wu_wei

Stillness-Movement and Growth

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a while, mostly reading and soaking in all the info I can find on S-M Neigong... I've meditated for years and dabbled in qigong but never found a system that fit. I've had interest in healing (I'm a massage therapist), Taoism, Shamanism, and energy cultivation practices.

After reading about S-M and the remarkable stories of healing, as well as reading Michael's book and practicing some GoT, I felt in my gut that I needed to pursue S-M and so I'm anxiously awaiting the next workshop...

I am still curious though about how those of you that practice S-M have seen changes manifest in yourselves and your lives... I've heard a lot about the healing and energy aspects but was wondering if I could coax some to share about the personal growth that the system has given them...

Thanks in advance

Edited by wu_wei

My hair has grown back.

(Seriously! Got video evidence and everything. I think it is just a fluke, though, so please don't be under the misconception that Stillness-Movement is a hair-growth solution...)

I have lots of odd occurrences now -- curious synchronicities, people giving me free stuff or buying things for me, people being drawn towards me when my shielding is inadequate, people simply not noticing me when my shielding is cranked up (people walking into me and being startled that they somehow missed the 6'3" 225-pound guy standing right in front of them, waitstaff taking everyone else's order and then realizing they somehow skipped me, that sort of thing).

That sort of stuff is kinda fun and amusing but nothing I put much weight on. What I do value, though, is the pervasive sense of patience & calmness the system cultivates.

This is a feedback mechanism in its own right, I think. Three foundational guidances from Master Wang are remain calm, be a good & moral person, and practice you qigong every day. Well, when you do this, it is self-reinforcing. I have always been a fairly level-headed and unexcitable person but practicing Stillness-Movement has transformed that -- I am now more in touch with emotions (a result of heart-center activation, I suppose) but I also radiate calm. I have had quite a few people -- coworkers, neighbors, family members, etc. -- comment on both my apparent serenity and the calming influence I seem to exert, and several have explicitly asked me what's going on. Attempts at explaining tend to generate glazed expressions, though.

I have written about this before -- it is all about vibrations. We are awash in a sea of vibrations and we generate our own. As we raise our vibrational frequencies and as we become better at listening, we become better at noticing the interactions between the ripples we create and the ripples we encounter. As we become more attuned to the will of the light, we become better at using our intent to affect these resonances -- and as our energy grows stronger, we begin to glow. People notice.

(This isn't the explanation I generally give to the mundane inquirer, mind you -- I tell them that I practice qigong, and then have to try to explain "qigong" (often ending with something to the effect of, "it's kinda like a combination of tai chi and meditation"))

So I think the greatest "personal growth" for me has been a profound improvement in my ability to take things more in-stride while at the same time being able to project calmness to others. This is truly a blessing to me and to others and it is a direct result of practicing Stillness-Movement. That's certainly not to say that other practices or systems don't or can't have similar effects, but I have not personally encountered anything else which is so powerful or so efficient.

Don't know if that's the sort of thing you were after, but...

:)

• Like 11

Hi Brian,

I love reading personal accounts of how practice changes lives--thanks for this! S-M is on my radar too. Am also a massage therapist, or used to be anyway, so I like the idea of something that specifically develops healing ability. Perhaps more important though is the other thing you mentioned: calmness. Sure could use more of that.

At the moment I´m still following through on other things, but if the moment seems right I´ll take a workshop or read the book. Appreciate your spreading the word so I know about the possibilities.

Liminal

• Like 2

My hair has grown back.

(Seriously! Got video evidence and everything. I think it is just a fluke, though, so please don't be under the misconception that Stillness-Movement is a hair-growth solution...)

I have lots of odd occurrences now -- curious synchronicities, people giving me free stuff or buying things for me, people being drawn towards me when my shielding is inadequate, people simply not noticing me when my shielding is cranked up (people walking into me and being startled that they somehow missed the 6'3" 225-pound guy standing right in front of them, waitstaff taking everyone else's order and then realizing they somehow skipped me, that sort of thing).

That sort of stuff is kinda fun and amusing but nothing I put much weight on. What I do value, though, is the pervasive sense of patience & calmness the system cultivates.

This is a feedback mechanism in its own right, I think. Three foundational guidances from Master Wang are remain calm, be a good & moral person, and practice you qigong every day. Well, when you do this, it is self-reinforcing. I have always been a fairly level-headed and unexcitable person but practicing Stillness-Movement has transformed that -- I am now more in touch with emotions (a result of heart-center activation, I suppose) but I also radiate calm. I have had quite a few people -- coworkers, neighbors, family members, etc. -- comment on both my apparent serenity and the calming influence I seem to exert, and several have explicitly asked me what's going on. Attempts at explaining tend to generate glazed expressions, though.

I have written about this before -- it is all about vibrations. We are awash in a sea of vibrations and we generate our own. As we raise our vibrational frequencies and as we become better at listening, we become better at noticing the interactions between the ripples we create and the ripples we encounter. As we become more attuned to the will of the light, we become better at using our intent to affect these resonances -- and as our energy grows stronger, we begin to glow. People notice.

