ChiDragon

Who I don't want to be my Teacher?

Actually, I had started with the 108 form of Yang Style Tai Ji. There are to many steps which are repeats. So, I wanted try to do something simpler. I tried the 24 form but it is too simple. Thus I like the 40 form better is because it is the pure Yang Style as compared to others which are mixed with other styles like "Wu". I can repeat the 40 form many times without the feeling of being monotonous. The reason that I teach the 24 form is because the people at the senior center want to learn the shortest and simplest form.

Last Tuesday, a very cold day, the members told me they had never felt warmer after the practice before. Even, the lady was very cold most of the time and always ask me to turn the ceiling fans off. I asked them did they feel like that six months ago. They said no. That was encouraging. I told them how to breathe exactly as how I had mentioned here. They were even appreciate the comfort with the breathing in zazen as the way I've told them.

• Like 3

I read just a topic ... The first thought I got, was, this is a useless thread ... :P Just my opinion, nothing personal ... :ph34r:

• Like 1

I read just a topic ... The first thought I got, was, this is a useless thread ... :P Just my opinion, nothing personal ... :ph34r:

Don't go away. There are more to come...... ;)

Wait til I respond to Steve's comment.

Good god...that is not what I am referring to... I want to know why you said "If someone tells me that Chi Kung has nothing to do with breathing, then, I will walk away speechless."

I am really curious where that came up in this discussion or if was on one of the videos...

Oh....yes.

I haven't got to the comments on the first video yet on Tai Ji vs Shiaolin. It has a lot to do with the way in breathing.

Edited by ChiDragon

Ok. I understand.

I just found it odd the comment came from out of nowhere, like a I missed someone elses post.

Ah!

Well, you did...

This thread was a derailment in another thread. The original thread is about the saying "when the student is a teacher will appear" and this showed up as a side-topic so one of the forum's moderators split it out into a separate thread to preserve the original.

If a teacher got good Kung Fu in his Chi Kung, Karate, or Tai Ji, he be good to learn from... that there is a safe bet.

Sure....!!! This Kung Fu is not that Kung Fu as in Kung Fu...... :D

If there is only one teacher in the area, then, one should sign up and learn as much to get a good feel of what martial arts are all about. I would just go learn the most basic fundamental stuff and get out. If the teach is good, then, stay.

Edited by ChiDragon

When things make no sense at all it is a great opportunity to let the mind rest in what it does not know.

If we think we know something, we've already polarized from what we do not know, making a choice to hold this and discard that, even though both are part of us.

Sometimes quickest way to the freedom of wholeness is to let go of all attachments.

But then if one does not attach to their central gravity, one might be blown off track.

Sincerely following one's inner heart, one is not pulled off track.

When things make no sense at all it is a great opportunity to let the mind rest in what it does not know.

If we think we know something, we've already polarized from what we do not know, making a choice to hold this and discard that, even though both are part of us.

Sometimes quickest way to the freedom of wholeness is to let go of all attachments.

But then if one does not attach to their central gravity, one might be blown off track.

Sincerely following one's inner heart, one is not pulled off track.

Let go of all attachments but follow one's inner heart still ended up with " If we think we know something, we've already polarized from what we do not know."

Let go of all attachments but follow one's inner heart still ended up with " If we think we know something, we've already polarized from what we do not know."

Perhaps at first one might want to rely on thought to develop a deeper connection to their center. But the point is that by following their center, no thinking is necessary.

And to tie this back into the topic, the more one is connected to their center, the less they will need to rely on judgements of the mind to discern where they belong or who the right teacher might be. The more one develops trust for their own natural and beautiful way, the more the way will become synchronized with their surroundings, naturally drawn to timely resonances.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 1

Master Hu

Just food for thought...

I train with 2 Men. My Main Style is Bak Fu Pai, with Sifu Joel Rizzo, a Direct Lineage disciple of Grandmaster Doo Wai.

The other is Ken Cohen who was taught by Grandmaster Feng Zhi Qiang and Madame Gao...Both Master Hu's Students.

I have only recently learned the Hun Yuan. I enjoy it Immensely.

• Like 1

The is one way to choose a teacher. Here are some of the things that is dead give away not to learn from this individual.

If someone claim that he teachs

1. Chi Kung and Kung Fu.

2. Karate and Kung Fu.

3. Tai Ji and Kung Fu.

Of course, this is only my opinion but I would use it as a guideline to choose my teacher.

Pretty sure the Wudang monks practice Chi Kung and Kung fu, no?

• Like 1

I will make it very brief here about Tai Ji and Kung Fu.

Tai Ji takes a long time to bring it to perfection. It is a from of Chi Kung as well as Neigong. The primary reason for people to practice Tai Ji is for health. At the beginning of the practice, there are alots of hard work in breathing and movements for building up the body inner strength. After few years of practice, then it may be applied to have the function as Kung Fu.

