Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

Why do we take life so serious? When did it start?

One day I catch myself seeing the world burn and feel catastrophy are on the horizon due to the immense suffering humanity creates all ... the ... time ...

Then I feel my emotions and they just underline all of this. Gut-area. It feels so serious. Life-threatening. All about our human feelings.

And then, after a while, something lifts the heaviness off of it ...

Are these really the magical qualities of 'Shen' ?

Edited by 4bsolute

I don't take life seriously any more. Oh, sure, I take care of business but I don't worry about whether I do it today or tomorrow. I stayed in my jammies all day today because it is too cold for me to go outside.

Yeah, maybe its magic that lifts us up. Maybe it is just that we appreciate that we are still here and that is enough to lift us up.

• Like 3

In the KAP practice they do the Secret Smile practice. You fill yourself up with Confidence, circulate it.. then Humor, then Love, then Sexual energy.. The more I've done the practice the more I understand the value of Humor. Its so much for chuckles or laughter, the side of humor is it doesn't take the world too seriously. It allows us to laugh at ourselves and the craziness of the world and all the set backs that befall us.

Once we've give up our humor we've lost an important tool for keeping happy and sane in the world.

later add> For anyone interested here's a description and discussion of the Secret Smile http://thetaobums.com/topic/9719-dr-morriss-secret-smile-breathing-basic-kap-1-giri-for-the-tao-bumbs/?p=116420

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Up until we moved here back in October I was a pretty laid back sort.

Got the job done and never worried about anything at all.

Mrs GMP used to say...

" you don't have a nerve in your body."

Since we have relocated and I have retired it has hit me just how much needs to be done and my limited capabilities to do stuff.

Hence right now I tend to take things very seriously indeed to the extent that I have been thoroughly miserable this two months and more past.

Comparing my ' Don't worry be happy' self to who I am right now I much prefered the old GMP to this current manifestation.

Hey ho.

:(

Edited by GrandmasterP

Up until we moved here back in October I was a pretty laid back sort.

Got the job done and never worried about anything at all.

Mrs GMP used to say...

" you don't have a nerve in your body."

Since we have relocated and I have retired it has hit me just how much needs to be done and my limited capabilities to do stuff.

Hence right now I tend to take things very seriously indeed to the extent that I have been thoroughly miserable this two months and more past.

Comparing my ' Don't worry be happy' self to who I am right now I much prefered the old GMP to this current manifestation.

Hey ho.

:(

Shantideva said we can become less miserable when we actually go looking to find opportunities to lessen the misery of other beings despite our own discomfort. No act of kindness is insignificant - even a simple act of lifting an earthworm (when seen) off the hard gravel or tarmac and returning it to the soft grassy area will help. Help who, one might ask... the earthworm, of course!! Thats the whole point - our actions must be aimed at reducing self-cherishing. Self-cherishing, when over-emphasised, transforms into misery. But most people, out of sheer habit, only want to know, "Whats in it for me? How does helping an earthworm return to its habitat reduce MY misery?" Thinking so, we will have missed it completely. Genuine compassion does not contain any 'whats MY Benefit' anywhere. True and lasting benefit comes when we totally forget the self - then, everything becomes fresh, open, clear, expansive, and unobstructed... all these are profoundly beneficial for the soul.

Heres a look at the principle of 'Forgetting the self' from a psychoanalytical perspective:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/douglas-labier/why-learning-to-forget-yo_b_660571.html

A common type of compassion is practicing kindness so that we expect to get something in return; there's a more noble aspect to it, which is to spontaneously realise that all beings want exactly what we want - freedom from sorrow, pain, anguish, despair etc. If we can keep increasing this realisation, then each time we remember it, we are one step closer to buddhahood. Loving Kindness is not a doctrine -- it is a state of mind.

I apologise if this comes across as preachy, but im sincerely trying to offer some light to your predicament. If its not helpful, or if you find this condescending, then simply put it aside as nonsense.

• Like 4

I apologise if this comes across as preachy, but im sincerely trying to offer some light to your predicament. If its not helpful, or if you find this condescending, then simply put it aside as nonsense.

Well, if that didn't help then it's too late for anything. Hehehe.

But really, that is a great philosophy.

So he has things to do. Okay. That's a reason to keep on living. When we die, what we didn't get done won't matter any more.

• Like 2

I love Shantideva "The way of the Bodhisattva". I have a great audio of it done by Pema Chodran on Chapter 5. I used to listen to it at night before bed. It would bring me to such a peaceful place...and if I forgot to shut it off I had really neat dreams!

• Like 3

Hows mrs GMP like the new hard working GMP? Better not work too hard or she wont let the old GMP come back :P

For me being serious lets me get ahead in the direction i want to head. To rise above any shit in my life, further cultivate a perfect life.

• Like 2

Hows mrs GMP like the new hard working GMP? Better not work too hard or she wont let the old GMP come back :P

She has called me her 'domestic god'.

Today I vacuumed all downstairs and then mopped all the laminate floors whilst Mrs GMP was out shopping.

After two days of visitors with four humans, five dogs and our cat in here it needed doing.

It doesn't take nearly as long to do that as it did in the old place either.

That said, due to our proximity to the shore I wonder sometimes if we don't get almost as much sand in here as there is out on the beach.

:)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this