Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

sound effects LOL

agggggghhhh ohhhhhhh crunch! reminds me of the good old days. But blue hakama! So tasteless.

• Like 1

I don't mind a blue hakama, course I like mine the same way I like my coffee; thick, black and so starched it stands up without me :).

Reminds me of a story. An Aikido sensei was giving a demonstration in the Philippines. It looked quite bit like the one above I suppose. A perspective student told the sensei 'That's all very nice but no one attacks that way in the Philippines. We're a very close intimate people, even with a machete we'd start here' and put the blade right under the mans throat.

Funny to have 'close and intimate' put together with machete and throat but that's the truth of it. In Japan even if they're stabbing you in the back, cultural personal space is respected enough so that (traditionally) they'd take a step before the stab. Whereas in the Philippines, the knife starts closer. That in itself presents some problems yet has some advantages too.

• Like 1

It gets worse .....

much worse ....

un-ke-15.jpg

The original indigo dye was a muold and rot reistant treatment. I have seen old Japanese indigo and white checkered fabric in a museum.... all the white was mostly rotted out and the indigo remained

No, the above is actually perfect.

Especially if you're fighting infront of

a giant American flag,

then you're practically invisible :D

I don't mind a blue hakama, course I like mine the same way I like my coffee; thick, black and so starched it stands up without me :).

Reminds me of a story. An Aikido sensei was giving a demonstration in the Philippines. It looked quite bit like the one above I suppose. A perspective student told the sensei 'That's all very nice but no one attacks that way in the Philippines. We're a very close intimate people, even with a machete we'd start here' and put the blade right under the mans throat.

Funny to have 'close and intimate' put together with machete and throat but that's the truth of it. In Japan even if they're stabbing you in the back, cultural personal space is respected enough so that (traditionally) they'd take a step before the stab. Whereas in the Philippines, the knife starts closer. That in itself presents some problems yet has some advantages too.

Hmmm ... seems more than that to me ;

"You attack, everytime; top of head .... exaggerated and slow please ... I move in much faster ... BAM! crunch ... swish! "

I now have an answer to that old question (why do they attack like that ? - even in karate ... exaggerated lunge punch, leave the attacking arm out there and withdraw the other to your hip) - I call that 'the instructor's punch' , its so he can demonstrate a variety of snappy looking techniques on you that you have little chance of countering. (... I do know IMO the 'real' reason why, but if someone doing that cant show the real reason ... aside from silly misinterpretation then ..... )

DO NOT try to use aikido weapons disarms in a real situation ! Even in the dojo one of my instructors got a real surprise when he offered me to 'try and get him' with a tanto .... even without one, when he suggested the same to me (ie. me unarmed) he was totally taken by surprise about the head butt ( a visiting black belt said it indicated a flaw in my character :D ) . Also another time , when he offered the same in bokkan match, I cleaned him up by flipping my crock into his face, distracted him enough for me to cut both his arms, then up through the throat.

A lot of the time they are parroting and not understanding. Aikido ( some of it, nowadays) is very 'formal and dignified'.

Some instructors even consider it 'impolite' to not continue exactly the 'meanings' they were taught.

A guy pulls a knife on you ...... this ! :

Edited by Nungali

No, the above is actually perfect.

Especially if you're fighting infront of

a giant American flag,

then you're practically invisible :D

I agree, they would look much better as invisible.

DO NOT try to use aikido weapons disarms in a real situation ! Even in the dojo one of my instructors got a real surprise when he offered me to 'try and get him' with a tanto .... even without one, when he suggested the same to me (ie. me unarmed) he was totally taken by surprise about the head butt ( a visiting black belt said it indicated a flaw in my character :D ) . Also another time , when he offered the same in bokkan match, I cleaned him up by flipping my crock into his face, distracted him enough for me to cut both his arms, then up through the throat.

A lot of the time they are parroting and not understanding. Aikido ( some of it, nowadays) is very 'formal and dignified'.

You flipped your what? in his face?

Anyway ... I think Aikido is a bout learning general skills and not techniques ... so I guess in a real fight it would make you aware of zanshin, balance, timing, reading the others body intention and all that ... even if you do win by beating him with a stick.

You flipped your what? in his face?

Dont you start !

:D yes that would certainly distract one! (not that I would ever do that when people have swords out!)

ahem! ... a croc ... (yes, I kicked a crocodile in his face )

large_article_im405_crocs.jpg

Of course, if I was 'correctly dressed' for outside (like he thought he was) I would have been wearing;

japanese-sandel01.jpg

OOOCH!

(Even so , with soft rubber I was polite enough to aim so it passed just by his temple.)

Another guy I tried it on ( from a different sword school) batted the croc out the way with his sword, surged in with a deflecting 'thrusting cut to the face' against my sword and stopped his bokan on my face, across my third eye and cheek bone. ... bonk! :blink:

Anyway ... I think Aikido is a bout learning general skills and not techniques ... so I guess in a real fight it would make you aware of zanshin, balance, timing, reading the others body intention and all that ... even if you do win by beating him with a stick.

Not really. I have met superb Aikido 'players' , they should be honest about it though (ie, playing or demonstrating self defense?).

Then again traditionally, it's all possibly the results of 'Honne and tatemae.' ;)

. The ones that can demonstrate across the board effectiveness, supplement their technique with 'cross-training'. Some others dont approve of that; and wont allow any experimentation, when they do, they often get 'cut'. But yes, much of it is worthwhile to incorporate, as you say. Especially some principles you would learn in Jiyu waza multiple opponents ( again, if they are teaching and practicing that right ... or even explaining properly what is going on), are very important for self-defence. Some of the demos of that however are really bad!

Edited by Nungali

Sign in to follow this