In general, people practice Kung Fu is for self defense. Of course, it may not exclude health for some. Kung Fu is not as refine as Tai Ji. Sometimes, it is very vigorous and pretty aggressive. It consumes lots of body energy during practice. Thus it cannot be classified as Neigung(內功) as Tai Ji. It would be more appropriate to classify it as Weigong(外功).

These two techniques are almost the opposite of each other. It is difficult to practice them at the same time. If a person wants to practice both, then, Tai Ji should be practiced first. However, after a person have brought Tai Ji to its perfection, then, there is no need to learn Kung Fu or doesn't want to learn it at all. Needless to say, one may not have perfected the prowess of Tai Ji, yet, if one claims one knows Kung Fu and Tai Ji.

Interesting this. I must admit my kung fu training is strenuous and can sometimes leave me frustrated.

The internal elements are certainly there but not emphasised enough imo.

• Like 1

Of course, Wudang priest practice Chi Kung which the main practice for longevity. However, when we are talking about Kung Fu, we need to know that there are many styles and their characteristics. Wudang has its own style of Kung Fu. Normal Kung Fu is pretty rough as compare to Tai Ji and Chi Kung. Since they are Taoists, thus their Kung Fu styles are not as rough as the Shiaolin monk styles.

Interesting this. I must admit my kung fu training is strenuous and can sometimes leave me frustrated.

The internal elements are certainly there but not emphasised enough imo.

I glad that you have experienced with this which make it easier for us to communicate..... :)

May I point out that practicing Kung Fu is consuming lots of body energy while Tai Ji or Chi Kung produces more energy that one can handle.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

I will make it very brief here about Tai Ji and Kung Fu.

Tai Ji takes a long time to bring it to perfection. It is a from of Chi Kung as well as Neigong. The primary reason for people to practice Tai Ji is for health. At the beginning of the practice, there are alots of hard work in breathing and movements for building up the body inner strength. After few years of practice, then it may be applied to have the function as Kung Fu.

In general, people practice Kung Fu is for self defense. Of course, it may not exclude health for some. Kung Fu is not as refine as Tai Ji. Sometimes, it is very vigorous and pretty aggressive. It consumes lots of body energy during practice. Thus it cannot be classified as Neigung(內功) as Tai Ji. It would be more appropriate to classify it as Weigong(外功).

These two techniques are almost the opposite of each other. It is difficult to practice them at the same time. If a person wants to practice both, then, Tai Ji should be practiced first. However, after a person have brought Tai Ji to its perfection, then, there is no need to learn Kung Fu or doesn't want to learn it at all. Needless to say, one may not have perfected the prowess of Tai Ji, yet, if one claims one knows Kung Fu and Tai Ji.

I cant believe what a fantastic waste of time you are for the forum in posting garbage like this. You have made so many poor assertions over the years, I find it hard to believe that there would be much of any depth to what you impart on a student. You intellectualize and rely on poor scholarly translations that are mostly devoid of any deeper real meaning to them. Stick to those scholarly translations, CD, you are not doing anyone any favors by leading people with made up ideas that simply sound logically coherent when one has no understanding of what gong fu is.

Question: Who I don't want to be my teacher ?

Answer: ChiDragon

I had a calc teacher who was supposedly brilliant but she couldnt speak a lick of english as far as I was concerned. Needless to say, the entire class did not do well that semester and I made sure to avoid such juxtapositions in the future.

I'm sure there is somewhat less confusion in the native tongue, but given some of the assertions Cd has made over the years I dont think it can all be attributed to poor translation.

If a teacher (or an analog of Brian's example, a doctor) cannot communicate effectively then the entire relationship has been severely hobbled. (and I'm not talking hobbled like the 2x4 and sledge in the movie Misery, I'm talking the book where she really did chop his ankles off and torched the burnt ends...)

Note to self, dont click on threads CD has started, you will not get those minutes back.

• Like 1

Good morning, Joe.

I thought you knew a lot about Kung Fu too; but what have you told me....???
Let's not start a Kung Fu fight here because it is too rough for me.

Anyway.....happy new year.

PS.....
Throughout the year, I have learned to suppress my anger with anyone. It's not worth it to loose my temper over some naive issues.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Well, practice Chi Kung first will keep one's mind in tranquility. It may suppress the aggressiveness in the later stage of Kung Fu if one decided to practice it. If one starts with the practice of Kung Fu to begin with, then one may not attain to a peace of mind as a Chu Kung practitioner would.

When CD says "kung fu" here, I receive it as "hard martial arts," i.e. the traditional western perception of "kung fu," and not the "great skill accomplished through hard work" that is the root of the term and which may be applied to anything one develops great skill in, including gardening or cloud watching.

