Sign in to follow this  
Yuen Biao

Teaching

Hello all,

Just a note to ask some advice really...i am about to start teaching in the next month and would like to ask what you think are the qualities necessary to become a good teacher.

I think i have the knowledge but I wonder about the teaching skills in order for those to enjoy learning the arts. People have told me recently that this is a natural vocation for me so maybe i have nothing to worry about.

I know this is quite a general topic but any ideas would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks

what exactly are you teaching?

anyway, in my experience, teaching well requires several things.

- a clear and comprehensible method with basics, principles, indicators (points that indicate if a student is or is not making progress), and methods

- a well planned teaching manner (the way in which you teach is as important as the material itself)

- a kind and compassionate attitude (you are going to meet a lot of people whose lives are not very well sorted out)

- the ability to stop things when they get out of control (you need to learn how to calm people down when they start getting excited. otherwise you will never control the class)

- a good advertising method (if you want to get students you need to be good at telling them who you are

- a way to keep students (they have to think what they are doing is worth doing)

- continuous flow (you always have to make things feel new, even when they are just review).

If you can do all that stuff, I think you'll make a good teacher.

keep in mind that we all start from total confusion and work our way up to being good.

I remember this one taiji seminar I taught where I asked a 19 year old karate kid to put me in a headlock....

why the hell did I do that???? LOL

• Like 5

All the best to you! :)

I think what separates the real article from the dross is that inner something which drives you at the most fundamental level. If you are dedicated primarily to pass on something useful and good to others, with the right perspective and motivation, without being driven by greed and excess, your students will sense this quite immediately. As long as motives are pure, students will stay. And the only way to keep motives pure is for one to embody the art/teaching beyond the obvious, meaning that how one conducts oneself away from class is even more crucial then when in it. Its easy to be in one's element in the presence of students cos so many 'teachers' feed off those kinds of vibe. Away from class, behind the scenes... thats where the real development of character and resolution is refined.

Edited by C T
  • Like 3

Hello all,

Just a note to ask some advice really...i am about to start teaching in the next month and would like to ask what you think are the qualities necessary to become a good teacher.

I think i have the knowledge but I wonder about the teaching skills in order for those to enjoy learning the arts. People have told me recently that this is a natural vocation for me so maybe i have nothing to worry about.

I know this is quite a general topic but any ideas would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks

I teach the guitar for a bit of extra cash. What is your discipline?

I find I learn and tweak along the way. Anyone can have the basic components of teaching, ticking the boxes. Teaching effectively is your art.

Your students will tell you how they learn in their attitudes. Yield, work with them. Don't instruct (unless working with core basics/foundations), be the guide in helping them figure it out.

• Like 1

If you feel this is what you are supposed to do then it is what you are supposed to do. If this is so, then you will have a natural manner in which it will unfold. All the answers will appear in the moment of the moment. Given this, I suggest instead of a canned approach, you simply teach what you know in a dynamic manner allowing the dynamics to adjust to each individual situation. And by golly have fun! If you make it fun the students will keep up and they will continue. If you are strictly technical and non-dynamic, then the students will tend to drift away.

Yes, I think you worry about nothing - just be yourself and all will work out fine.

• Like 5

Thank you all for the insightful replies.

My apologies for not explaining it; I'll be teaching Yang style Taijiquan, Daoyin Yangsheng Gong then hopefully in the future some Wudang style Taiji Quan and Five Animals Qigong.

I agree in regard to the structure as i will be teaching beginners, so I need to try and be methodical. It is a worry that I'll try to teach too much too soon although I understand the necessity of the core foundations and building upon them over time.

My teacher has often told me you learn so much through teaching and I firmly understand the philosophy behind the sentiment in so much that we continually learn about ourselves and those around us.

And yes fun, keep things fresh and fluid I know this is important. But how does one do this, is it a reflection of one's personality?

I'm not teaching for money, i want to share my enjoyment in practice with others and ultimately help people deal with stress, ailments etc.

Edited by Yuen Biao
  • Like 2

<snip>

And yes fun, keep things fresh and fluid I know this is important. But how does one do this, is it a reflection of one's personality?

<snip>

It can come from no other source. Your teaching will be a reflection of you, or it will be artificial.

Friends don't let friends become plastic people...

• Like 3

It will all settle into a natural balance of giving information and observing how it assimilates and settles with those you teach.

How exciting for you to begin this... congrats.

• Like 1

I'm not teaching for money, i want to share my enjoyment in practice with others and ultimately help people deal with stress, ailments etc.

Neither am I. I had been teaching the Yang Style for about sixth months in a senior center. It is fun to work with people who have great interest in the art.

Keeping them enthusiastic by adding something new, each time, when an instruction was a repeat to alleviate the monotonous. Let them feel that they are not learning the same thing over and over. Keep in close contact with each individual. So, nobody felt one is left out.

BTW Everything that one teaches does reflect one's personality. It is more relaxing, especially, it is on a voluntary basis.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Let the teaching flow from the heart of knowledge/connection like your painting in front of them.... then show them how you mix the paint and flow with the strokes...

Give them something new, deeper, and also something present they can connect to.

Lead the group but monitor the individual. Each is unique. Pair them on sides as needed to help them develop. Move some forward and some to the back line.

Let them demonstrate their learning... this is intimidating for most but finds ways to let them break that barrier to truly express their movements.

BTW: I truly love Yuen Biao (little brother) :)

• Like 1

Some more thoughts: I have a great feeling about you :) Try to avoid giving people complex moves and sequences too early. Insist that they master the basics. Go over basic posture and opening movements again and again. You may find yourself feeling a little insecure and worried that you're not giving them enough, but they'll get a lot more out of the sessions, and mature into the Taiji at a balanced pace. Be sure to always insist that they see the instruction holistically.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this