soaring crane

Translator sought: Ba Fan Huan Gong poems

Hi all

I'd very much appreciate it if someone could tackle at least a small part of this for me. These are eight poems, one for each figure in the Qigong form I'm most familiar with, known as the Ba Fan Huan Gong. It's purportedly a Quanzhen practice dating to about 1200AD. Prof. Cong Yong-chun initiated a small number of Europeans into the practice in the early 1990s (IIRC) and it's become a foundation of the German Qigong Association over the years.

Here are the poems to the eight main figures:

一氣三清
偈曰
一氣三清透頂門,任期百脈自勻.。
周身輾轉舒經洛,气在先天法自通

橫擔日月
偈曰
橫擔日月向前推,吐納綿綿看意催.。
齒落髮斑空息,快把長生法奮追。

霸王舉鼎
偈曰
霸王舉鼎練纏勁,內轉功夫無止境。
柔中剛化虛門,彼己之中動中靜

法輪常轉
偈曰
法輪常轉象圓周,守法殷勤靠自修。
洗髓九年除色相,左右盤旋萬事體。

彭祖抹鬚
偈曰
彭祖抹鬚走內旋,借撩鬚式易坤乾。
支撐弓步隨身換,變化全憑意在沾。

金剛伏虎
偈曰
金剛伏虎走腿功,挑纏勾胯側腰伸。
頻頻穩扎金雞立,伏虎全憑剎那中。

銀河入海
偈曰
銀河入海練大元,送寶歸還每服邊。
爐中火暖填離坎,全功就在蒂中玄。

臥學希夷
偈曰
臥學希夷很自然,壺中日月性中天。
河車運上昆侖頂,無物何塵便是仙。

Additional text to the static meditations:

調息功
偈曰
靜坐少思寡欲,冥心調息存神。
此是還妙訣,自然氣達舒伸。

胎息功
偈曰
法練乾坤祖,陰陽是本宗。
殷勤持此法,長壽貌儒童。

I do have a German translation, and a lot more text in German, but I'd really enjoy a fresh perspective, for comparison. Heartfelt thanks to anyone who agrees to help me out :D

• Like 1

八返還功
Ba Fan Huan Gong

一氣三清 (Purify the chi three times)

一氣三清透頂門,
任期百脈自勻.。
周身輾轉舒經洛,
气在先天法自通

Purify the chi three times through the top of the head.
Let all the acupoints to balance themselves.
They will move around the body to relax the meridians.
Within the prenatal method, the chi will be circulated spontaneously.

• Like 2

八返還功

Ba Fan Huan Gong

一氣三清 (Purify the chi three times)

一氣三清透頂門,

任期百脈自勻.。

周身輾轉舒經洛,

气在先天法自通

Purify the chi three times through the top of the head.

Let all the acupoints to balance themselves.

They will move around the body to relax the meridians.

Within the prenatal method, the chi will be circulated spontaneously.

xie xie :)

The German translation that I have says basically the same thing, but explicitly states that the qi flows trhough the three dantian and out the crown. Are the dantian depicted explicitly in the Chinese?

I was thinking about it and would really like to see what you make of the 3rd, 5th, 6th and 8th, if you (or anyone else) get a chance and enjoy doing it :-)

xie xie :)

The German translation that I have says basically the same thing, but explicitly states that the qi flows trhough the three dantian and out the crown. Are the dantian depicted explicitly in the Chinese?

I was thinking about it and would really like to see what you make of the 3rd, 5th, 6th and 8th, if you (or anyone else) get a chance and enjoy doing it :-)

Bu xie.... :)

The Chinese did not mention "三清" as the three dantian at all. The term 三清 is very ambiguous in any document that I had read.

一气三清透顶门,任其百脉自调匀。

周身辗转舒经络,气在先天法自通。

Instruction for the practice of this form.

保持立正姿势;两足与肩平开,足趾作抓地状。两手自然垂直,气沉丹田,意守祖窍。中正安舒,两手向前如托东西一样,掌心向天,缓缓伸直向头顶,让气从足趾伸到顶尖(头顶)后,再缓缓以意降下,手缓缓向下归还原状。

I have found this document with the poems followed by how to practice each form of Chi Kung. It did mention that "chi sink to the dantian(气沉丹田)". Then have the Chi ascend from the toe to the top of the head(crown); then descend back to the original position. From this description, I think it did give us the clue that chi did flow through the three dantian but not explicitly specified.

八返還功(Ba Fan Huan Gong)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

I have found this document with the poems followed by how to practice each form of Chi Kung. It did mention that "chi sink to the dantian(气沉丹田)". Then have the Chi ascend from the toe to the top of the head(crown); then descend back to the original position. From this description, I think it did give us the clue that chi did flow through the three dantian but not explicitly specified.

