Sign in to follow this  
SecretGrotto

Applying for Heavenly Pension

I want the ultimate benefits/renumeration package:

1. Comprehensive Medical Insurance - A guarantee of perfect health and vitality; miraculous high speed recovery after injury; Perfect healing of all untreatable and terminal conditions; Preemptive protection against accidents, injury and bad luck; Insures a very long, healthy and happy life with an instant exit strategy option; Family Coverage, which insures healing for all friends and family.
  2. Comprehensive Subsistence & Travel - Removal of all need and desire for food or water; Dramatic decrease in the requirement for Oxygen; Miraculously providing for all needs when they arise; Immortal Class travel seats - ability to transfer instantly to any location; Global Diplomatic Passport - skips all border checks and allows entry into any place; Interplanetary and interdimensional travel with no limits.
  3. Complete Welfare Plan - Insures real, perfect, ever increasing Joy, Bliss, Happiness and Fulfillment under all conditions; Removes completely the dependence on and desire for anything Manifest; Provides constant communion with an Infinite Intelligence and (at will) everything Manifest.
  4. Complete Renumeration - Ability to manifest all conditions or things at will, yet having no need to do so.

I was thinking about The Saint with Two Bodies, i.e. Pranabananda and how he talks about his Heavenly Pension:

"You know, I am enjoying two pensions. One is by the recommendation of your father, for whom I once worked in the railroad office. The other is by the recommendation of my Heavenly Father, for whom I have conscientiously finished my earthly duties in life."

I found this remark very obscure. "What kind of pension, sir, do you receive from the Heavenly Father? Does He drop money in your lap?"

He laughed. "I mean a pension of fathomless peacea reward for many years of deep meditation. I never crave money now. My few material needs are amply provided for. Later you will understand the significance of a second pension."

Pranabananda meditated for 8 hours a day, even with a full time job, for something like 10 years.

I'm in the gathering stages of applying for a Heavenly Pension, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

• Like 4

I would ask the question: You aren't asking for much, are you?

but that just doesn't fit well because you surely asking for a lot.

I had to work hard for mine.

• Like 1

"Why are you stupefied at all this? The subtle unity of the phenomenal world is not hidden from true yogis. I instantly see and converse with my disciples in distant Calcutta. They can similarly transcend at will every obstacle of gross matter." - Swami Pranabananda

When reading "Taoist Yoga", it quickly becomes clear that obtaining anything less than True Immortality and Merging with Nature, is failure or a half-success.

I'm aiming for the stars so that I can at least reach the moon.

• Like 3

I'm aiming for the stars so that I can at least reach the moon.

Yes, it is good to reach far. But we should not pull our arm out of its socket.

Lots of luck with that immortality stuff.

Well, even reaching a condition similar to the quote from the Swami - especially with the last sentence. (Sure, it is possible in the mind but not in the physical realm.)

• Like 1

"Why are you stupefied at all this? The subtle unity of the phenomenal world is not hidden from true yogis. I instantly see and converse with my disciples in distant Calcutta. They can similarly transcend at will every obstacle of gross matter." - Swami Pranabananda

When reading "Taoist Yoga", it quickly becomes clear that obtaining anything less than True Immortality and Merging with Nature, is failure or a half-success.

Swami Pranabananda life was fascinating. Short lived, died at 45, he packed alot of life into those years. Starting as something of a priviliged spendthrift, thrown out of his family house at 22, finding and founding his own way. Very interesting. http://www.yoganiketan.net/swami-pranabananda-paramhansa/life-sketch-of-swami-pranabananda/home.html

back to OP

There is the question of aiming high or low. To be the simple desireless (possessionless?) or strive for godlike bliss and powers (manifest all conditions and things).

Being relative novices we crave the high. Fantasize about it. Yet I have a suspicion as we cultivate higher we gravitate to the low. As we get more accomplished we drop the desire to manifest stuff, be it fine clothes, TV's, even bliss. Like the famous zen ox pictures we drop all pretenses and become simple travelers, ultimately not becoming gods as much as blending into all.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

When I was studying Nisargadatta I came close to many of these things. Somehow my unmanifest self became my primary reference point. I knew that I:

1) Could not be harmed by anything. Aggression, violence, accidents, all potential for physical illness, etc. turned into farts in the wind. I couldn't be touched by these things.

