Rara

Lighting, mood setting in meditation

I am just wondering if anybody works with specific lighting conditions, aromas/incense etc when meditating.

Here in England, in December, it's all very dark and grey outside during the day. Not dark enough to warrant candles though, but with the curtains open, it's all a bit "miserable".

I'm very partial to rain, diffuse light and cloud cover, so your English weather sounds rather divine to me.

My two most common times for formal practice are before dawn or right around sunset. The light in the room I use for practice faces East and the bluish tint to the light at those times is very conducive for me in letting go of all but my intended practice.

I stare at a blank wall.

Sometimes after practice, I'll light a candle and then sit and observe the shadow play on the wall. This I've found can be very helpful for uncovering things that are lurking below the surface of conscious awareness.

I sometimes use an oil burner with temple oil, but incense is out these days as the smoke is a bother.

• Like 1

Like you I am in dull old December England. As I meditate with closed eyes the dullness does not really matter to me.

It is really just a case of attempting to set the conditions so that they are conducive to your practice.

Personally I like a dim light, the room not too hot nor too cold and quiet and undisturbed. I have gone through phases where I used incense but at the moment I do not bother – though that may change again shortly now that silent thunder has put the idea into my head.

• Like 1

Yea, I find the scent to be a not too invasive aid in releasing everything but the intention of the practice.

I sometimes will useTibetan singing bowl music this way as well. It provides a rather neutral focus to return to when thoughts arise.

• Like 1

Lighting depends on the kind of meditation.

For quiet sitting I find it doesn't matter, just sit and forget. However, for internal alchemy it's helpful to have the environment as black as black can be. It helps when working with the Shenguang and the light body.

• Like 1

I find incense and oils help me to gain focus. I guess it sets the scene for me...and my preference is to meditate when it's dark, with a few candles providing the glow. Horses for courses I guess.

It's just that the other day, the only time I had to meditate was lunch time and it was very dreary. Maybe I'll shut my eyes next time!

Have you ever considered not to breathe the smokes from the burning candle or incense ....???

I don't think I'm too sure what you mean.

Though if you think it is bad to inhale, or it will be distracting, I have thought about that...

• Like 1

My favourite way is to meditate in total darkness. I'm not sure why, perhaps it's the lack of artificial light.

Interesting!

So we all have preferences! My post below will elaborate...

The reason I ask all these questions is because I notice that setting a mood is important to a meditator.

Why is this?

In meditation, aren't we training ourselves to be accepting of how things are...so should my meditation be down to preference, or is it more "real" to meditate with whatever is happening here and now?

I always feel more pleasant after having a nice steam bath with oils, or a meditation at night with candles. Although I prefer this, I can't help but think others out there will see this as escapism.

How exactly is enjoying a meditation any different than having a good time with friends or watching a good TV documentary? All 3 provide a fair amount of stress relief.

Then I hear others that talk about the importance of cultivation in meditation. Yet we can meditate as we go about our daily business, can we not?

I can't help but feel that "formal" meditations are just a stepping stone, and that eventually we can leave the cushion behind...

Here is the point. Meditation is for a better health. It is to be done in a free environment without any external influential aids nor to set up some kind of mood for it.

Here is the point. Meditation is for a better health. It is to be done in a free environment without any external influential aids nor to set up some kind of mood for it.

Ok, but what about mental health? If someone is unhappy, images of ocean waves, buddhas etc can make one feel better.

And if what you say is so, why do Taoists and Buddhists meditate in temples and near waterfalls?

Ok, but what about mental health? If someone is unhappy, images of ocean waves, buddhas etc can make one feel better.

And if what you say is so, why do Taoists and Buddhists meditate in temples and near waterfalls?

When one said "better health", it was meant holistically includes mental heath too.

The reason Taoists and Buddhists meditate in temples is because of seclusion. Near waterfalls was to be being closest to Nature. Especially, for Taoists. It is because Taoists have a very close relationship with the water in the nature of their beliefs. Indeed....!!!

Edited by ChiDragon

When one said "better health", it was meant holistically includes mental heath too.

The reason Taoists and Buddhists meditate in temples is because of seclusion. Near waterfalls was to be being closest to Nature. Especially, for Taoists. It is because Taoists have a very close relationship with the water in the nature of their beliefs. Indeed....!!!

And the burning of incense at temples? Statues of immortals?

Ok, I understand though...yes the waterfalls and closeness to nature...in fact, this is why I like my steam baths and essential oils perhaps!

That's what I mean though...I set up an environment that is close to nature. Nature affects our moods though...some of us like sun, some of us don't and so on.

So if I meditate around storms, and I don't feel better for it, is there a problem with my setting? I think so.

Storms are violent. The darker the sky, the closer we are the storms.

Then we have storms in our daily lives. Bad times we accept will pass...but we don't voluntatily have bad times, do we?

So surely I should choose my time and setting for meditation?

Edited by Rara

I meditate in the shanghai subway just to keep my nerves and avoid catching the eye of an angry farmer.

Aside from that, I am quite partial to agarwood incense. It is a bit too expensive to get the good stuff though, so I often also use sandal wood which I buy in the Taiwan countryside (they grow sandal wood in many south east asian countries close to taiwan, and the island itself has some similar wood which will do in a pinch).

I love candles, and had a bunch going the last time I did a hermitage, but they can also be a bother because i get afraid of lighting the house aflame.

if you guys have an interest in some really nice but not too pricey incense, send me a pm, I can hook you up

(if that comment goes against forum rules in any way, please feel free to edit :)

• Like 1