TaoMaster

Karma IS real after all . ( or is it ? )

Karma is something I hear allot about from others . Like " hey don't do that it will come back to you ". Or anything you do that is bad will come back to you some day and bad things will happen to you .

here's a definition for Karma

does anyone have first hand experience with this . ?

evidence ?

examples ?

how can Karma be used in a beneficial way ?

Does it even exist in the universe ?

Yes, it's real. One thing I can tell you, if you do good deeds, good karma will come upon you. It's like the universe is giving you back what you express.

• Like 1

along with who knows how many possible multipliers depending on several factors that only karma can calculate, thus not always a one to one ratio of or for karma .

• Like 4

along with who knows how many possible multipliers depending on several factors that only karma can calculate, thus not always a one to one ratio of or for karma .

My own view is that whilst the basic law of karma "as you sow so shall you reap" is very simple, the workings of karma can be very complex, involving factors much beyond our comprehension.

This does not matter overmuch as all that we need remember is that there can be no action without a reaction. We cannot ultimately do good or bad without receiving our just deserts.

• Like 4

Karma means 'action' ... so what you refer to as karma is just the result of action. Everything you do has some effect. Its a rule of thumb to do good things to get good results ... but the result only arises when the conditions are right for it to do so ... so the result is not usually immediate.

• Like 4

Karma means 'action' ... so what you refer to as karma is just the result of action. Everything you do has some effect. Its a rule of thumb to do good things to get good results ... but the result only arises when the conditions are right for it to do so ... so the result is not usually immediate.

Funny, as I had a heart experience a week or so ago, where love from the heart flowed strongly and impelled me take action. Love = action

Anyway there are two pathways in the body resulting in "good" karma and one resulting in "bad" karma.

Edited by chris d
  • Like 1

I know far too many really good people who just always get dumped on and abused. So, my experience doesn't jibe with do good things and you'll be rewarded for it. Also, I don't believe in reincarnation. So there's that, too.

But cause/effect, action/reaction is a no-brainer. Add a time element and many levels of subtlety and that's karma for me.

• Like 8

Once I saw a note hanging out of an atm. I handed it in to the bank and I was thanked.

Three weeks later, I was in a rush and left my money hanging out of an atm. I went back to the bank and it had been handed in.

I don't know if this was karma, fluke, a domino effect, a butterfly effect. I don't care.

But the fact of the matter is, when I am a good, nice dude, I get many returns.

What you reap is what you sow :)

• Like 3

I know far too many really good people who just always get dumped on and abused. So, my experience doesn't jibe with do good things and you'll be rewarded for it. Also, I don't believe in reincarnation. So there's that, too.

But cause/effect, action/reaction is a no-brainer. Add a time element and many levels of subtlety and that's karma for me.

You can always be too nice though (aka pushover) Cause and effect is easier for us to use as westeners. If one is really nice, great. What they could be missing is the self-confidence to say "no" or "enough is enough"...

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and reincarnation is too far fetched for me. Where did this idea even start anyway? Are the origins in Hinduism? Buddha didn't teach a thing about this from what I've seen...

• Like 2

More, please!

I'm hoping you mean how other factors interfere with what one believes should be their good karma?

For example, somebody might always be running around trying to do good for friends and family, but they put too much energy into this, so their work life and relationships fall aparts. And their desire to help others is forced and mainly because they want to feel accepted. Therefore, they lose their job and all their money...and because they are not mindful of what they are doing, they are baffled and ask "why does God hate me? I'm always doing what is right!"

That or + and - points and once balanced, you can go to paradise?

Clearing all karma doesn't work. I've tried that and I failed.

Looking into the sense of self that owns the karma works better...

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, but time carries on.

Reactions bounce back and forth, always carrying us further ahead of where we started.

Life expresses and changes ripple out in all directions.

The changes transform and the transformations reflect those ripples back out.

Eventually they return to their origin, transformed, full of messages and reflections.

When these messages are accepted, the origin listens and becomes more refined.

When received these reflections may become fully absorbed back into the source.

When one closes a little to the reflections of the tao one separates a little from the tao,

A little ego is unwilling to change, reshaping karma and projecting it back out, rather than dissolving it.

In this way one settles into a pattern of erroding their inner power, until it is gone.

• Like 1

I see Karma similar to fate/destiny based on the connections it has. I see at least two connection levels: universal/eternal, and internal (which is the closer connection of our past lives experiences). But, ultimately, now it is meted out?

I'll go another direction with this and give an example of practices which I think will be unexpected.

If one considers the level of their journey, some will dabble in energy work; fewer yet will progress in some internal connections; fewer yet will achieve internal unity; fewer yet will open spiritually; fewer yet will experience other realms; fewer yet will transcend.

Reminds of the saying of Jesus, many are called but few are choosen.

In this case, what is doing the choosing?

I personally do not hold that it is the person choosing to do certain levels; the level chooses you. Why? That is fate/destiny (or maybe karma applies here too). I feel this is the universal, eternal energy/spirit/light which simply is in sync with allowing this or not. If it's not happening, then it may only mean it's not happening in this life time.

Another angle. I don't remember if I shared this story before but this was told in my Medical Qigong class... one of the first classes was working on creating a healing Qi ball which is placed into another's body. One makes their own healing ball but one student was a little too fascinated with the idea and over several days (fussy on specifics here) was created this more and more; the master saw what was going on and said the healing ball was manifesting its own intention on some level and had to put a stop to this. But what does that even mean?

