Kubba

Being stuck in the absolut - how to overcome it?

I ask a lot of Questions:).

I will see my teachers in 2 months and untill then I want to get rid of it.

Sometimes after meditation or after different insights/ experiences my ego sticks to concept of no-self. I dont know how it happends but it is just pure dullnes, no emotiobs, no wanting to do anything, no life in my body.

I know that it is another mistification but I dont really know how to get rid of it. And durring these moments my crown chakra is just burning. Like now.

Sometimes becoming overemotional brings me back, meditating and trying to bring my energy dawn helps to, but I really hate this state and cimes back on and on. I dont know how I get into it and I don't know how I get out of it.

Anybody has simillar experiences, and know any solution?

Edited by Kubba

I ask a lot of Questions:).

I will see my teachers in 2 months and untill then I want to get rid of it.

Sometimes after meditation or after different insights/ experiences my ego sticks to concept of no-self. I dont know how it happends but it is just pure dullnes, no emotiobs, no wanting to do anything, no life in my body.

I know that it is another mistification but I dont really know how to get rid of it. And durring these moments my crown chakra is just burning. Like now.

Sometimes becoming overemotional brings me back, meditating and trying to bring my energy dawn helps to, but I really hate this state and cimes back on and on. I dont know how I get into it and I don't know how I get out of it.

Anybody has simillar experiences, and know any solution?

Stop doing that practice. Why would you continue if it is creating dysfunction in your life? Why are you so certain that you are stuck in the absolute?

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Some people, when they hear of emptiness think that they must make their minds blank. Some masters have stated that a cultivated mind is empty of thought. I can attest from experience that as one cultivates ethics, mediation, and right living, thoughts tend to become quiet and less in number. Patanjali starts his yoga sutras by stating that the aim of yoga is ending the modification of the mind.

Accordingly, people wish to jump to the end.

Because of this, people think that if they make their mind empty, they will achieve the same thing the masters are talking about. However, they are mistaking the outer appearance for the inner nature. A mind becomes empty of thoughts naturally when it stops clinging to things. This is why Hui Neng said that no mind means freedom from thought in the midst of thought, not a lack of thought.

A forced emptiness is sterile. I believe this is what the masters criticized as dead tree zen. A mind in a forced state of stillness is not responsive. The Taoist virtue of natural spontaneity is lost.

A mind that does not cling is ready for anything, on the other hand, can respond to everything. This sort of mind attains the best of wu and kong. It is open and pregnant with possibilities.

http://zenanddao.blogspot.com.au/

• Like 1

I dont know how it happends but it is just pure dullnes, no emotiobs, no wanting to do anything, no life in my body.

This is not the absolute.

This is a mental state of dullness, apathy - depression, nihilism.

I don't know what your practices are like but too much emphasis on emptiness can be problematic.

Emptiness is inseparable from pristine clarity, it has infinite potential.

The absolute 'gives rise to' all states, including the dullness but it is not dullness.

Contact with the absolute is quite the opposite, it is infinitely full and magnificent, it's often described as great bliss.

I'd suggest you talk to your teacher, if possible.

This is not where you want to be, although it may be a stage you need to pass through to move forward.

• Like 3

That sounds like depersonalisation, not realising no-self. You cannot identify with the idea of no-self, because there has to be an idea of self for identification to occur.

In the former, there is still an idea of separate self but it watches the body-mind system with no control or reaction, and so you are dead to life. In the latter, there is no idea of a separate self gumming up the works, so the body-mind system is seen as a vivid set of processes not separate from the rest of an existence which is raw and alive.

Perhaps it would help to find what you're still taking to be a separate self, and notice that it is just a process with no self behind it. Probably awareness/observation itself - try to see that awareness just happens, with no self that is aware. (Liberation Unleashed is a useful resource)

Or switch focus to stuff like metta, until you can ask your teachers. That may be safer, you don't want to push too far.

• Like 2

do you have a history with drugs or alcohol?

either your practice is wrong, or you are working through some difficult already existing psychological issues.

I would suggest that you cut off the meditation for the time being and start doing some sort of physical exercise more often.

I personally like Taijiquan and Basketball, because both are fairly available, and they are both good for centring the mind and getting out stress.

a musical instrument that is difficult to learn might also be good (classical guitar, violin, lute that kind of thing).

you need stuff that diverts your mind from thinking, but it seems that your meditation doesn't help too much right now.

might put it on the back burner.

Okay, thanks guys. I know it is not it is not a real thing, just a kind of clinging, It just happend once and then has started comming back. I was not meditating at all while it happend for the first time. I started to meditate to overcome it, and it helps, maybe the other activity is needed too.

I did not have any drugs history, I only drink wine from time to time.

Edited by Kubba

Where is your attention resting when you enter this state?

Why is this state bad? If you allow it to be and watch without trying to modify it what happens?

Seeing deeply is the same as raising awareness; raising awareness is meditation. Knowing or realising that you need space away from meditation is also meditation. Then, when you lay aside meditation, that is also meditation. Why put yourself thru the agony of contemplating in a dualistic manner? Know the inseparability of awareness and meditation, and also, distraction and meditation - then you will experience a new kind of expansiveness, one that feeds off courage (to acknowledge your present reality) rather than neurosis. Its just a matter of deciding to switch how you want to look at things around and inside of you. Nothing is apart from mind, and mind is empty - therefore, all that arise in mind is also empty. Dont take my word for it - investigate this yourself, and see if you can find any tangible side where the mind resides other than in the arisings itself.

• Like 1

These are the closest descriptions. The second one is better

Edited by Kubba

Doing things to get in the body may help, like basic exercise. I found a woman named Judith Blackstone has some interesting teachings around this, if you are stuck in the transcendent aspect of yourself she says it is like only living in the top part of your body and even looking at the world through the top 1/3 of your eyes, she teaches some interesting meditations where you look at the world through different areas of your eyes to compare the difference and meditations around bringing the transparent space aspect of your being down into different parts of your body.

• Like 1

I discovered today that it is related to my concentration. When I loose it I feel momentary energy moving up and the same moment pain in my head + this clinging to absolute perspective.

I noticed it after reading some answers here, I just went to my work and tried to stay in one point like in meditation. Pain in my heAd dissapears momentary, and normal body-mind presence came back. then when I was losing this one-pointness, following thoughts I got this " crow chakra pain". When I keep concentration but withouth force, just relaxed, everything is more stable, even when I talk to someone I have to be in the moment. It is challenging and some strange thing occured. I was talking to one man, totally concentrated on him, and I started to see yellow thing around his head. Aura? Damn meditation

Edited by Kubba
  • Like 2

take a break from practice for a while. go to the gym, go jogging, get fresh air and sun. get your blood moving. your mind is stuck, and its not in the absolute

Edited by 子泰

What Roshi said in the 2nd video about the ego being visible to others is a good point of departure. It doesn't explain the practice but points to how easy it is to get false impressions about what is happening.

These are difficult matters to give an account of.

For myself, I try to keep any narrative of what is happening from doing the things I can; seeking proof of what is rather than what I propose to exist. The story I tell about myself has its own life, it seems.

I am sure there is more to this search than that.

Edited by PLB