blue eyed snake

strange sound in the head while meditating

question to the more knowledgeable members of this forum.

sometimes while I'm meditating I hear/feel a kind of sound in my head. it is a sharp sound, like two wet hands clapping, feels like something is short-circuiting. When it happens, most of the time it jerks me out of it. When it happens and I go along a strange silky feeling invades my body and I float away in I don't know where.

It doesn't bother me, but I'm curious if other people experience this too and what it could be

• Like 1

My own view would be that this is connected with the movement of energy up the Governor Channel. I have experienced similar phenomena during meditation and as you state that one of your interests is qigong this would be understandable.

Be sure to keep the tongue on the roof of the mouth whilst meditating as this will complete the circuit but otherwise do not worry about the experience. It is unlikely to continue for long but as it is enjoyable then make the most of it whilst it lasts.

thanks all three of you,

Chang writes basically, it is an energy related thing, and probably will go away after some time. By the way, it is not enjoyable, but it doesn't bother me either, just curious what it could be and if people recognize it.

A&P gives a like comment, that he's been looking for a potentially explanation of the ringing in his ears and found that it is probably related to energyblokkages. Same curiousness as mine, also a juniorbum :)

That ringing sounds not like tinnitus to me, I have experience with that. your experience is somewhat like to mine though. I found grounding exercises and while meditating closing the MCO helpful. Everything you can do to bring that energy down.

The sound I hear is not in the ears, but in the middle of my head...It's sharp and wet and ends in a vibrating thing, at the same time very short, a second or so. Has the effect of a school-bell at the moment you were so nicely daydreaming about something definitely not related to school

Nestentrie says to me, why should it matter, just let it be...if I understand it correctly. Sound advise, that time will probably come, but for now I'm looking for people with whom I can share a little of what I'm feeling/experiencing.

BES

There is only one truth, but it has many manifestations

The sound I hear is not in the ears, but in the middle of my head...It's sharp and wet and ends in a vibrating thing, at the same time very short, a second or so. Has the effect of a school-bell at the moment you were so nicely daydreaming about something definitely not related to school

Nestentrie says to me, why should it matter, just let it be...if I understand it correctly. Sound advise, that time will probably come, but for now I'm looking for people with whom I can share a little of what I'm feeling/experiencing.

Well, it wasn't so much that I was saying let it be (to ignore it), but you could be right that the right time may come. What I was more getting at was more along the lines that you've just volunteered with you second post; that there might be a place and nature to it; that it could be more than just a what; it could have a where and when to it.

If you want me to shoot from the hip it has something to do with a sentimental attitude. It has something to do with daydreaming (like you said) that's shorted out by an imcompatible instance of boredom and/or mordancy. Your baseline sense of irony and sarcasm fears no situation where it would be disapproved of.

What I further suspect is that this daydreaming has no 'what'. There is no object of the fancy and so when a 'who' interrupts there's no scheme in place to react.

I could waffle on, but this is the seed of what i'd name this.

I might add though that it isn't necessarily your character i'm attacking, just in those far away daydream moments something curious is happening.

Edited by nestentrie
  • Like 1

I read the original post when it fell in my mailbox. I see you edited your post to soften the message.

Took me some time to digest, first because your choice of words is difficult to me, I'm no native english speaker. When it became clearer to me what you mean it did, initially, hurt. But I can see truth in it

You have a sound intuition.

thank you

Grasping for straws with clubs in the dark via post 6? Are you impressionable Ms. snake? (which it partly sounds like to me and for what it might be worth?) Remember its often the "wild, wild west" out here on the internet with all sorts of gun slingers.

Edited by 3bob

Remember its often the "wild, wild west" out here on the internet with all sorts of gun slingers.

thanks for the warning, but it's just like the real world I suppose

Yeah I was a little harsh when I didn't need to be. I think the ideas sort of stand up, but perhaps I could have found a better way to put it without being so forward. Sorry if i hurt your feelings.

true about wild west

don't limit the sound/drift away phenomena to "energy phenomena"

play around it

learn to recognize when it's influencing you

maybe it will reveal more at a later date....

thanks for another warning, I hesitated to join the forum because of that wild-west, I've been reading for some weeks as a guest. It's good there is a pit, it's also good that the whole business of the mindf***g TTBs is there. Gives another vision on what actually happened...