2) Had no needs. Food, water, sunlight, oxygen, a planet to live on, a home, none pertained to me.

3) Created and bloomed in everything, particularly in nature. I perceived flowers, rain, sunlight, beautiful things as my creations. I saw the effortless effort with which I created things over timeless ever-present eons.

4) Could and would manifest anything that was needed at the right time. I put no particular effort into anything and everything came. I was not like a master searching for my lost dog.

However, I...

1) Was still treated as an individual by others and this created tension in my practice.

2) Was impressionable and insecure. Social situations caused anxiety for me.

3) Needed daily stabilization through meditation.

4) Was putting a tremendous amount of thought and effort and reading into maintaining an elevated state of consciousness.

Today I feel that a balanced existence is one in which one foot is in the world and one out. This sense-oriented consciousness requires a planet with water and oxygen and plant life and sunlight and food and all that jazz, so I'm content with that. I coined the term "terrestrial consciousness" to refer to what we experience on this planet. Sometimes I see the planet from afar in my mind, and I understand that this consciousness IS the sustained harmony of sun energy, movement, absorption and sharing of energy through death, digestion, etc. etc., and that alone brings me into a state of awe and appreciation.

But the "needs" of the terrestrial consciousness are kind of hilarious at times, because the whole thing seems to be without purpose.I think the identification that arises in the heart of the consciousness, with the name and sensations of the body, merits a heart-pounding, gut-wrenching, infinite and pitiful laughter. It truly is a terrible and painful position to find ourselves in, thinking we have somehow been squeezed exclusively into this tiny, fragile, suffering body, and exist in any way "independently" of the holistic infinite moving cause and condition and character of all existence. As I see it, the terrestrial body and its sense organs are not myself, nor is the planet, solar system, universe, or subtle space in which it manifests, but somehow it also is myself. They are all a part of one another. I don't know. It doesn't translate well into language. We have based our language on the premises of localization, and this is a very delocalized conception of interaction and causality.

This is probably not a whole perspective either. I think the alternation of insufferable agony and confusion, and the growth of love and joy and wisdom within the local body must indicate some importance to this embodiment stuff, and I find that those who refuse to be embodied come off as a bit delusional for this reason. There's a balance. Closest I've come to understanding why any of this happens is in Sufi cosmology and Zoroastrian esoteric texts on the structure and process of the soul's journey.

Edited by Yasjua
  • Like 3

I would ask the question: You aren't asking for much, are you?

but that just doesn't fit well because you surely asking for a lot.

I had to work hard for mine.

Well now ... maybe that old cow still got a bit of milk left in her ? ( Imagine the taxes you would now have to pay to support him ! )

Gotta admire it though :) .... that good old human trait of

"I want the lifestyle that I believe I should be accustomed to ! " (sounds like my exGF ;) )

Swami Pranabananda life was fascinating. Short lived, died at 45, he packed alot of life into those years. Starting as something of a priviliged spendthrift, thrown out of his family house at 22, finding and founding his own way. Very interesting. http://www.yoganiketan.net/swami-pranabananda-paramhansa/life-sketch-of-swami-pranabananda/home.html

:D .... maybe thats what happened to my exGF too ?

It took me 47- years work to earn my earthly pension. That Heavenly Pension sure sounds to have better benefits though. :)

some start with a heavenly pension .... not that I believe in 'western karma' or its transference through 'rebirth', but I often wonder why I reap so much 'this time around' ..... I musta done something to deserve it .... or maybe, as people often tell me 'you slipped up and landed on a silk pillow with a cocktail in your hand' .... and I didnt come from a rich family either- they are just as infuriated by my 'luck' as the rest of them ^_^

But then again, others look at me and think "Poor guy! I wonder what happened to him?"

white wing tips, giant flat screen TVs and Armani suits were not a part of my 'retirement plan'.

Edited by Nungali

When I was studying Nisargadatta I came close to many of these things. Somehow my unmanifest self became my primary reference point. I knew that I:

1) Could not be harmed by anything. Aggression, violence, accidents, all potential for physical illness, etc. turned into farts in the wind. I couldn't be touched by these things.