But the western concept of "kung fu" serves what CD is speaking to, I believe. Hard martial arts are just that, hard. If they are not focused internally, there is a lack of balance. If they are focused internally, there must be balance between cultivation and issuing. I've been taught it takes years of cultivating softness before true inner power emerges, and then things change. So if one is attempting to issue and expend more than one cultivates, where is one really going? It might be important to understand this balance when evaluating martial arts schools... depending on one's goals.

CD - I sense the heart of what you are communicating (or hope I do, somewhat at least), and think it is just not coming through as clearly as you intend. Please keep trying, and keep working on refining. I like your contributions and have a lot of respect for the inner work you do. I'd recommend to not suppress, but to transform any emotions into fire to contribute to your inner work.

• Like 2

When CD says "kung fu" here, I receive it as "hard martial arts," i.e. the traditional western perception of "kung fu," and not the "great skill accomplished through hard work" that is the root of the term and which may be applied to anything one develops great skill in, including gardening or cloud watching.

But the western concept of "kung fu" serves what CD is speaking to, I believe. Hard martial arts are just that, hard. If they are not focused internally, there is a lack of balance. If they are focused internally, there must be balance between cultivation and issuing. I've been taught it takes years of cultivating softness before true inner power emerges, and then things change. So if one is attempting to issue and expend more than one cultivates, where is one really going? It might be important to understand this balance when evaluating martial arts schools... depending on one's goals.

Wow......

Thank you for your understanding. May I add something to your comment about the term "Kung Fu". It has two homonyms.

1. 工夫: hard work; great effort; great skill

2. 功夫: martial arts.

In you comments, the former is item #1; and the latter is #2.

I do appreciate the last comment. May peace be with you.

Happy new year.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Many moons ago I once had a qigong and taiji teacher who was also a 6th Dan taekwondo and hapkido instructor. He was Korean and very, very good.

CD, your logic is flawed and bizarre. Not only in this thread, but many others.

• Like 1

I cant believe what a fantastic waste of time you are for the forum in posting garbage like this. You have made so many poor assertions over the years, I find it hard to believe that there would be much of any depth to what you impart on a student. You intellectualize and rely on poor scholarly translations that are mostly devoid of any deeper real meaning to them. Stick to those scholarly translations, CD, you are not doing anyone any favors by leading people with made up ideas that simply sound logically coherent when one has no understanding of what gong fu is.

I had a calc teacher who was supposedly brilliant but she couldnt speak a lick of english as far as I was concerned. Needless to say, the entire class did not do well that semester and I made sure to avoid such juxtapositions in the future.

I'm sure there is somewhat less confusion in the native tongue, but given some of the assertions Cd has made over the years I dont think it can all be attributed to poor translation.

If a teacher (or an analog of Brian's example, a doctor) cannot communicate effectively then the entire relationship has been severely hobbled. (and I'm not talking hobbled like the 2x4 and sledge in the movie Misery, I'm talking the book where she really did chop his ankles off and torched the burnt ends...)

Note to self, dont click on threads CD has started, you will not get those minutes back.

LOL.

• Like 1

......... I'd recommend to not suppress, but to transform any emotions into fire to contribute to your inner work.

Thank you for your advice.

Well, "transformation" can be easily done under no pressure.

"Suppress" sounds so unwillingly is because it is. Suppression is a much higher level in the cultivation of the mind.

Edited by ChiDragon

Many moons ago I once had a qigong and taiji teacher who was also a 6th Dan taekwondo and hapkido instructor. He was Korean and very, very good.

CD, your logic is flawed and bizarre. Not only in this thread, but many others.

I am sure your teacher is very good.

My friend, there are many levels of very good to one's satisfaction. I am very happy for you if you are happy where you are. Your further comments are welcome if it can alleviate your hostility toward my posts.

Thank you for your advice.

Well, "transformation" can be easily done under no pressure.

"Suppress" sounds so unwillingly is because it is. Suppression is a much higher level in the cultivation of the mind.

I would point out to casual observers that this is not a shared view. Suppression can lead to sickness, so I would ask that this quote should be taken with a grain of salt.

In my experience suppression is an easy route, taken by many, thus it leads to many illnesses. Transformative training (Of the mind) requires time and constant work.

As for the rest of this post I would suggest we look at it from this point of view. Are we being Fundamentalist? Are we so secure in our personal views that it must apply to all?

The idea of the Tao is to explore it, physically and mentally, as graceful as our current understandings will allow. I most certainly do not have all the answers, yet few truly do.

The idea is for us to explore it individually and discern good advice derived from experience or bad advice derived from ego. That in itself becomes a great source of learning.

• Like 1