But there seem to be some balanced and knowledgeably people around here too, so I took my chance .

As I understand your advice, it is good and can be generalized. Since I've been fiddling around with energy things happen, new sensations etc. first reaction is indeed, to limit it to energy phenomena. But now i read your post i think. Energy is a new factor, but body, mind, emtions and that new factor interrelate to each other, so keep a broad vision of what things can be. When it is not clear, it might reveal itself later. The later I know to be true about seeing things. At first it freaked me out. Then I wanted to know what it means. By now it feels like, most of the time the meaning reveals itself spontaneously, when not, time will come to make it clear. nothing to bother about.

Yeah I was a little harsh when I didn't need to be. I think the ideas sort of stand up, but perhaps I could have found a better way to put it without being so forward. Sorry if i hurt your feelings.

excuses accepted, no offense taken and no offense intended

the 'what' of what you wrote is bit beside the point i think, but the keywords you used touched home-base, ooow..

That said, the way you put it was, indeed, too blunt. That can cause people to eh...get in their corner and not to come out of it again. The " that's not me reflex.."

That's not what you wanted obviously.

In my job ( some time ago, I'm without one now) I use kind of the same intuition. When you look at patterns and words used. You can intuit what is beyond the question at hand. I mostly try to just mention those keywords, carefully. Like: I hear you say these things, does that mean something to you? and then going along with the ' topside question' When they're ripe for it people will come back to this ' keywordquestion' because they know, deep down, there's something to be won. When they're not ripe for it, best leave it alone ( or you'l get to be thrown in the pit ;) )

I hope I explained well what I meant, I find I have more difficulties to express myself in English than I expected.

like the principle that in trying to force someone to be good is bad... thus it can't really be done that way. (is what I'm hearing)

btw, there is a sub-forum called "women's cultivation" (which I've never visited yet) that you may want to check out...

question to the more knowledgeable members of this forum.

sometimes while I'm meditating I hear/feel a kind of sound in my head. it is a sharp sound, like two wet hands clapping, feels like something is short-circuiting. When it happens, most of the time it jerks me out of it. When it happens and I go along a strange silky feeling invades my body and I float away in I don't know where.

It doesn't bother me, but I'm curious if other people experience this too and what it could be

It's just a precursor to deeper stillness. If you stay relaxed it will take you deeper.

Hi BES

I remember once in meditation hearing a cosmically deep, rythmic booming sound. For a while I was simply attending to it, but after a while the monkey mind kicked in and asked: "what is it?"

My first theory was that a car was parked somewhere outside and had music playing extremely loud, but I could hear only the bassline.

Then I realised it was my own heart beating, and then I felt satisfied and didn't question it any further.

The point is, whenever we start to really go deep in meditation we start to hear new sounds. You will hear all sorts of theories, and these include inside and outside sources.

• Our homes are much creakier than we realise in our normal unconcentrated state (outer source, rational)
  • Your concentration is generating an energy field that causes smal corrections in the building structure (outer source, esoteric)
  • Fluid in your ears is settling due to your motionless state (inner source, rational)
  • Chakras in your head are unblocking due to your energy work(inner source, esoteric)
  • and so on...

If you are unintelligent you will attach yourself to one of these theories and it will satisfy you, just as I was satisfied by the heartbeat explanation.

The deeper truth lies in recapturing the moment of the sound and realising that the sound, along with all experience, actually defies explanation and exists in a state of mind where terms like inner and outer no longer obtain.

You are right to be encouraged by the phenomenon - the fact that it mystified you is a sign of progress - just don't let it drag you down into unnecessary intellectual explanation.

Nikolai

• Like 1

The deeper truth lies in recapturing the moment of the sound and realising that the sound, along with all experience, actually defies explanation and exists in a state of mind where terms like inner and outer no longer obtain.

thanks