thelerner

It is really cold here in the Midwest

A high of 4, low of -7 and no sun.

brrrr rrr.

yet.. the investor in me thinks.. when the going gets cold, look at all the beaten down natural gas stocks.

• Like 2

A high of 4, low of -7 and no sun.

brrrr rrr.

yet.. the investor in me thinks.. when the going gets cold, look at all the beaten down natural gas stocks.

Well, it got cold here in Florida too but luckily not that cold.

It's been above freezing here in Blighty this past few day but very windy.

Overall mild for the time of year though.

Still time for it to get worse.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Sunspot number: 101
What is the sunspot number?
Updated 09 Jan 2015

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 0 days
2015 total: 0 days (0%)
2014 total: 1 day (<1%)
2013 total: 0 days (0%)
2012 total: 0 days (0%)
2011 total: 2 days (<1%)
2010 total: 51 days (14%)
2009 total: 260 days (71%)

Sept. 30, 2008: Astronomers who count sunspots have announced that 2008 is now the "blankest year" of the Space Age.

As of Sept. 27, 2008, the sun had been blank, i.e., had no visible sunspots, on 200 days of the year. To find a year with more blank suns, you have to go back to 1954, three years before the launch of Sputnik, when the sun was blank 241 times.

"Sunspot counts are at a 50-year low," says solar physicist David Hathaway of the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. "We're experiencing a deep minimum of the solar cycle."

~160 for 2007

lagtime

the end of solar cycle 24 is prolonged, weak, double peaked (both hemispheres not even close to peaking at the same time)

decrease in size of stratosphere/mesosphere

conservation of momentum

wobble wobble ever present polar vortex

retarding configuration or the large planets doesnt make the whole scene look good for the upcoming decade or two.

I hope flowing hands' prediction was wrong, but 2+2=gongfu

• Like 2

I am out in the desert Southwest basking in the sun with a unbearable temp. of 75-80. Just don't know if I can handle it. :lol:

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

I am out in the desert Southwest basking in the sun with a unbearable temp. of 75-80. Just don't know if I can handle it. :lol:

you hang in there :glare:

Anyone seen Mallard ducks roosting on a wire? Down here on the Colorado river there is a tension wire across the river and the ducks roost there all night. At least 50 or more can be seen. Evolutionary adaptation? Although, their webbed feet seem to lack the ability to grip. I have seen these birds hang on in 40 mile per hour winds.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

This may be a bit too far out there still but....

These little fluctuations are just the start...We're in for a bumpy ride, devastatingly cold weather, probable mass migrations out of places too far from the equator. Maybe not within our lifetimes but highly likely within several generations. The increase of ice will also probably push up sea level and take out some would-be safe island nations. Humanity may survive, but the majority of civilizations most likely will not (I'm talking waayyyy into the future here), as will any memory of the world before.

On the bright side though, this stretch of solar activity (the last 10-20,000 years) has given us a good run. Although we pretty much started from scratch and are still kind of lost, maybe we have/will be able to achieve enough to come out better off this time.

Edited by Silent Answers

let's not call an end to the holocene just yet :) but yeah I do get the sense that when I'm at the mendenhall in 20 years I'll be comparing my 1987 pictures to its extent.