2) Had no needs. Food, water, sunlight, oxygen, a planet to live on, a home, none pertained to me.

3) Created and bloomed in everything, particularly in nature. I perceived flowers, rain, sunlight, beautiful things as my creations. I saw the effortless effort with which I created things over timeless ever-present eons.

4) Could and would manifest anything that was needed at the right time. I put no particular effort into anything and everything came. I was not like a master searching for my lost dog.

However, I...

1) Was still treated as an individual by others and this created tension in my practice.

2) Was impressionable and insecure. Social situations caused anxiety for me.

3) Needed daily stabilization through meditation.

4) Was putting a tremendous amount of thought and effort and reading into maintaining an elevated state of consciousness.

Oh dear .... the no water and no need to breathe thing started me .... and then I thought you wrote " Needed daily stabilization through medication "

Glad you found some balance.

Throw yourself into the material! Grab it, wrestle it, bight it !

Bleed on it !

Consume it ... and be consumed by it! How can this effect spirit ? It is the 'spiritual sensorium'

You already know the next bit ... but anyway :

Not of the world (your 'spirit' ) but in it.

Eventually, one gets to the next stage .... yes of the world and in it. .... its a very 'spiritual' world actually. Just need to get away from all the modern crap and you will see that;

Australian-Landscapes.jpg

• Like 1

Being relative novices we crave the high. Fantasize about it. Yet I have a suspicion as we cultivate higher we gravitate to the low. As we get more accomplished we drop the desire to manifest stuff, be it fine clothes, TV's, even bliss. Like the famous zen ox pictures we drop all pretenses and become simple travelers, ultimately not becoming gods as much as blending into all.

I've always thought that, as one's consciousness vibrates at a higher rate one's reality, environment and temptation also reflects that vibratory level. The temptations quickly become more sublime as the courser temptations are rejected, and thus it becomes harder for the practitioner to avoid the temptations.

i.e. the higher one progresses, the more difficult it becomes to reject temptations and advance. The desire to be virtuous and remain in the world is also a temptation.

"At this particular period the mind-will should come to be at a constant standstill and remain more firmly than the Alps in the emptiness, and be as dead as the ashes burnt down thousands of years ago. Even though enchanting sounds come up you should hear nothing; though wonderful sceneries present themselves before your eyes you remain indifferent to them.

"You should purge all passions completely of your heart, and never be proud of being in possession of miraculous power as I described before, and you should be as heartless as a stone, without any feelings. In brief, to prevent the foetus of your true self from being gone forever you must discipline your heart to be as nonchalant as possible, to be as dead as ashes burnt down thousands of years ago." - http://www.taoiststudy.com/content/step-17-raise-fotus-true-self-three-years-time-1

• Like 1

"You should purge all passions completely of your heart, and never be proud of being in possession of miraculous power as I described before, and you should be as heartless as a stone, without any feelings. In brief, to prevent the foetus of your true self from being gone forever you must discipline your heart to be as nonchalant as possible, to be as dead as ashes burnt down thousands of years ago." - http://www.taoiststudy.com/content/step-17-raise-fotus-true-self-three-years-time-1

I like what your saying, but I don't want to be completely without passion or be heartless as stone. Not yet anyway. Right now it'd be nice to water down my desires into preferences though.

Nice link. I'll have to take a deeper look into that site.

• Like 2

I like what your saying, but I don't want to be completely without passion or be heartless as stone. Not yet anyway. Right now it'd be nice to water down my desires into preferences though.

No ... join us:

"From now on, pay no attention upon anything, the two eyes abstain from gazing outwardly, the two ears from hearing the outside, be on a vegetable diet, shorten the time spent on sleep, refrain from talkativeness and laughing, give up all contemplation and desires, court no comfort and ease, have no interest in differentiating the beautiful from the ugly. In this way you cleanse your heart constantly, as like a cicada drinking dew. After a long time you will feel refreshed and spirited. Like a tortoise remaining motionless in its dead-like state, you will imperceptibly prolong your lifetime and release you from the regularly unavoidable torture by ailments.