八返還功(Ba Fan Huan Gong)

Interesting! Do you know the origin of the document?

Interesting! Do you know the origin of the document?

It seems to me that those poems are the original classic document. However, those poems are suppose to be represent eight sets of movements. Each set of movements has to be performed by the instructor with the explanation of the poems to the disciples; so the disciples will remember each set of movements by those poems. It would be meaningless to anyone by just reading those poems without the demonstration of the movements by an instructor. Fortunately, I had found the document of the poems with the instruction written step by step for each set of movements.

I can translate each set to let you see is that what you have been practicing; if you have practiced these movements at all.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

Wow, thank you for the offer :-)

It is probably the same set of instructions that I have in German. I assume prof Cong had it at the time. He was last here in 2010,probably for the last time.

I'd be most interested in the poems that I posted, especially the numbers I pointed out, but eternally thankful for any feedback at all :-)

(3)霸王举鼎:

诗曰:

霸王举鼎练缠功,内练功夫无止境。

柔中刚化引虚门,彼此之中动中静。

Instructions step by step:

保持立正姿势:右手握拳上举,左手徐徐下降,吸气,腹向后(命门)收回,动作做完,吸气止。左脚向左踏开一步两手向左抱圈状,目视两手圈中,气徐徐胸放腹,左右反复四次。

The third poem:

霸王举鼎

The emperor lifting up the cauldron:

霸王举鼎练缠功: The emperor lifted up the cauldron to practice the wrapped method(缠功).

内练功夫无止境: There is no end to it for the internal practice of Kung Fu.

柔中刚化引虚门: The hardness was transformed within the softness to induce the empty gate.

彼此之中动中静: There are stillness within the movement amongst the softness and hardness.

The instructions step by step:

保持立正姿势: Keep the attention position

右手握拳上举: Raise the right hand with a fist.

左手徐徐下降: Lower the left hand all the way downward

吸气: Take a breath(inhale slowly)

腹向后(命门)收回: Contract the abdomen toward the rear(命門,mingmen, GV4).

动作做完,吸气止: When the movements are done, then, stop the inhalation.

左脚向左踏开一步: Take a step to the left with the left foot.

两手向左抱圈状: Make a circle with both hands in the left direction.

目视两手圈中,Look into the center of the two hand circle.

气徐徐胸放腹,Slowly exhale the breath from the abdomen.

左右反复四次。Repeat these steps from left to right four times.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

The third poem:

霸王举鼎

Thank you again :-)

Do you see the name "Emporer Ba" in the text? The figure is called Ba Wang Ju Ding in pinyin.

Here it is:

• Like 1

Do you see the name "Emporer Ba" in the text? The figure is called Ba Wang Ju Ding in pinyin.

The third poem:
霸王举鼎(Ba Wang Ju Ding)

Yes, 霸王 is "Ba Wang" which means Emperor. Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

(5)彭祖抹鬚:

彭祖抹鬚走內旋,借撩鬚式易坤乾。

支撐弓步隨身換,變化全憑意在沾。

Instruction:

保持立正姿势:气沉丹田,两手分别在胸前作撩须式,吸气后动作起,呼气随动作完。左脚向左迈出一步,身向左转90度,呈弓箭步,双手从两腮做抹须动作,握须从乳部向前推出。

(5)彭祖抹须:

The fifth poem: 彭祖 sweeping his long beard

彭祖抹鬚走内旋,彭祖 Sweeping his long beard and whirled inward

借撩鬚式易坤乾。Borrow the form of sweeping the beard to simulate the movement of the yin-yang circle.

支撑弓步随身換,Changing the body position supported by the arrow stance

變化全憑意在沾。All changes were made, with the intent of the mind, by taken advantage of the movements.

Instruction:

保持立正姿势:Keep in the attention position

气沉丹田,Chi sink to the dan tian

两手分别在胸前作撩须式,Raise both hands separately and hold in front of the chest like holding the beard.

吸气后动作起,Inhale then start the movement

呼气随动作完。Exhale followed at the end of the movement

左脚向左迈出一步,Slowly take a step to the left with the left leg.

身向左转90度,Turn the body toward the left 90 degrees.

呈弓箭步,in the bow and arrow stance (bow means bending the left leg in front; and arrow means straighten the right leg in the rear.)

双手从两腮做抹须动作,Move both hands from the both cheeks and perform the sweeping the beard movement.

握须从乳部向前推出。Then push both hands forward from the nipples.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

据悉,“返还功”是东汉道教流传下来的珍贵遗产,功理功法极奥。所说“返还”,就是返老还童的意思。通过动静兼施的练功,可以增强体质,祛病延年

Note: “返还功”, the Return to its Origin Method, was inherited from the East Han Dynasty, the principles and methods are extremely subtle. "返还" means "returning from aging to youth". By going through both the static and dynamic methods of practice, it may enhance the health of the body by remedy illnesses and prolong life.

