Owledge

The dark figure of autism cases in society

I feel compelled to write about this because lately it has become very bothersome again.

After many experiences, observations and ponderings, it seems obvious that the medical science of mental disorders is way too much in a yes/no diagnosis mindset, when those things should be regarded as a sliding scale of great width.

Usually something is diagnosed as a mental illness when it is causing problems, because that is drawing attention. Anything below that certain threshold will go unnoticed.

Things like autism could very well be something present in very many people.

But even apart from this, what I realized (again) lately is that when you are having a discussion with someone on the internet, you usually have no idea about the things they might even have been diagnosed positive for.

You'll probably agree that it's relatively common to have an experience of talking to someone who will automatically always believe they're right, disregard the message contained in your writings and fixate on formalities, is unable to follow abstract thoughts and tends to become arrogant and seems like they just don't want to understand your point.

Well, did it ever occur to you that they might act like a douche because they're autistic?

I've had my share of experiences with people I know are autistic, and they confirmed many suspicions I had before.

So just like sociopathy isn't a yes/no question, but more defines notions in someone's personality, autism seems to be very widespread. And it wouldn't surprise me. It would explain cause and effect, the self-amplifying problem-complex in society of unhealthy imbalance towards the controlling mind. Autists will appear to be operating extremely from their left brain hemisphere, and that's pretty much the antithesis to the stereotypical relaxed weed smoker who is easy to get along with.
There is a huge imbalance in society. It is grand scale sickness. Such grand scale that it can make healthy-minded people feel like they are the abnormal ones. (In the truest sense of the word they might actually be abnormal - meaning healthy.)

Add to this all the other types of jerkassery of people that are, too, based on the same imbalance in the brain. Especially lately I have experienced people just making shit up contrary to easily perceivable reality just so that they could satisfy their obsessive desire for commanding other people around and enforcing their fascist ideas of total order and tidyness in the world; And simply pointing out the obvious facts is like kryptonite to their bullshit.

I might be quite compassionate, but I'm also quite sensitive, and sometimes the extent of all this is really pissing me off and I need some off time. There just seem to be very few places where one can have some relief from it unless there are no people there. I'm trying to resist the wave of sickness, but it exhausts me. I even tried giving in to it (several times), but I got feedback that that's not an option either. The more shit I try to tolerate/deny, the more I embolden it. That's why I get angry/bitter sometimes. It seems like the only sane reaction and like we need much more of that.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 2

This certainly rings true to me, Owledge.

Your opinion is very precious to me.

You were mentioning rings...

Your opinion is very precious to me.

You were mentioning rings...

Yea, I sometimes leave them in bathtubs, you see.

Rings, I mean. Not opinions.

Although, on second thought...

• Like 1

Yea, I sometimes leave them in bathtubs, you see.

Rings, I mean. Not opinions.

Although, on second thought...

Did you ever come across a ring that can turn you invisible and potentially gives you unlimited power?

If so, would you give it to me?

It's just for sentimental value.

I need to see that bathwater! Do you still have it?

Did you ever come across a ring that can turn you invisible and potentially gives you unlimited power?

If so, would you give it to me?

It's just for sentimental value.

I need to see that bathwater! Do you still have it?

Yeah, but I only have one of them.

The bathwater I just keep in the tub until it is all used up -- usually good for six months or six baths, whichever comes first. Want me to send you a chunk of it?

Out of curiosity, have you need this TaoMonster fellow?

• Like 1

Your rant seems to have little point but I'm glad you had an outlet to vent in. Shit I'm an autistic weed smoker. Psychopathy (sociopath isn't used any more in clinical settings) is very much a yes/no question as fMRI studies show significant difference in psychopaths' brain structures. Remember that the Internet provides a screen so that one can easily dehumanize the person on the other end because all one sees is an avatar and their text. Human social interaction is not just the content of our words but also tone of voice, body language, and pheromones. Without any of the other sensory information to inform you the interaction is largely incomplete.

Your rant seems to have little point but I'm glad you had an outlet to vent in. Shit I'm an autistic weed smoker. Psychopathy (sociopath isn't used any more in clinical settings) is very much a yes/no question as fMRI studies show significant difference in psychopaths' brain structures. Remember that the Internet provides a screen so that one can easily dehumanize the person on the other end because all one sees is an avatar and their text. Human social interaction is not just the content of our words but also tone of voice, body language, and pheromones. Without any of the other sensory information to inform you the interaction is largely incomplete.

Funnily, I can spot the autism in this, according to my experiences.

You say it seems to have little point, but the point is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm pointing out something that might enlighten people's interactions with others.

Whether sociopathy is still officially used in clinical context is not that relevant because one of the points I clearly made is that clinical definitions (as you then focus on) are somewhat arbitrary. They don't change the fact that tendencies can be gradual. And sociopathy does have its place apart from psychopathy, because it is a lack of social intelligence and related abilities, and lumping it together with psychopathy is, again, causing a potential problem that I pointed out. It compels people to only acknowledge sociopathy once it crosses a threshold of perceived illness of the psyche. I do think though that if the term "psychopathy" is stripped of its loaded connotations due to said severity threshold and related diagnoses, it could fit into the sociopathy definition, since psychopathy is defined as a problem, and it is society that defines whether something is a problem to it. It's all about social concerns.

Definitions and decisions don't create truth.

Your commentary was pretty much directing focus away from my point so that you could claim my writings had little point.

Edited by Owledge

This might be of interest:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

FWIW, my contacts in the mental health profession say off the record that autism is the current over-diagnosis of choice in the US and they speculate this is because of the life-long support industry the diagnosis creates. I suspect it is fostered by government because it creates a new recipient group. Those contacts also tell me they see a strong correlation between parental drug use indicators and autistic children.

This might be of interest:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

FWIW, my contacts in the mental health profession say off the record that autism is the current over-diagnosis of choice in the US and they speculate this is because of the life-long support industry the diagnosis creates. I suspect it is fostered by government because it creates a new recipient group. Those contacts also tell me they see a strong correlation between parental drug use indicators and autistic children.

It's also a motivation and not a proof of falsity.

The problem is significantly based on that digital mindset and according diagnoses. If 50% of a population was diagnosed with autism, then the idea of medicating all of them would reveal its absurdity and would point people towards finally looking at the root causes.

You need an accurate diagnosis before you can scrap the diagnosis itself.

Edited by Owledge

Hello Owledge,

We must ask our selves seriously the question: is psychiatry a science or a belief system? It is compiled by a very small specific subgroup of people who compile the lists of "dis-order's"; who, in many cases it could be well said, have acute cases of OCD themselves; thus the relative pot is rather labelling the kettle black.

Savants have always been little understood by scribes; the difference today is the way our economic performance based society and its cattle farm like education, segregates people ... The now egocentric scribes are oblivious to their intellectual incompetence; yet they have passed all the exams and are rewarded financially for it.

Psychopaths would surely make an excellent soldier or perhaps a front man, for an incompetent scribe who profess superiority by way of force and manipulative illusion/delusion.
Where then one might ask; is the mental illness; in the pot, the kettle, or is it perhaps the label itself?

To my mind the only difference between genus and genius, is having the right mix of the correct traits at just the right time.

Kind regards.

Edited by iain
  • Like 1