NazunaFlower

Raising kundalini following 'Introduction to Kundalini and Tantra' by Swami Satyananda Saraswati

Hy everyone! I've followed the introductory practices described in the first part of the book for five months; they consist of exercises aimed to open the chackras which are preparatory for the integrated chackra awareness and the beginning of the kriya yoga practice.

I've gained more awareness of the chakras but I don't feel anymore the prana flowing which I used to fell months ago while doing other tipes of meditation. I wonder if anyone has followed the practices of this book in order to share experiences about what to expect in the next phases of kriya yoga practice.

Hi NF,

Is this the book you are following?

http://www.kundaliniawakeningsystems1.com/downloads/kundalini-tantra_swami_sathyananda_saraswathi_%28176pg%29.pdf

Have you done the monthly sections of practices in order?

These are very powerful practices and it would be good to have a guru or someone to consult about the effects.

Just the first month's practices are worthy of mastery.

Not feeling the prana moving can be a good thing because it is said that when you feel it, it is because of obstructions or blockages. Kind of like having dirty pipes. When the pipes are clean, there is less resistance.

Is there an ashram close to where you live?

Can you describe your daily routine?

:)

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 1

Hi NF,

Is this the book you are following?

http://www.kundaliniawakeningsystems1.com/downloads/kundalini-tantra_swami_sathyananda_saraswathi_%28176pg%29.pdf

Have you done the monthly sections of practices in order?

These are very powerful practices and it would be good to have a guru or someone to consult about the effects.

Just the first month's practices are worthy of mastery.

Not feeling the prana moving can be a good thing because it is said that when you feel it, it is because of obstructions or blockages. Kind of like having dirty pipes. When the pipes are clean, there is less resistance.

Is there an ashram close to where you live?

Can you describe your daily routine?

Yes, the book is the one you posted...I've done the practices following the order of the book, doing only the main ones for all the chakras: during the last period I've split the routine in two parts, one in the morning and one before going to bed because it would take too much time to do all the excercises at one time (it takes me about an hour in the morning and 45 minutes at night).

Unfortunately there are no ashrams near the place I live, and my schedele is quite busy so I doubt I would be able to stay there for a suitable period of time even if there was one... :-)

Yes, the book is the one you posted...I've done the practices following the order of the book, doing only the main ones for all the chakras: during the last period I've split the routine in two parts, one in the morning and one before going to bed because it would take too much time to do all the excercises at one time (it takes me about an hour in the morning and 45 minutes at night).

Unfortunately there are no ashrams near the place I live, and my schedele is quite busy so I doubt I would be able to stay there for a suitable period of time even if there was one... :-)

Hi NF,

Sorry, it's taken me a few days to get this in order..

Kriya Yoga is sort of one flavour of Kundalini yoga and there are many flavours. Raja Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Hatha Yoga, etc. In one way or another, their main purpose is to cleanse and open the central channel (sushumna) and accompanying nadis.

To answer your question specifically, about the effects of working with the various chakras and what to expect, there certainly is allot of information all over the web about it.

While I did practice SRF for 3 years (including the Energization Exercises), I did not log those experiences. I did, however, log a major part of my experiences with 'kundalini yoga' and AYP's customized/bastardized practices here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3691&whichpage=1

While I don't recommend following AYP's practices and advice because there is much misinformation there and a poor understanding of Patanjali's 9 limbs of yoga and the fact that you shouldn't mix TM with kundalini practices, I did document some of my experiences there. I also documented my eventual understanding that TM is not Patanjali's method of dhyana, dharana, samadhi. So, if you decide to examine AYP, examine the many posts about overload and the fact that AYP (Yogani) does not ever bring the practitioner beyond a most rudimentary understanding.

However, you wanted to know about what to expect in your Kriya Yoga practices.

The first source that comes to mind is Ennio Nemis. He has written about his practices and experiences.

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Home.html

On that site you will find a link to his book(s) Part 1, 2 and 3. The book is an interesting read and will help to give an understanding from one point of view.

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

As well, since Yogananda's patent ran out on the main Kriya Yoga practices, it is now for sale on Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/Kriya-Yoga-Swami-Yogananda-ebook/dp/B00BWF3XHY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1421264007&sr=1-2&keywords=yogananda+paramahansa+books

Other sources, which I have found to be so wonderful are these:

Gurudeva, my favorite Guru!!!