I would say at least twice in clinical practicing, I experienced something akin to Qi trying to infiltrate me from another... it is possible it is simply like electricity wanting to follow some path it touches. I would guess those with more experience like Ya Mu could relate if this theory even holds water or not but it seems to me that Qi is sometimes like Karma as well.

So on some level, I think we're interacting with Karma (as Qi) every minute of every day... it can be repulsive or attractive. When we're really in tune with it, it simply leads us. This is inner knowing; some call it wisdom. IMO, this is the inner energy/spirit/light connection which directs our journey/path/way. Maybe also call it Karma... no sure though...

• Like 1

Clearing all karma doesn't work. I've tried that and I failed.

Haha, yeah. I can't seem to get it right either. The maths behind it all is too complicated for me.

Why would we want to clear karma anyway? Life is good, isn't it? :)

• Like 1

More, please!

I'm hoping you mean how other factors interfere with what one believes should be their good karma?

For example, somebody might always be running around trying to do good for friends and family, but they put too much energy into this, so their work life and relationships fall aparts. And their desire to help others is forced and mainly because they want to feel accepted. Therefore, they lose their job and all their money...and because they are not mindful of what they are doing, they are baffled and ask "why does God hate me? I'm always doing what is right!"

Rara, That sounds interesting but I meant more along the lines of what might be called universal karmic law compared to say human derived law... For instance with human derived law or karma (or at that level so to speak) reaction may not be very just for a first time action; in other words when you break a law the first time in relation to human law you could easily have to suffer the full brunt of that law regardless if you were ignorant of it or not, whereas universal karmic law would take ignorance of a law into account and to whatever degree, (?) but once there was non-ignorance of a karmic law and the same or similar break was repeated again then one would start to have multipliers added to the reaction beyond a set amount of "equal but opposite". Such also applies in relation to human derived laws for repeat offenders but the calculation is a human one, thus not on the level of perfectly exacting spiritual laws. A very important additional point though is that karma can be mitigated, transformed or superseded by greater laws of compassion and wisdom that do not break it but are of a higher and or quicker calculation and reaction via source than just at the "eye for an eye" level.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

karma is like carrying weights and various objects, it can not pass through the gate, thus neither can the being pass that has it woven or attached (so to speak) throughout their state of being.

Edited by 3bob

Why would we want to clear karma anyway? Life is good, isn't it? :)

The intellect can set up a number of reasons for why you want to do this because it is based on limited intelligence.

While I don't see overwhelming evidence of Karmic rewards handed out by some cosmic Libra-an mechanism, I like the concept and try to apply it to my own life. The belief that doing good/positive will if not help me, then at least make the world a little better place to live. Sow good seeds (a smile, some change, a compliment, a hug, an honesty), hopefully someone somewhere reaps good harvest.

I guess there are some things in life, that may not true, may not be real, but living by them improves our life.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Sow good seeds (a smile, some change, a compliment, a hug, an honesty), hopefully someone somewhere reaps good harvest.

The heart is connected to the face and eyes, thus opening you up when you do what you are describing. So a good thing indeed.

• Like 1

im pretty sure "karma" from the Hinduism has much truth to it but.............. from life time to life time ?

I see it as an instant phenomenon, like thelearner has pointed out .

if you smile at another they tend to smile back .

pass out $100 dollar bills at a homeless shelter and they will be all smiles :D happy :D and happy to do a few things good for you in return :):D

But if you kill your neighbors dog for crapping on your lawn , your neighbor will be like HEY %^$%&%$$##@#^ ARE YOU CRAZY ? :angry: :angry: :angry: Im gonna get you for that you %&$%$%#$$%#$^

good brings more goodness :):D and bad brings more badness. :angry::(

that pretty much sums it up . Past life Karma stuff ? not buying it.

there are lives lived in the past yes . infinite past at that . But not in terms of individual souls. Its 1 soul ( also know as life the creator of all things. ) for all physical life forms going backward infinitely and forward infinitely .

life, the creator of all things is like water in a bucket. When any life form dies its water returns to the bucket............ not from one life form that has died to a new life form being born it goes to the bucket and becomes one with all life . Then a new drop of water is added to another new life form. :) From my experience anyway. I don't have a youtube video to confirm that . Just personal experience, a google amount of times or more. :lol:

when a plane crashes , its " how many souls on board " who perished. There was only one . The same one for all life forms. :D

should be " how many bodies on board. "

I could start a new religion . No religion I know of on the planet see's it this way as a single soul for all life forms like I do . :)

• Like 1

I could start a new religion . No religion I know of on the planet see's it this way as a single soul for all life forms like I do . :)

Yep. You could. And no religion that I know of uses a bucket as the source of all life.

• Like 1

Rara, That sounds interesting but I meant more along the lines of what might be called universal karmic law compared to say human derived law... For instance with human derived law or karma (or at that level so to speak) reaction may not be very just for a first time action; in other words when you break a law the first time in relation to human law you could easily have to suffer the full brunt of that law regardless if you were ignorant of it or not, whereas universal karmic law would take ignorance of a law into account and to whatever degree, (?) but once there was non-ignorance of a karmic law and the same or similar break was repeated again then one would start to have multipliers added to the reaction beyond a set amount of "equal but opposite". Such also applies in relation to human derived laws for repeat offenders but the calculation is a human one, thus not on the level of perfectly exacting spiritual laws. A very important additional point though is that karma can be mitigated, transformed or superseded by greater laws of compassion and wisdom that do not break it but are of a higher and or quicker calculation and reaction via source than just at the "eye for an eye" level.

Cool :) Do you have an example or hypothetical situation where you can demonstrate the non-humam version?