(This isn't the explanation I generally give to the mundane inquirer, mind you -- I tell them that I practice qigong, and then have to try to explain "qigong" (often ending with something to the effect of, "it's kinda like a combination of tai chi and meditation"))

So I think the greatest "personal growth" for me has been a profound improvement in my ability to take things more in-stride while at the same time being able to project calmness to others. This is truly a blessing to me and to others and it is a direct result of practicing Stillness-Movement. That's certainly not to say that other practices or systems don't or can't have similar effects, but I have not personally encountered anything else which is so powerful or so efficient.

Don't know if that's the sort of thing you were after, but...

wow. yes, thanks for that response. i really love hearing how practices such as this create such change. now i'm even more anxious to get started... but i'll try to keep calm in the meantime ;). congrats on the hair growth haha :)

Edited by wu_wei
  • Like 1

Brian, I have actually heard the comment about hair growth many times from practitioners. Although I certainly wouldn't advise a person to start the practice just cause they were looking for that as it doesn't always accomplish that particular thing.

Wu_Wei, for me the practice is a way of life and I could choose no other. Physical help with my body, awareness growth, interacting with entire new worlds, helping others; all this is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 3

Wu_Wei, for me the practice is a way of life and I could choose no other. Physical help with my body, awareness growth, interacting with entire new worlds, helping others; all this is just the tip of the iceberg.

that sounds amazing. i can't wait to get started!

Dreamed of this thread and felt the need to return to it to add an important."growth aspect" I neglected yesterday -- my rational mind chose to not mention that Stillness-Movement has helped me to see that the rational mind is a usurper...

• Like 7

A couple of questions:

I've heard Michael talk about how the only incompatible methods with S-M are "forced methods". Can someone explain what a forced method is and give some examples???

Also, I just received GoT II and SECA... on it, he recommends doing GoT I for a few months prior to GoT II or SECA. What is the reason for this? I'm assuming that the moves are more powerful but what exactly could occur if one proceeded ahead of time (not that I'm going to... just curious :) ) ?

For those who may have noticed and wondered "what happened?", the posts in this thread related to the next scheduled Stillness-Movement workshop (March 21, 22 & 23 in Springfield, Missouri) were split out into a new thread in the Upcoming Events sub-forum.

The qigong sets build upon each other energetically. If someone is learning them on their own from DVDs, it would definitely make sense to have GOT I well in-hand before starting to learn GOT II.

At a Stillness-Movement workshop, though, these two sets are taught the same day. Because the information and energy delivered at a workshop is so densely packed, a student who goes home and practices every day will retain enough to be able to practice both GOT I & GOT II.

Make sense?

EDIT: Seems an attendee at last month's workshop spoke to this question, too (funny how that happens...):

http://thetaobums.com/topic/37448-stillness-movement-march-2015/?view=getnewpost&fromsearch=1

The qigong sets build upon each other energetically. If someone is learning them on their own from DVDs, it would definitely make sense to have GOT I well in-hand before starting to learn GOT II.

At a Stillness-Movement workshop, though, these two sets are taught the same day. Because the information and energy delivered at a workshop is so densely packed, a student who goes home and practices every day will retain enough to be able to practice both GOT I & GOT II.

Make sense?

gotcha. thanks.

Hi wu_wei,

I stumbled across your post and thought I would contribute from my beginners point of view:

I am still curious though about how those of you that practice S-M have seen changes manifest in yourselves and your lives... I've heard a lot about the healing and energy aspects but was wondering if I could coax some to share about the personal growth that the system has given them...

In my opinion one of the beauties of this system is, that it blends in so perfectly with the "normal" life. It's not like - switch on: practise time - switch off: everyday life. No, it is constantly present in a calm yet powerful and profound way.

You asked about growth and you want examples?: I'll put the spotlight on the last two days of my life: Yesterday I was running - half an hour with trying to keep awareness on Dan Tian. I was then started doing GOT I beween old trees when I heard a dog running at me with slight snarling - it stopped at a distance of 10 feet and walked peacefully away. I noticed that the Chi from earth felt different there due to the trees. I discovered new energetics within one of the moves. Than I ran back with some sprints in beetween - again with trying to slightly focus on Dan Tian. I wasn't able to do much sports the last 6 months, so I expected quite sore mucles for today - but nothing!

Today it had about 41F outside. I'm still wearing my autumn jacket - one year ago I would have frozen even with a winter jacket.

My wife had an appointment today at the physician where she had to give a blood sample. She is _very_ afraid of needles. I held her hand and projected calmness, while the sample was taken. Later I asked her if she had noticed, what I did. She replied yes, she had felt a wave.

I've heard Michael talk about how the only incompatible methods with S-M are "forced methods". Can someone explain what a forced method is and give some examples?

