Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

BJJ, Shing Yi or Aikido?

BJJ, Shing Yi or Aikido?  

1. 2. BJJ, Shing Yi or Aikido?

I asked Max about martial arts and he suggested that I study Bagua because it is a circular energy which would be compatible with Kunlun since it is also a circular energy. Craig

Xing Yi is totally linear, but I can't see why that would really matter. There is a legendary battle between famous Bagua and Xing Yi masters after which they made a vow that their students would be trained in both methods. Pretty sure many are still taught this way. Tai Chi is both linear and circular. The two energies balance and compliment each other.

You have to admit if you follow my advice you save yourself a lot of time. But at the present case... that means now and here (as the energies change daily and so is the fortune), I have no advice for you accept following your inner drive.

Yes..I would say you are right most of time..it is rather annoying.

Edited by Cameron

Xing Yi would give you a nice form to work with over the next few years as well.

Xing Yi, Tai Chi Chuan and Bagua are considered the three treasured internal arts of China. They respectively move from more linear patterns to more circular.

Regards to your practice,

Spectrum

Is there an aikijutsu school in the area? It's the "jutsu" version, as opposed to the "do/dao" approach of aikido. I studied Goshin Budo, which is similar to aikijutsu but geared more toward police work, I liked it very much. Training is fairly painful and violent, though. :blink:

Ninjutsu's image has been wrecked by bad novels, movies, and comic strips. It's a shame, it's a fine martial art with an incredible amount of variety in approach and methods, and it brings deception in combat to an art form. There are quite a few branches in the US that have become a sort-of "hard style" version that I think is too much like karate, but if you can find a traditional school it's well worth a visit or two to evaluate. It's certainly not what you see in movies, I believe you'll be favorably impressed. At the very least, it's one more option. :)

I would look for any traditional JJ instructors in your area. My understanding of Aikido is that it is a blend of JJ styles or ryu with the nasty, killing or maiming techniques taken out.

Also any instruction on Samurai sword is very similar in movement and spirit.

There is some nice videos of Usheiba (Aikido Founder) doing bo and sword work. The movements seamlessly translate. Don't forget Iaido. The Art of the Draw.

Spectrum

I would look for any traditional JJ instructors in your area. My understanding of Aikido is that it is a blend of JJ styles or ryu with the nasty, killing or maiming techniques taken out.

No kidding! My first JJ instructor told the class "Jiu-jitsu is the Japanese name for the art we are going to study. It is best translated as 'joint separation'". :blink:

BJJ is extremely effective.

I was at purple belt level when I quit because my shoulders and back are completely jacked up from injuries.

I often think of returning when I am healed but I think I will try Kung Fu because I really dont want anymore permanent injuries.

Full resistance sparring on a regular basis = injury...something to consider.

BJJ is awesome and I enjoy it but my main interest is awakening and helping others. I cant' afford another injury.

Shingi/Bagua would probably be most in harmony with Kunlun and Smile reccomend it. Smile is right about most everything(which is rather annoying).

However..I also have deep conncetion to Aikido and think maybe I should stay with that. I sat in on Aikido class last night almost started crying.

My feeling is Aikido might be able to help transmit kunlun energy faster..or be more powerful to help the earth to heal.

I will probably have to wait until I get back from SF to make a decision.

Ok, no posting for a week.

Edited by Cameron

However..I also have deep conncetion to Aikido and think maybe I should stay with that. I sat in on Aikido class last night almost started crying.

My feeling is Aikido might be able to help transmit kunlun energy faster..or be more powerful to help the earth to heal.

Well, Bruce Frantzis believes Aikido may have at least been partly based upon Baguazhang anyways...as it does use some circular movements too and Ueshiba did spend some time in Manchurian China.

Fuck.

I think I will have to go back to BJJ.

Shing Yi and Aikido are nice ssytems but "old systems"(hitn,hint..wink,wink) and don't have enough of the "fun vibe".

The Crocodile

I have actually changed my mind since then....will either do Aikido or Shing Yi.

Need to keep it fair and balanced.

I have actually changed my mind since then

Cool, change is good.

So which class was the most enjoyable?

:)

If I can I will do Shingyi, Baguazhang and Aikido.

Am focused on seeing if I can get to the Kunlun workshop in SF.

Edited by Cameron

Sign in to follow this