His book called "Merging With Shiva" is the best. (While this is not kriya yoga but raja yoga, it is still very relevant and is a treasure chest of information about the chakras, kundalini, meditation, etc).

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/merging-with-siva

This is Gurudeva. What a wonderful aura.. !!

Also, Sri Anandi Ma is my kundalini guru, from whom I received shaktipat in absentia. I wrote about the ten day initiation's experiences in the first link's thread that I posted from AYP.

http://dyc.org/kundalini-maha-yoga/anandi-ma/

I assume that you've read "Autobiography of a Yogi - Yogananda", and "Kundalini - Gopi Krishna".. You might also want to get a copy of the Bhagavadgita, if so inclined.

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it will give you a better idea of some things to explore.

I will also add this. Ajna, the point between the eyebrows is the gateway into subconscious. When ida and pingala are balanced (the air flows evenly in both left and right nostrils), it is easy to activate this gate. From here, you can go deep into the subconscious, or outwards into other planes. Most of the practices involving Anja (third eye) involve maintaining consciousness in order to train the consciousness to remain active while exploring/entering the deeper realms. The practices help establish and maintain a link so that the deeper realms (subconscious) can be seen and brought to the light of consciousness. When you start to succeed at maintaining a connection while 'deep diving', you will start to see images, hear sounds and lights and have any of a number of experiences (clairvoyance, clairaudience, intuition augmentation..etc) It is important to realize that the experiences are a by product of deep-diving and serve as sign posts along the way. Don't fixate on them nor seek them. They will arise naturally if you follow the practices.

TI

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi NF,

Kriya Yoga is sort of one flavour of Kundalini yoga and there are many flavours. Raja Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Hatha Yoga, etc. In one way or another, their main purpose is to cleanse and open the central channel (sushumna) and accompanying nadis.

To answer your question specifically, about the effects of working with the various chakras and what to expect, there certainly is allot of information all over the web about it.

While I did practice SRF for 3 years (including the Energization Exercises), I did not log those experiences. I did, however, log a major part of my experiences with 'kundalini yoga' and AYP's customized/bastardized practices here:

While I don't recommend following AYP's practices and advice because there is much misinformation there and a poor understanding of Patanjali's 9 limbs of yoga and the fact that you shouldn't mix TM with kundalini practices, I did document some of my experiences there. I also documented my eventual understanding that TM is not Patanjali's method of dhyana, dharana, samadhi. So, if you decide to examine AYP, examine the many posts about overload and the fact that AYP (Yogani) does not ever bring the practitioner beyond a most rudimentary understanding.

The first source that comes to mind is Ennio Nemis. He has written about his practices and experiences.

On that site you will find a link to his book(s) Part 1, 2 and 3. The book is an interesting read and will help to give an understanding from one point of view.

As well, since Yogananda's patent ran out on the main Kriya Yoga practices, it is now for sale on Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/Kriya-Yoga-Swami-Yogananda-ebook/dp/B00BWF3XHY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1421264007&sr=1-2&keywords=yogananda+paramahansa+books

His book called "Merging With Shiva" is the best. (While this is not kriya yoga but raja yoga, it is still very relevant and is a treasure chest of information about the chakras, kundalini, meditation, etc).

Also, Sri Anandi Ma is my kundalini guru, from whom I received shaktipat in absentia. I wrote about the ten day initiation's experiences in the first link's thread that I posted from AYP.

I assume that you've read "Autobiography of a Yogi - Yogananda", and "Kundalini - Gopi Krishna".. You might also want to get a copy of the Bhagavadgita, if so inclined.

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it will give you a better idea of some things to explore.

I will also add this. Ajna, the point between the eyebrows is the gateway into subconscious. When ida and pingala are balanced (the air flows evenly in both left and right nostrils), it is easy to activate this gate. From here, you can go deep into the subconscious, or outwards into other planes. Most of the practices involving Anja (third eye) involve maintaining consciousness in order to train the consciousness to remain active while exploring/entering the deeper realms. The practices help establish and maintain a link so that the deeper realms (subconscious) can be seen and brought to the light of consciousness. When you start to succeed at maintaining a connection while 'deep diving', you will start to see images, hear sounds and lights and have any of a number of experiences (clairvoyance, clairaudience, intuition augmentation..etc) It is important to realize that the experiences are a by product of deep-diving and serve as sign posts along the way. Don't fixate on them nor seek them. They will arise naturally if you follow the practices.

