manitou

Which books sit on your nightstand?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagesimal

Good choice. I've got the "The Art of Dreaming" by Castaneda.

Well... Ive had them all at one point, not sure if I still have them all together here or not.  

I have read them all multiple times tho, so its fairly by heart at this point.

Just thought Id call a shot for you guys.

and gals.

Edited by 9th
fucking monkeys
  • Like 2

Finally found John Blofeld's The Secret and Sublime... for $52.00 instead of $331.00 or laughable $1041.00

Picked up Saltzman's The Ten Thousand Things as well.

On 4/24/2018 at 1:12 AM, silent thunder said:

Finally found John Blofeld's The Secret and Sublime... for $52.00 instead of $331.00 or laughable $1041.00

Picked up Saltzman's The Ten Thousand Things as well.

What are your thoughts on Saltzman's book?

28 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

What are your thoughts on Saltzman's book?

This book is treasure!  And I've only just dipped my toes in...

I'm deeply grateful you mentioned it here.  When I read the title in your post, it veritably lept off the screen into me, but didn't expect this level of connection.

As I opened the book to peruse it, a full body shiver ran through me; and as I feathered through a bit, lighting on some images and random passages, a sense of deep familiarity.   His use of images is strikingly similar to a process I'm undergoing over the last few years with my own version of the TTC and his wording, approach to description and phrasing could have been taken directly from my own sense of things.  Deep familiarity.

In general, I read in short bursts these days.   I take in small breaths and bits of things, dipping my toes in the ponds of other's thoughts rather lightly, then withdraw and allow the ripples to flow through me until I'm inspired to dip in again. 

As such, I'm only a few pages in, but each passage resonates so deeply, and with such familiarity... it's remarkable. 

His description of the hangover effect really reflects my experience without even being aware of it.  Using the hangover as an analogy for the remaining inertia of personality traits and behaviors after awakening put me on my butt for some days... just  woof!   Yes!  This!

Page three he references Rupert Spira, who has in the last year come to my sphere of awareness with a remarkable presence.  Circles within circles it seems right off the bat.

His words emanate with a calm, neutral acceptance and a nourishing manner of sharing.  The utterly unsurprising and natural process of awakening belies the words we use to attempt to describe it... words like awakening and enlightenment carry so much story/baggage.  When the experience isn't grandiose, but as familiar as the feel of my butt on this chair... as natural as opening one's eyes after a nap, or inhaling when reaching the surface of the water while swimming.  No prompting thoughts, or requirements.  Just natural being.

I'm deeply appreciative of this work and I'm only just approaching chapter 2.

• Like 1

Here is the book which I assume sits on every thedaobums member's nightstand...

63up7k.jpg

Edited by Wells
  • Haha 4

Now I am reading Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins. It is a good book, inmho, it talks about things that we can use here in meditation, qigong, etc. He stresses the importance of eliminating negative thinking, the importance of positive beliefs, and things like these. Also he has some good tricks, based on NLP, about how to eliminate bad thoughts.

I've got a whole metaphysical library, but I'd never gotten around to reading Ernest Holmes, founder of Science of Mind.  I'm currently reading The Essential Ernest Holmes (collected writings).  An astounding, meaty book which is particularly appropriate for those who are healers.  Talks about the use of love in healing, how to get yourself into the right mind space.  The metaphysics are suitable for anyone who has transcended any path.

I can attest to the use of love in healings.  I had a friend who had a nephew who had quadriplegia.  I had her stare at a picture of him until she felt love in her heart, and at that moment turn on a light switch (which was a metaphor for the electricity going out to his limbs).  It worked.  It's all in the mindset of the person doing the healing, according to Mr. Holmes.  Wonderful book.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2018 at 2:09 PM, Lost in Translation said:

@silent thunder I am glad my recommendation was well received. You may also want to check out Saltzman's interview on Buddha at the Gas Pump ( https://batgap.com/robert-saltzman/ ). That was how I discovered him. After you finish this book you may also like Alan Watts' "The Wisdom of Insecurity". The two are quite similar.

Alan Watts was a favorite of mine long, long ago. "Each Ruby Moment" He helped me put my experiences into perspective somewhat.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, Myklan said:

"The Art of Dreaming" and all  Castaneda books 

Careful with those, LOL.  Both my husband and I found that things started happening to us that were happening to Carlos - and at the same time that we were reading them.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

An excellent concise book.

It has extremely accurate details on how to make Taoist enlightenment, in a multi step Wuji posture.   I recognize the details from an enlightened Zen priest I am aware of who amazingly gives very concordant technical details, although both book and priest come from totally different traditions, the practical instructions are virtually identical.

2/3rd of book is Author describing details of hexagrams and their flow and use for materialisation and de-materialisation, and relationship between theory and use of human body.   Which is interesting but practice instructions more interesting.

Author gives very critical small details also, so has real experience.

Very good.

www.jpg

• Like 1