Tao te Ching

Collection of Books on Herbs

Sayings of the Buddha

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

something by Nietzsche

^_^

• Like 2

I have not found any that were not at least very good, though for quite a time I had only read Blavatsky and Leadbeater and if I had it to do over again I might have skipped Blavatsky for the other works. The Secret Doctrine is what most associate with the Theosophical Society but for the most part it is over-engineering - of little practicle value by comparison to the amount of detailed but highly unverifiable information (it is verifiable but lightyears from the entrance exams). (Blavatsky is excellent in any case).

All of Leadbeater is interesting and verifiable and helpful - and where the rubber meets the road.

This is also true of Annie Besant - she is great - very clear headed and disciplined in her wording but as ballsy as Blavatsky.

Blavatsky was a drinking smoking piece of work - I can see why Gurdieff was so jealous!

The following are good and I think free at The Project Gutenberg:

Elementary Theosophy by L W Rogers would be a good start - free for certain and more than just elementary.

An introduction to Yoga. By Annie Besant - free for certain - very good from time to time for helping one to keep on track.

An outline of occult science. By Rudolf Steiner - he can come in handy.

If you are well along - purchase Experience & Philosophy. By Franklin Merrill Wolff

Actually you should have this in your library regardless.

If you break through to Awakening or not it is remarkably fine and disciplined in how it is written and inclusive of the experience.

It is also two books:

One is a very fine accounting of the happening from the days weeks and months following.

The second is two years later - a recounting of the same Awakening from the more seasoned perspective of several years.

Most of the translations from Eastern works are so entirely far from the mark in describing larger events within practice and including culminating pinnacle events. So much time is devoted to the minutia that one does not get the greater picture - and the descriptions a just so far off as to make the student unable to have a clue as to what might have just happened.

I stumbled across an old copy of Bessant's Ancient Wisdom and found it very interesting.
  • Like 1

Currently reading Spirit Speak by Ivo Dominguez. This book is badass. It's fleshing out a ton of my own experiences and teaching me a great deal.

couple on the go:

Burgs - The Flavour of Liberation Vol 1 & 2 - a big meditation/Dhamma manual. huge amount of knowledge on the path and its energetics made accessible for modern readers.

Chalie Morley - Dreams of Awakening - on lucid dreaming, quite basic but covers a lot of ground - spiritual context, scientific angle and techniques to increase their occurrence.

MDcUR92.jpg?2

• Like 1

Just picked up Awakening to the Tao (Liu I-Ming, Cleary trans). I just recently finished Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.

As for the nightstand, I don't actually have one, but the regulars that are always at my finger tips are TTC and P'u Ming's Oxherding Pictures and Verses (Red Pine, trans). I also keep 365 Tao in my desk at work.

• Like 1

On my bed, because I don't have a nighstand:

Man and His Becoming According to The Vedanta

Initiation and Spiritual Realization

The Holy Koran (Pickthall translation)

==

I'm also reading The Travels of An Alchemist, a medieval book about a Taoist master who was summoned to go speak with Genghis Khan and who was made the main religious authority of China...

And I'm almost done with Nihilism: The Root of The Revolution of the Modern Age

• Like 1

...I'm also reading The Travels of An Alchemist, a medieval book about a Taoist master who was summoned to go speak with Genghis Khan and who was made the main religious authority of China...

That sounds fascinating!  What are your impressions?

That sounds fascinating!  What are your impressions?

I haven't had much time for reading lately and actually seem to have lost the book, but when I find it or re-order it and finish reading it I might start a thread sharing my impressions and quotes from the book...

I read it years ago and found it boring, but that was because I was mainly interested in the Mongols and not in Taoism.

Here's one of my favorite passages:

...the local population was exasperated by famine and there was perpetual brigandage. Fearing trouble, the Governor went to live on the north side of the river. The Master however, consented to live in this palace, sating with a sigh: "The Man of Tao lets fate lead him whither it will and measure his days as it may choose. Even when a naked sword is at his throat, he does not blench. How then should he be in panic at a rising that has not even taken place? Moreover Good and Evil go their own way, without harming one another". His followers were thus reassured.

• Like 1

The Heart of the Dragon - Alasdair Clayre

A Brief History of Medicine - Paul Strathern

Vagabonding - Rolf Potts

...And the Truth Shall Set You Free - David Icke

Moonwalking With Einstein - Joshua Foer

SotGF - trans. Cleary

Taoist Yoga Allchemy & Immortality - Lu K'uan Yu

Ascent to Civilization - John Gowlett

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

Guest Harley

Ways to Better Breathing - Carola Speads

The Way to Awaken - Robert Masters

Everyday Zen - Joko Beck

Currently in use:

"The End of Time: The Next Revolution in Physics," by Julian Barbour

"Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu," by Wang Liping

"Integrated Chinese Character Workbook," level 1, part 2, Cheng and Tsui Chinese Language Series  (well, this one I don't read so much as write in it. :) )

• Like 2

Curent selection:

1.Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood

2.Milan Kundera - Life is elsewhere

3.Alber Camus - The Fall

4.Wang Liping - Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu

5.Huang Di Nei Jing Su Wen

• Like 1

Guest Harley

Finnegan's Wake

The Takeuti Documents

-VonKrankenhaus

Guest Harley

Finnigan's Wake, now that's an esoteric book!

What are the Takeuti Documents?

I just bought a four e books and one book by David Twicken ...

Modern bushido

The Luo colaterals

The divergent channels

Eight extraoridinary channels

Spiritual qi gong

• Like 1