manitou

Which books sit on your nightstand?

new book describing a full system of  meditation (bhavatita dhyana) by a Kanphata Nath Yogin. Covers the steps/tools required in a fairly specific way. Also provides some historical context on the Nath yogins   - It’s available on Amazon. 

Taraṇyali Tridhā Dhyānam: The Threefold Meditations of the Thunder Dragon

Edited by Sahaja
Picture of book lost do added title
  • Like 1

Diving back into Rupert Sheldrake's Morphic Resonance. 

My first experience of it was a paradigm shifting and utterly fascinating exploration of the nature of self organizing systems to seemingly inherit habits from previous, similar systems.  To me, it leans heavily on buddhist notions of co-arising interdependency, taoist conceptual cosmology and Indra's Net.

Morphic-Resonance.jpg

So I'm revisiting that while I wait for the arrival of the latest edition of his commentary on the state of dogma in academia.

1444727923.01.S001.LXXXXXXX.jpg?Expires=

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Healing Power of Mind by Tulku Thondup, Tibetan Sound Healing by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, Healing Into Life and Death by Stephen Levine,  A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, Meditation for the Love of it by Sally Kempton, Nosso Lar by Chico Xavier, Teachings of Sri Sarada Devi The Holy Mother.

Edited by Inner Alchemy

Right now, Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland (third read-through), and Visual Magick by Jan Fries (second read-through). I think Liminal Dreaming by Jennifer Dumpert is there too, but I haven't given it a chance yet despite it looking really good for some odd reason...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing @aotvoid that Liminal Dreaming book generates some gravity for me.

In recent years I've experienced a new type of lucid dreaming in my mid 50's.  It's a semi-hypnagogic 'sideways' sliding consciousness in the hour before sunrise.  The body remains asleep while the mind awakens and is aware of surroundings while seamlessly sliding 'sideways' into and out of the dream state with full lucidity, while also maintaining awareness of physical life.  The crossover and the blending of realities seems rife with potential.

New territory for me and one I've not encountered in any of the standard lucid explorations that I've researched to date. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

@silent thunder  You're welcome! I have a few sleep disorders (messed up circadian rhythm, mild apnea) and so attempts to lucid dream normally or record dreams in a journal in recent years have failed utterly. On the other hand I do spend a lot of time between sleep and wakefulness not quite paralyzed but unable to get up and occasionally conscious, in my body, and simultaneously in a mild delerium-like dreamstate. I found the Liminal Dreaming book by accident but I plan on working through it soon.

Dreaming's been a weird theme in my life for a long time, I actually have a painting of Morpheus on one of my walls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iinatti said:

All time favorite book ever, though not for faint of heart...

Blood_Meridian_Cormac_McCarthy_book_cove

Many people say this book is fantastic. I didn't even know about it a few months ago, I will try to read it as soon as I can

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 2:20 PM, Kojiro said:

Many people say this book is fantastic. I didn't even know about it a few months ago, I will try to read it as soon as I can

One of my all time favs.

Like reading an epic painting.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steve said:

One of my all time favs.

Like reading an epic painting.

I will give it a try, that is for sure! by the way, I see you are a great reader. What about Dostoievsky? do you like him? what are your favourite books about him? I read him when I was very young. I really enjoyed Brothers Karamazov (I read half the book, I was only 20 or 21!) and Notes from the underground.

18 hours ago, Kojiro said:

I will give it a try, that is for sure! by the way, I see you are a great reader. What about Dostoievsky? do you like him? what are your favourite books about him? I read him when I was very young. I really enjoyed Brothers Karamazov (I read half the book, I was only 20 or 21!) and Notes from the underground.

My favorite Dostoyevsky novel is Crime and Punishment. To be honest I’ve been in a reading slump lately. 

IMG_0555.thumb.jpeg.f5d583b60b8fed74e97c5502b32b6b74.jpeg

On Reading and Writing

Of all that is written I love only what a man has written with his blood. Write with blood, and you will experience that blood is spirit.

It is not easily possible to understand the blood of another: I hate reading idlers. Whoever knows the reader will henceforth do nothing for the reader. Another century of readers–and the spirit itself will stink.

That everyone may learn to read, in the long run corrupts not only writing but also thinking. Once the spirit was God, then he became man, and now even he becomes rabble.