"However, the precaution you should take is to discipline your heart is to guard against "five swindlers"---the eyes, ears, the nose, tongue, body---from surging up to wear away the pre-heaven nature from outside or within. Only when there is not any one of the seven kinds of emotions--joy, anger, melancholy, anxiety, grief, fear, and terror--- arising, the first five yin pre-heaven mind-wills responsible for producing the senses of taste, sight, hearing, smell, touch remain peaceful, two eyes gaze inwardly, two ears hear inwardly, the nose smells inwardly, the tongue rises gently against palate, the whole body remains motionless in silent sitting posture, the mind-will settles inwardly in lower elixir field, and fertilizing fluid (Jing) remains indifferent to any temptation, you are qualified for further advance in the pursuit of Tao." - http://www.taoiststudy.com/content/step-5-administer-fertilizing-fluid-jing1

• Like 1

"With the same determination, if the generative force is gathered for another hundred days an additional sixty-four chu of vitality are gained while the positive principle is increased to two units; the body now becomes very strong and all ailments vanish.

If the gathering of generative force continues for another hundred days an additional sixty-four chu of vitality are gained with the positive increased to three units; all cavities in the body are cleared for rejuvenation, and the practiser's steps are light and quick with clear sight and good hearing.

With continuous advance for another hundred days, another sixty-four chu of vitality are gained with the positive principle increased to four units; the practiser now feels very comfortable like a wealthy man who has all the means to enjoy life; his skin is lustrous and his white hair turns black (as before).

After another hundred days, a further sixty-four chu of vitality are gained while the positive principle increases to five units; his spirits are very high and new teeth grow to replace the fallen ones.

After yet another hundred days, another sixty-four chu of vitality are gained with the positive principle increased to six units; he enjoys the cream of life while restoring (his body) full to its all-positive state..." - From Taoist Yoga p. 19

If I may share, this morning after two weeks of following the Taoist Yoga instruction, I felt very comfortable. Uncharacteristically comfortable. It occurred to me that bliss must be a state of extreme comfort, because the feeling bordered on bliss. It is such a magnificent feeling and accomplished practisers are really underselling it, although I experienced just a glimpse as a beginner.

Most books you will read on spiritual cultivation thoroughly undersells the pricelessness of this deepening comfort. It is something, if someone has a glimpse of it, will forsake everything to pursue it. It is a wealth that makes you feel like a wealthy man, even if you have no earthly possessions, and makes you enjoy the cream of life. Oh, what wonder!

May all men learn the proper methods of sublimating generative force and treasuring vitality, as outlined in the incomparable Taoist Yoga.

• Like 3

Grotto, I've been thoroughly interested in this thread since its conception as I have a very strong affinity with the transparency of Yogananda's autobiography. I haven't heard too many others talk so openly about the profound and miraculous side-effects of spiritual practice. I believe the miracle aspect of teachings is so frequently left out so as not to draw the wrong kind of attention, but for someone like myself who has experienced countless miracles associated with an elevated state of consciousness, the book was priceless in showing me that I am not alone or simply delusional.

I agree that many many teachings "undersell" (your words) the magnificence of spiritual practice and awakening.

I looked up your above quote and found the book you're reading and decided to order it for myself. I have fallen out of any sort of practice for the past two years and I think I'm coming around to cultivating again, and I feel this book might be an excellent place to pick back up.

• Like 2

Nice link. I'll have to take a deeper look into that site.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” – R. Buckminster Fuller

:) have your cake and eat it, its just a bit of a trick to figure out how to do both at once :lol:

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 1

Grotto, I've been thoroughly interested in this thread since its conception as I have a very strong affinity with the transparency of Yogananda's autobiography. I haven't heard too many others talk so openly about the profound and miraculous side-effects of spiritual practice. I believe the miracle aspect of teachings is so frequently left out so as not to draw the wrong kind of attention, but for someone like myself who has experienced countless miracles associated with an elevated state of consciousness, the book was priceless in showing me that I am not alone or simply delusional.

My own journey toward a worthwhile practice has been fraught with tribulation, doubt, lack of motivation, and an incessant search for real answers. You are on the right path if keep that immaculate ideal of real attainment always before you. Even if your spiritual search has to be your mistress, who you always keep in the back of your mind, and always come back to.

The thing about meditation, especially for a beginner, is that it is fickle. Quite fickle. In the beginning it gives you a little taste of that sweet intoxication, but then for a while afterward it is withheld from you just to see if you are sincere. Just to kick you back into the manifest world, tempting you to forsake your attempt of extricating yourself from manifestation. Then you give up, but try again and again when new inspiration spurs you.