TI

Wow!! Thanks a lot, that's really a lot of information and very interesting stuff!!! It'll take me a week only to have a look at all this material...I'm really excited because that's just was I was hoping for!!

Tomorrow I'll begin the integrated chakras practice and I'll begin to read the Ennio Nimis's Kriya Yoga book. Hope to have some new experiences to share soon :-)

I'm also interested in your shaktipat experience, so I'll definitely have a look at the link you posted...I came across a site called kundalini awakening system mantained by Chrism who gives a shaktipat in absentia and I was wondering if this really worked and how it connects with the individual practice of kriya yoga...

Hy everyone! I've followed the introductory practices described in the first part of the book for five months; they consist of exercises aimed to open the chackras which are preparatory for the integrated chackra awareness and the beginning of the kriya yoga practice.

I've gained more awareness of the chakras but I don't feel anymore the prana flowing which I used to fell months ago while doing other tipes of meditation. I wonder if anyone has followed the practices of this book in order to share experiences about what to expect in the next phases of kriya yoga practice.

my 2 cents worth would be to not try and raise Kundalini by reading techniques off a book, doesn't matter who has written it.

Find a good teacher and learn under his/her guidance.

When I started Tamil Siddhar Yoga, my teacher wouldn't let me do asana practice for first 6 months. He would make me lie down on my back and do what he called merudanda shuddhi (purifying the spinal column). Doing the simple techniques that were part of the purification was so intense that my head felt like it would burst. Until eventually one day it stopped feeling that way. Then he started asanas for another 6 months. After the first year he introduced pranayama. Not the way most popular pranayama is taught. First thing to learn was glottis control - how to lengthen the inhalation and the exhalation. After that was breathing inhalation and exhalation in a specific ratio. After several months of that, he introduced internal breath holding (antara kumbhaka). After a few months of that he introduced bahya kumbhaka (external breath holding).

The pranyama was done while cycling through hand mudras. The combination (and culmination of practice) raised the kundalini safely and soundly. It is not dramatic and explosive if we do the practice right. Along with yoga practice you have to follow the yamas and niyamas (do the right actions and follow the rules).

Read Patanjali's Yoga Sutras for details on the 8 limbs of Ashtanga Yoga if you haven't already. It is very easy to get carried away and think we can read books and learn this stuff. But this is dangerous if not done correctly.

Of course there are those of us who think they are doing this stuff but actually are deluding themselves. That is dangerous too, because they think they have attained something and then teach another generation of charlatans. Case of the blind leading the blind...so CAVEAT EMPTOR

• Like 4

Lets keep a little open minded. A valuable practice I picked up at an ashram was using a neti pot. Who'd of thought something as strange pouring salt water down one nostril til it flowed down the other would have such benefits (for allergy, congestion, cold avoidance). Yoga goes incredibly deep, with neti use probably in kindergarten level.

As Dwai's earlier post pointed out this stuff moves slowly yet builds foundationally. As you move on from posture to breath to mastery of body, mind and spirit to spiritual reunion where you talk to the (Hindu) gods themselves.

Mercury has a special place in most alchemical traditions. It wouldn't surprise me at high master level, I'm talking those who've dedicated there lives, practically every waking moment to yoga and have been doing it most of there lives have a frickin crazy practice involving mercury. And unless your at crazy master level, its ridiculous and perhaps suicidal.

Highest level yoga is indeed down a rabbit hole. Not my cup of tea, but they're fascinating to talk to.

Let me throw the conversation a bit back to the OP.

How high a level should we consider Kundalini? In the West its often considered very high, but is it really just mid level?

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

but is it really just mid level?

Its high level for those seeking power over wisdom. For those seeking wisdom over power, its merely a support.

Isn't wisdom the highest power?

Good question, and one which depends entirely on the practitioner's priorities and what he or she sees as a culmination of practice, imo. Individuals have their own satisfaction threshold, right? When that perceived threshold appears and transformation is effected, often that transformation is seen as some sort of achievement (for eg, Kundalini).

For those whose aim is tied to wisdom, then that vision should not be viewed as a kind of benchmark, since a benchmark or threshold implies a limiting factor. It would be more appropriate to view it as more like a peeling away of something, gradually, layer by layer, transiting from one platform to the next, and back if necessary, if that makes any sense. Since wisdom is not any sort of siddhi in the conventional sense, it cannot, by virtue of its limitless potential, rightly be called a 'power'.

Hi NF,

TI

Thank you for this wonderful information.