Ref: 返还功

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

The sixth poem

(6)金剛伏虎

偈曰

金剛伏虎走腿功,挑纏勾胯側腰伸。

頻頻穩扎金雞立,伏虎全憑剎那中。

Instructions:

保持立正姿式:气沉丹田,左脚向前挑起,再屈膝,收回平脐。然而两手握拳向上,脚向侧提起,身体向前稍俯,似金鸡独立状。然后左脚向前伸出,两手平开,左脚落地,再作右侧,左右交替。

The sixth poem

(6)金剛伏虎: Buddhist warrior tames the tiger.

金剛伏虎走腿功,Buddhist warrior tames the tiger to perform the leg exercise.

挑纏勾胯側腰伸。Lift, wrap, hook and horse stance with the waist turn toward the side.

頻頻穩扎金雞立,Stand firm and steady as a golden cock stance(standing on one leg).

伏虎全憑剎那中。Taming a tiger relies upon this very instance.

保持立正姿式: Keep the attention position

气沉丹田, Chi sink to the dan tain

左脚向前挑起, Lift up the left legs forward

再屈膝, Then bend the knee

收回平脐。 Move back even with the belly button

然而两手握拳向上, Then, raise both hands with fists upward

脚向侧提起, Raise the left leg and move to the side

身体向前稍俯, Tilt the body forward a little

似金鸡独立状。 It seems to be a golden cock standing on one leg.

然后左脚向前伸出, Then, extend the left leg forward

两手平开, Open and spread both hands

左脚落地, Have the left leg touch down onto the ground

再作右侧, Then, turn toward the right

左右交替。 Repeat the above for both left and right.

BTW These eight poems are considered to be the dynamic form(動功) of Chi Kung. Please note that all eight movements has the breathing steps in it. Like when to inhale or exhale and chi sink to the dan tian. All Chi Kung/QiGong has the requirement. Otherwise, it wouldn't be called Chi Kung(氣功).

Edited: to add the translation of the poem.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

BTW These eight poems are considered to be the dynamic form(動功) of Chi Kung. Please note that all eight movements has the breathing steps in it. Like when to inhale or exhale and chi sink to the dan tian. All Chi Kung/QiGong has the requirement. Otherwise, it wouldn't be called Chi Kung(氣功).

Yes, of course, and thank you. I know the background practice of the discipline very well. I'm only asking for direct Chinese>English translation of the poems to compare with the German translation. For example, in that third figure, Ba Wang Ju Ding, the German is, "König Ba hebt denn Weihrauchgefäss" which means, "King Ba lifts the incense censer". I didn't know that Ba Wang means Emporer. That's very intgeresting.

In the sixth one, there should be reference to a Tiger (yin) in the poem. It's called Jin Gang Fu Hu and the German translates to: The Jingang subdues the Tiger (Jingang = Buddah Warrior)

The sixth poem
(6)金剛伏虎: Buddhist warrior tames the tiger.
金剛伏虎走腿功,Buddhist warrior tames the tiger to perform the leg exercise.
挑纏勾胯側腰伸。Lift, wrap, hook and horse stance with the waist turn toward the side.
頻頻穩扎金雞立,Stand firm and steady as a golden cock stance(standing on one leg).
伏虎全憑剎那中。Taming a tiger relies upon this very instant.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

......... I'm only asking for direct Chinese>English translation of the poems to compare with the German translation. For example, in that third figure, Ba Wang Ju Ding, the German is, "König Ba hebt denn Weihrauchgefäss" which means, "King Ba lifts the incense censer". I didn't know that Ba Wang means Emporer. That's very intgeresting.

In the sixth one, there should be reference to a Tiger (yin) in the poem. It's called Jin Gang Fu Hu and the German translates to: The Jingang subdues the Tiger (Jingang = Buddah Warrior)

Anyway....

霸王 means emperor. Period.

王霸 means "King Ba" which makes Ba(霸) to be the name of a king.

It seems to me that the German had reversed these two characters in the translation. It makes a difference with the order of these two characters.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

SC....
Are you into the static form...???

Re-post:
I thought you might not be interested in telling me..... :D

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Hey, why did you erase your post? I saw it on my phone last night. Short answer -- the static exercise I do these days is Zhan Zhuang. When I was in school, I did the Fanhuangong sitting meditations intensively (especially the embryonic breath).

I practice the FHG dynamic routine once a day, and finish it with some standing, holding a FHG position.

I teach the dynamic form in a group, as well (not all eight figures, especially not the last one, not yet, anyway).

• Like 1