Sign in to follow this  
Bum Grasshopper

Uncontroled body movements during meditation

I have started a seated meditation routine for a week now. As soon as I get my mind to quiet down, my body starts twitching uncontrollably. First my legs, then my arms and torso. It is like my body has the hiccups, only it has no rhythm. I do a few chi kung movements before to help relax and get my breathing in order.

Am I doing something wrong. or will this pass with experience?

It's like what happens sometimes when falling asleep and the body twitches as your thought mind makes the transition to body mind. It will pass / transition as the sand continues to settle. A Good Signpost.

Spectrum

A few twitches would not concern me, but this is almost constant, almost like having a seizure. I also get these fathom itches that feels like a hundred mosquitoes have landed in one spot. If I try to ignore it, they bite!

Have you ever had a seizure?

Twitches are different than muscle contractions. FOllowing the flow of breath is really great. The phantom twisting twitches that bite are real. Worse for some people then others. Usually when standing meditation is first turned on. WuJi seems like a kind of time capsule for your bodymind. Past trauma is released and old body memory restored. For something so simple it is a powerful practice because instead of laying more onto ourselves are strip away the layers. Seeking the Original.

I am surprised your having those after doing some chi gung movements (standing or sitting chi gung?) because usually that evens things out nice. Usually the initial hum of wuji has a soothing effect, and then as more time is spent an amplification process. What it sounds like your experiencing are the effects of the wuji hum on your meridians and it's a new experience for them. Best guess. Meditation is powerful weather sitting or standing. Your experience is proof of the realities of subtle energies, and the circulation of what the Chinese call Chi. (my perspective choice)

I assume you are doing some type of Taoist style emptiness meditation quieting dialog and bringing the eye of awareness to the dan tien / hara / psychophysiological center.

Good Times,

Spectrum

Everyone's experience is different.

I don't itch myself but I have read that itchiness is often experienced by those adjusting and improving a blood deficiency and any heart condition.

Just don't scratch.

Uncontrolled body movements are pretty common and normal.

Edited by lotusbud

I have started a seated meditation routine for a week now. As soon as I get my mind to quiet down, my body starts twitching uncontrollably. First my legs, then my arms and torso. It is like my body has the hiccups, only it has no rhythm. I do a few chi kung movements before to help relax and get my breathing in order.

Am I doing something wrong. or will this pass with experience?

How many times has it happened, and was it decreasing in strenght?

Currents can be fear or stress vibrating outwards. It is a good thing. Remember to breathe.

A few twitches would not concern me, but this is almost constant, almost like having a seizure. I also get these fathom itches that feels like a hundred mosquitoes have landed in one spot. If I try to ignore it, they bite!

Both of these phenomenom are classic to the awakening process. The movements are referred to as kriyas in some traditions. The mosquito feeling or ants crawling is also common. It is the lifeforce or kundalini. You can always ask that it be gentle with you if it is too much. Otherwise surrender into it and let go, nothing to be afraid of but fear itself :) Sounds like you have a tremendous opportunity for spiritual growth :)

Best!

MatthewQi

Thank you all for your replies.

No, I have never have had a seizure, Nor do they run in my family.

I do standing chi kung, a few movements to work the kinks out and even out breathing. I do emptiness meditation by concentrating on breathing from the tan t'ien, then just letting my breathing quiet with the mind.

I have just done seated meditation for about a week now. First couple times went well. The third time is when the itching appeared. Then the twitching of the legs and itching. Now the itching has wained and the twitching has increased.

Your replies have given me the confidence to keep trying and welcome the phenomena as natural.

Yesterday the itching and twitching seemed to decrease in both intensity and frequency. Just being aware of them kept them at bay, but as thoughts emptied they returned. I just treated them as distractions and went on. Hope they disappear soon. It is quite annoying.

i remember reading somewhere that when the mind silences enough, and awareness learns to leave the constraints of the body, the body will itch incessantly. bodily sensations, as such, are always secondary to the actual spiritual growth that one can encounter and are not to be scolded or ignored.... but acknowledged just as the rising of thoughts. in time, i am sure that it will settle.

persistence is key :)

What helped me when I was having a period of twitchy seated meditation was working out. Long hard exertion. Exhausting my body a bit smoothed out physical and mental kinks.

Michael

Yesterday the itching and twitching seemed to decrease in both intensity and frequency. Just being aware of them kept them at bay, but as thoughts emptied they returned. I just treated them as distractions and went on. Hope they disappear soon. It is quite annoying.

Do you have a teacher?

Are you sure the qigong exercises you do are ment to calm you down?

Sometimes the contrast between energizing exercise and going straight to sit down meditation can be too forceful. Remember you are a very fine instrument.

(This contrasting can be used as a tool; fex spinning and the sudden stopping, but I believe it would just bring discomfort done out of context.)

I would think the qigong should be enough, just use the standing meditative pose to secure the ditribution of energy throughout your body and meridians in the end. Swaying, jumping, twitching, mumbling, ...supposedly all normal responses. "Plumbing was stuck" ;)

It is quite annoying.

:lol:

many annoying things will happen whilst meditating, if your response is annoyance.

I sympathise, grasshopper, with having to put up with physical distractions. Try to keep your mind quietly where you want it to be and not engage with what is happening. Maybe you can sink your headbrain down to your dt.

A useful technique. I use it now at the dentist, also!

Do you have a teacher?

I have a chi kung/ tai chi instructor, but no meditation instructor. I can not find a resource locally for meditation instruction. I am going by what I have read in books/online.

I am happy to report that I had a nice 25 minute session last night with no twitching and very minimal itching! Very relaxing and refreshing! Finally the result that I expected!

Sign in to follow this