gabrielnb

Xin Zhai Fa meditation and Zen

Hi, fellows,

I have been alternating my meditation practices with heart purification meditation (Xin Zhai Fa) and Zen. Although similar, the first is taoism and the second is budism. As further as I know, the first method consists in closing your eyes, place your hand with the tao handsight (or sometimes a mudra similar to the cosmic mudra, but with the right hand resting on the left) on your underbelly, and forget everything while in this practice, except the awareness of breathing, in order to approach the natural way of Dao. And after the meditation finish there is some energy work to perform with hands (kind of a massage. The second (zen meditation), as it's known, consists in overcome the mind in order to attain the perception of the true reality, awakening for here and now. Although similar, in Zen eyes are lightly open and the cosmic mudra is done as follow: left hand resting on the right hand. But besides the similarities, results differ from each practice. From my point of view, Xin Zhai Fa makes me more relaxed, in a natural state, and lesser anxious, while Zen brings me a sense of joy, a conexion with the all.

I would like to integrated both of them. Anyone has some experience to share about mixing meditation styles?

Thanks,

Gabriel.

Zen is very brainy and tao stuff usually involves everything. Couldn't find what xin zhai fa is after a few minutes on Google so I really have no idea. Everything has a time and place.

I've been wanting to get that book...

About the different results...well, perhaps it's because in one you are forgetting or basically relaxing and being natural...and in the other you have the goal of overcoming the mind (perhaps you mean like silencing the thoughts). Different intentions and goals produce different results, although they are very similar. How do you calm the mind...do you just give yourself space to do nothing, or do you try and make it calm directly...