More than a decade ago I tried another form of Chigong for a couple of months. At that system you had to focus on certain spots of the body, visualising golden light collecting here and there and squeezing it sometimes even with muscle power through certain body parts and than circle it exactly x times counterclockward in an upward spiral. This was exaggerated of course. But not that much...

The qigong sets build upon each other energetically.

Absolutely! SECB+DE is part of GOT II but can be practised separately. SECB+DE alone is beautifuly. GOT II including SECB+DE is amazing. And GOT I followed up by complete GOT II is just about incredible. And I am afraid, I am just scratching the surface...

I wish you all the best!

• Like 1

<snip>

...GOT I followed up by complete GOT II is just about incredible. And I am afraid, I am just scratching the surface...

<snip>

This is definitely worth repeating.

• Like 1

i've been practicing a particular kundalini kriya (a meditative exercise) that consists if repeatedly pumping the belly at the area of the lower dantian (right below the navel). this kriya is designed to stimulate the rising of the kundalini in a gradual manner by starting at 3 minutes per day, adding a minute every day or so, and gradually increasing the length of time up to 31 minutes.

my question is, is the above considered a "forced method" or will it interfere with S-M practice?

i've been practicing a particular kundalini kriya (a meditative exercise) that consists if repeatedly pumping the belly at the area of the lower dantian (right below the navel). this kriya is designed to stimulate the rising of the kundalini in a gradual manner by starting at 3 minutes per day, adding a minute every day or so, and gradually increasing the length of time up to 31 minutes.

my question is, is the above considered a "forced method" or will it interfere with S-M practice?

No need to artificially stimulate as Stillness-Movement allows this in a natural manner and at a totally different vibration level. So, in answer to your question, our practice would supplant the other one. Non-forced = allowing to happen naturally instead of forcing one thing while ignoring other things.

• Like 1

No need to artificially stimulate as Stillness-Movement allows this in a natural manner and at a totally different vibration level. So, in answer to your question, our practice would supplant the other one. Non-forced = allowing to happen naturally instead of forcing one thing while ignoring other things.

o.k. thanks Michael

Definitely take care in such actions as mentioned above. As you become sensitive to the inner energies it is possible to see how pumping actions in many areas will create movement of energies - but this application is more along the lines of Western Medical approaches to energy - focused non-wholistic stimulation for a specific result - regardless and unaware of the repercussions to other systems and supporting systems that are not involved naturally in the processes you are pulsing into your focused practice.

Quality natural unforced unfoldment of these refinements is by far the quickest way because it is also reinforcing and fostering the communication between yourself and the great vehicle you reside in. All the short cut methods are enticing but result in a longer road and often a great separation from the communion of spirit in body by fostering a notion of mind over body and subjugation.

• Like 2

Definitely take care in such actions as mentioned above. As you become sensitive to the inner energies it is possible to see how pumping actions in many areas will create movement of energies - but this application is more along the lines of Western Medical approaches to energy - focused non-wholistic stimulation for a specific result - regardless and unaware of the repercussions to other systems and supporting systems that are not involved naturally in the processes you are pulsing into your focused practice. Quality natural unforced unfoldment of these refinements is by far the quickest way because it is also reinforcing and fostering the communication between yourself and the great vehicle you reside in. All the short cut methods are enticing but result in a longer road and often a great separation from the communion of spirit in body by fostering a notion of mind over body and subjugation.

Agreed. I am NOT a fan of those methods. Not needed.

ok, thanks for the input. i was trying it out because it was suggested by a friend that teaches kundalini yoga but i wasn't feeling a real resonance with those practices in general. i'll back off and just keep going with GoT until the workshop.

So what's up with my legs getting shaky while doing GOT I ? :)

Just noticed this post -- question still stand?

After a three-year-or-so hiatus I am back into Stillness-Movement, only now it feels like I'm REALLY in it for the first time. I guess I've always been a late bloomer at everything, but it's as if the workshop I organized and attended in 2012 has really begun to kick in just lately. 

I now get grabbed by the vibration throughout the day and begin nodding and circling along without even thinking. The energy is doing its thing constantly and all I have to do is the 1 hour sitting a day to keep it going strong, or as it seems, ever stronger.. Of course I do some GOT now and then as a supplement, but the sitting is what's really happening for me at the moment. This is the opposite of the situation in 2012, when sitting often felt like a bore and a chore. 

I bet most seasoned practicioners can't even recall all the funny or strange "co-incindences" that have happened since they took this path. It's just something that comes along with it.

It's also funny how when you're tuned out of these vibrations, you get easily lost into mundane thinking, and stop regarding the higher levels as important, or even existing. After re-starting this practice a month or so ago, my view was turned upside down in just a couple of days, and the LIGHTer side is definitely up  :)

Highly recommended, and please do give it the time & effort it requires!

• Like 6

Awesome!

Remember that the practices complement each other. Sitting, standing, GOT, etc.

• Like 2