ChiDragon

How close are you of being a Taoist?

I don't know how far this will get. Anything you say might go against you for being a Taoist. So, please talking like one. ;)

Hehehe. What a thread this could end up being. Into the pit within 72 hours.

Anyhow, that question is not for me to answer. Only observers of me could make such a value judgement.

But then, I stay hidden. :ph34r:

• Like 1

hmmnn... ... I am 25 years away. I'm 50, I'll be a Taoist at age 75 in the year 2040.

I see myself on a beach.. either a lesser known Hawaiian island or St. Lucia. I live in a small hut, there are several hammocks and benches around it. I wear a wide brimmed straw hat. Perhaps there is a small flag; the Burning Man figure resting on a hammock, drink in one hand, book in the other.

I greet people who pass by, offer them water dujour (lemon, mint cucumber..) a place to rest and talk. Unconcerned with worldly events, goods or outcomes, I sit, watch the waves, know the tides.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Who's issuing the diplomas? We never got to the bottom of that one, so until I know, I have to say I'm not even close.

• Like 1

Tao can't be defined but Taoist can? :)

Yes, it can by your own intuition. Grok...!!!

Tao was all defined in the TTC.

One can become a Taoist, only, and only by cultivation.

• Like 1

Who's issuing the diplomas? We never got to the bottom of that one, so until I know, I have to say I'm not even close.

In that case, you have to pay a high price for the "title" and the title only.

One should donate the diploma to charity, then become a Taoist.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Yes, it can by your own intuition. Grok...!!!

But your intuition can't really define it (the latter being an intellectual function bound to linguistics).

Tao was all defined in the TTC.

One would think that it shouldn't take so many words to define something so simple. :o

One can become a Taoist, only, and only by cultivation.

Well, I would say, one sort of leads to the other.

Edited by Michael Sternbach

1. But your intuition can't really define it (the latter being an intellectual function bound to linguistics).

2. One would think that it shouldn't take so many words to define something so simple. :o

3. Well, I would say, one sort of leads to the other.

1. It would be the closest definition one will ever get.

2. Yes, if Tao can be spoken with one word, then it is the eternal Tao. ;)

3. Well, I am not sure what that meant....?

Edited by ChiDragon

1. It would be the closest definition one will ever get.

2. Yes, if Tao can be spoken with one word, then it is the eternal Tao. ;)

3. Well, I am not sure what that meant....?

1. I am with you here, CD. :)

2. The eternal Dao cannot be spoken, neither by one nor by many words. ;)

3. I'm talking from personal experience here. If you are a Daoist in nature, then it may well lead you to cultivation in order to liberate that nature of yours.

• Like 1

Daoist temples in China.

Oh really? The Priests actually give you the diploma? I mean, they call it a diploma?

Daoist temples in China.

The question here being if Dao can truly be contained in a diploma.

The problem with any religious organization is that as soon as Dao assumes a form, it is no longer Dao. :unsure:

• Like 2

I think my being a Taoist is just around the next corner. But knowing me, I will assuredly turn the wrong way at the corner.

Oh really? The Priests actually give you the diploma? I mean, they call it a diploma?

Yeah, pretty sure they give you some sort of official paper saying that you've been trained as a Daoist. They might call it a register.

Anyway, I understand how it can be annoying to hear that Daoists only come from having been trained in Daoism...but that's looking at things from the viewpoint of not being able to travel and be part of it. The fact is...anyone can travel and anyone can inquire about becoming one, if the effort is there. Instead of looking at it as an impossibility and something unnecessary, look at it as a future opportunity. There is much to learn in actual schools...and you can still have your books like the Dao De Jing and be primarily influenced by them.

Not that anyone is stopping people from calling themselves Daoists. But we have to ask...if you're not trained in how to cultivate as a Daoist, then how can you cultivate as a Daoist?

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty sure they give you some sort of official paper saying that you've been trained as a Daoist. They might call it a register.

Anyway, I understand how it can be annoying to hear that Daoists only come from having been trained in Daoism...but that's looking at things from the viewpoint of not being able to travel and be part of it. The fact is...anyone can travel and anyone can inquire about becoming one, if the effort is there. Instead of looking at it as an impossibility and something unnecessary, look at it as a future opportunity. There is much to learn in actual schools...and you can still have your books like the Dao De Jing and be primarily influenced by them.

D'accord. I like this.

Not that anyone is stopping people from calling themselves Daoists. But we have to ask...if you're not trained in how to cultivate as a Daoist, then how can you cultivate as a Daoist?

By what is nowadays called "learning by doing." ^_^

Now, THAT sounds like the watercourse way to me.

1. I am with you here, CD. :)

2. The eternal Dao cannot be spoken, neither by one nor by many words. ;)

3. I'm talking from personal experience here. If you are a Daoist in nature, then it may well lead you to cultivation in order to liberate that nature of yours.

1. :)

2. Sorry, about that.....!!! When I think negatively in my mind, I always mistakenly typed positively.

So, let me rephrase while respond to you at the same time.

If Tao can be spoken with one word, then it is not the eternal Tao.

By reverse logic:

If Tao can't be spoken with one word but many words, then it is the eternal Tao.

For that being said, one can see that five thousand words(characters) were used, in the TTC, chapter by chapter to describe Tao by Lao Zi.

3. I don't think it was necessarily for me to be a "Taoist in nature" to begin with and still may become a Taoist by cultivation. One can be a SOB to begin with then become a cultivated Taoist after enlightenment.

Note:

Enlightenment, here, means one has realized that one may become a Taoist by cultivation.

Edited by ChiDragon

1. :)

2. Sorry, about that.....!!! When I think negatively in my mind, I always mistakenly typed positively.

So, let me rephrase while respond to you at the same time.

If Tao can be spoken with one word, then it is not the eternal Tao.

By reverse logic:

If if Tao can't be spoken with one word but many words, then it is the eternal Tao.

For that being said, one can see that five thousand words(characters) were used, in the TTC, to describe Tao by Lao Zi.

So the tao is like....literature?