nantogph

Can I become a Taoist?

I do find the ideas beautiful and wise and they soothe me. I am not a strict sexual moralist or even monogamist. I do like the odd drink, no drugs. Very little drink though. I like my footy, and irrevernce and can have a temper, not be too earnest, bit arrogant at times, a lot of westerners like me.Am I to western/arrogant to be a Taoist, do I need to be more saintly, or is it just enough to feel a lot of the teaching wise and profound anf feel them deep.

• Like 1

More of a Buddhist myself, but I think your question is relevant to all paths.

Don't worry about not being saintly enough. You will change in many ways through practising/living cultivation. Have confidence in your ability to fundamentally change the way you view reality, the way your mind works, the way you behave - and get stuck in!

Don't try to live up to an image of 'ideal Taoist'. That's wearing a mask, and you want to take masks off. Instead, try to live according to the results your actions will bring to others and yourself. That's real virtue. Trying to fit an image from rules handed down from on high is just holy conceit.

• Like 4

With all these flaws, you want to become a Taoist???!!! NOT A CHANCE!!!

:D I'm just kidding. Taoism is a philosophy or a way of life (even though pretty much an undefinable one, see chapter 1 of the TTC). Any improvements in the ethical sense may be a result thereof, they are not a prerequisite.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 2

With all these flaws, you want to become a Taoist???!!! NOT A CHANCE!!!

:D I'm just kidding. Taoism is a philosophy or a way of life (even though pretty much an undefinable one, see chapter 1 of the TTC). Any improvements in the ethical sense may be a result thereof, they are not a prerequisite.

A Taoist needs to be cultivated, in order, to become one. It will not happen overnight. Of course there are prerequisites which is to get rid of all these flaws.

Of course you can develop a Daoist view of your world, anybody can. I suggest beginning by observing nature and spending as much time in nature as possible. And try to develop the ability to remain non-judgemental, of yourself, of others and of the natural world. And start a Daoist practice like Qigong (with focus on the philosophical principles behind the practice). Read a few books, but focus mainly on the experiential, keeping the intellectual/academic on the periphery.

• Like 3

If you want to be saintly follow the path of Mother Teresa.

If you want to be a Taoist follow the path of the Tao.

And follow your own Tzujan (naturalness).

• Like 4

I do find the ideas beautiful and wise and they soothe me. I am not a strict sexual moralist or even monogamist. I do like the odd drink, no drugs. Very little drink though. I like my footy, and irrevernce and can have a temper, not be too earnest, bit arrogant at times, a lot of westerners like me.Am I to western/arrogant to be a Taoist, do I need to be more saintly, or is it just enough to feel a lot of the teaching wise and profound anf feel them deep.

I've been practicing five years and I still f*** and watch footy.

• Like 3

Don't try to live up to an image of 'ideal Taoist'. That's wearing a mask, and you want to take masks off. Instead, try to live according to the results your actions will bring to others and yourself. That's real virtue. Trying to fit an image from rules handed down from on high is just holy conceit.

Oh, and that :)

Yes, anyone can be a Taoist. Ever since I had translated the following document, I have been practicing these principles to a certain extent. My goal is to be a Wu Wei Taoist.

Ref: Taoist Canon

Edited: to correct the reference document.

Edited by ChiDragon

Yes, anyone can be a Taoist. Ever since I had translated the following document, I have been practicing these principles to a certain extent. My goal is to be a Wu Wei Taoist.

Ref: Taoist Canon

If you are short in stature you can call yourself a wee wee Taoist.

• Like 3

If you are short in stature you can call yourself a wee wee Taoist.

Let's hope we do get some proper guidance and not ended up with that........ :P

• Like 1

rainbowvein....
Following your own naturalness is following Tao's way. No...???

Edited by ChiDragon

no one is a taoist

every one is a taoist

we are all what we are

we are all changing

how we change depends

on where we place our

sincerity and intention

• Like 3

Ye-es, you can become a philosophical taoist, though a religious Taoist who follows a Pantheon and belongs to a temple that celebrates the various formal holidays would probably not consider you one. You might have to do a fair amount of travel to find a religious Taoist though.

What drink do you consider to be odd?

• Like 1

What drink do you consider to be odd?

the first, third and fifth,

after that nothing seems odd.

• Like 6

I'm afraid I don't think I can have this discussion with you. It is really an experiential matter. Based on clear, delineated personal experience.

That is fine. I have no problem with that.

• Like 2

Any old bum can read a Daoist book, feel soothed, and call himself a Daoist if he likes. He could also find a Stephen Hawkings book soothing and call himself a physicist, too.

If you want to enter the teachings to any degree of depth and have teachers feel it is worth their time to teach you, you you will invariably have to make major lifestyle changes.

If entering the teachings and yielding to deep changes in your lifestyle and worldview does not seem necessary or likely to you, that is great, but why, dear physicist, use a label you do not really understand?

• Like 4

Anyone may become a Taoist only, and only, by self-cultivation. Can a physicist do that too....???

Yes. Of course. Absolutely. Why the fuck not?

(Sorry about that last one but I needed to add emphasis.)

• Like 4

Yes. Of course. Absolutely. Why the fuck not?

(Sorry about that last one but I needed to add emphasis.)

Even though the latter wasn't very Taoist, but I am sure a Taoist would like to appreciate it.

This old bum thank you...!!! :)

PS....

Edited to add a smile.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

This old bum thank you...!!! :)

PS....

Edited to add a smile.

Hehehe. I don't normally use smileys - it's more fun letting others try to figure out whether I'm being serious or just BSing.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

Hehehe. I don't normally use smileys - it's more fun letting others try to figure out whether I'm being serious of just BSing.

Well, there was a statement about a real Taoist doesn't smile which is not true. :)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 3