That is why proper instruction makes all the difference, and is worth search for, worth reevaluating your practice for. You may go your whole life with a good practice, and a good teacher, but still miss the highest attainments due to wrong or deficient instruction. I'll be lucky if, in the end, my practice gives me good health, and I'll be grateful for it, but I will always aspire to the highest ideals.

"When writing the above paragraph I could not refrain from tears (for it is not easy for students to meet enlightened masters). I have endured all sorts of difficulties and hardships in my search for well over thirty masters of whom only a few were truly enlightened whereas the majority were incompetent." - Taoist Yoga p.126

Chao Pi Chen stresses that it is the students responsibility to find competent teachers. Always be respectful, learn from all, but have compassion for yourself and your goal of fulfilling your highest possible destiny. It is your journey, your life, your responsibility. If you stop growing, start learning and seeking more, you will surely find the way if you keep your eye on that highest ideal.

Remember, the Creative Imperative seeks to tempt and seduce you into lowering the vibratory rate of your life energy and becoming more engrossed in manifestation. The higher your vibrations become, the more difficult it will be to resist the temptation to stall or fall, even if at a very high state of attainment.

Last night I was surprised by the warmth in my spine and of being reminded of the vivid memories of being a child waking up at night and having his spine always on fire. Can you remember that feeling?

Edited by SecretGrotto
  • Like 2

Thought i would add my 2 cents... When i lived in china i had lots of spare time, i meditated minimum 5 hrs a day, often 8hrs for over a year and a half, probably 3 hrs a day for another year, and all up in now at 10 years daily practice. One of the realizations that i came to at the end of that insensive period was that i was wasting my life with ny eyes closed. Sure, things got insanely intense and i felt like a god sometimes but life is for living. Learning to just be aware in daily activities is the real secret to success long term. I wanted to have electricity come out of my fingers, and i was successful to some extent, but the cost is huge. Giving up my life for a tiny slice of the Tao to call my own, instead i found it better to keep my life and work with the Tao. Its like rubbing sticks together to make a fire when i could have just borrowed the suns rays and used a magnifying glass.

• Like 4

Thought i would add my 2 cents... When i lived in china i had lots of spare time, i meditated minimum 5 hrs a day, often 8hrs for over a year and a half, probably 3 hrs a day for another year, and all up in now at 10 years daily practice. One of the realizations that i came to at the end of that insensive period was that i was wasting my life with ny eyes closed. Sure, things got insanely intense and i felt like a god sometimes but life is for living. Learning to just be aware in daily activities is the real secret to success long term. I wanted to have electricity come out of my fingers, and i was successful to some extent, but the cost is huge. Giving up my life for a tiny slice of the Tao to call my own, instead i found it better to keep my life and work with the Tao. Its like rubbing sticks together to make a fire when i could have just borrowed the suns rays and used a magnifying glass.

Would you recommend people go intense (5 -8 hours a day) for a period of time? Just to try it, hammer out some consciousness issues.

• Like 1

Would you recommend people go intense (5 -8 hours a day) for a period of time? Just to try it, hammer out some consciousness issues.

Well depends what one's goal is. I have done very intensive for 10 day camping trips on my own 3 times and every time it has been very hard yet very rewarding. The first time i went was probably the best because it gave me chance to really learn technique.

I would say practice a bit here and there in the beginning, then if someone really wants to get into meditation do intensive for 5-6 days at least so you know how to do it properly and get lots of practice in it. It will make a 20 min session in the weeks after the intensive equal to a two hour session before the intensive.

Lengthy intensive practice, is just that it gets more intense, but .... ? Benefit, i don't know.

Even if you can hammer out some consiousness issues, it's not going to be the answer you're looking for, not unless you're going to be a monk. You need to find these answers while living in a way you want to live. If you find them in intensive meditation, then it means you need to keep up the intensity to solve you're problems. There is another better way. Living in a way suitable for the individual.

• Like 2

Here is your answer:

Conscious><unconcious

Issue><non issue

Understanding><ignorance

Have a nice Day><night

:D

Sign in to follow this