Sign in to follow this  
DreamBliss

Your favorite spiriual but not religious Christmas music?

Here's a tough one for you!

If you're too old for songs about Santa Claus and Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, but you are also not a Christian, so O Holy Night, Silent Night and about 1000 other songs are out, what do you listen to around Christmas?

Specifically, what spiritual, but not religious, albums do you like to listen to, assuming you acknowledge the holiday season at all?

I can only think of one so far, and that is Sting's, "If On A Winter's Night." But that, technically, according to the artist, is a winter album, not a Christmas album. Maybe the key is winter albums?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

:D

Edited by DreamBliss

Just heard this at a mall, Handel's Messiah. I sang it in choir in high school and it still moves me. Being in Latin, its feels more classical then religious, very powerful and stirring. Who am I kidding its very religious, not my religion, but its soo good. Amped up with a good sound system, its wow.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm not sure what spiritual non-religious Christmas music is supposed to be. You're on the right track with 'winter music', I think. Christmas music is either religious (Jesus, angels, donkeys), or it's popular "Xmas" music (Santa, snow, reindeer). If anyone knows of spiritual Christmas music that is specifically written for Christmas but isn't about Christmas (the birth of Jesus) I'm curious to hear it too!

Anyway... no reason not to listen to beautiful music just because it's dedicated to Jesus or Allah or whoever. I love Christmas carols... Silent Night, Away in a Manger, O Little Town of Bethlehem, etc.

I do have some non-religious suggestions.. but it's up to you to decide if they're spiritual or not.

Johnny Mathis

Bing Crosby

The Pogues

Enya

This last is religious, but I don't understand a word so could be anything..... ;)

Edited by dust
  • Like 1

A song that i keep returning to come each December is a duet by Ingrid Michaelson & Sara Bareilles called "Is Love Alive". Not a very spiritual song per se, but its definitely got that wintery halo around it.

Spiritual music I enjoy -

Arvo Pärt - Te Deum and Arbos

Gabriel Fauré - Requiem Mass

Max Bruch - Kol Nidrei for cello

For me any music can be spiritual, these all happen to have some religious overtones...

I don't really care whether or not I separate the two.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this