Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

The bad habits and assumptions acquired from childhood

Gerard mentioned this in a post: "unlearning all the bad habits acquired from childhood". All the assumptions we've taken for granted. What are they? What are the worst?

The worst for me, not that it was taught, rather was absorbed is the best thing, is doing nothing. Thus I've had a lazy streak most of my life. With a love of vegging out. There've been certain benefits, where paradoxically I've working very hard inorder to create conditions for longer veg out periods, but on the whole the laziness habit from childhood has been detrimental.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

I think its easier to cultivate new, positive habits and build on these enthusiastically than to unlearn old, negative ones. The aim of course is to eventually allow the new momentum to catch up with the old one, with the ultimate aim of letting the new habits overtake the negative patterns. Its a process that will require determination, patience and a growing confidence to stick with the change. Changes are necessary for growth.

• Like 5

Believing I am separate from the world. Believing that the material world will bring happiness. The habit of ignoring inner awareness. The habit of trying to improve, or escape, the moment at hand.

The outer life depends on the inner life, and the inner life depends on these core habits. Personally, I don't think it's enough to just address the inner habits, but I think we also need to go to the root or core delusions.

• Like 2

I think its easier to cultivate new, positive habits and build on these enthusiastically than to unlearn old, negative ones. The aim of course is to eventually allow the new momentum to catch up with the old one, with the ultimate aim of letting the new habits overtake the negative patterns. Its a process that will require determination, patience and a growing confidence to stick with the change. Changes are necessary for growth.

Inertia. Multiple teachers have stressed this concept heavily to me and I begin to sense why.

Mirroring this sentiment:

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete." ~ Bucky Fuller.

This, to me implies what you are talking about, focusing on the traits you want to embody to increase their inertia and presence in your being and decreasing focus/reducing yield on those you wish to release.

Patient, steady practice builds inertia. Small, well timed increments will yield much...

What you give energy to, you foster, you become. Where attention goes, energy flows.

What am I attending to? What do I want to embody? This is paramount to me.

Water, dripping on stone, yields sand. Patient, dedicated practice.

Like Tesla's Oscillator, small increments of practice yields growth.

• Like 3

Gerard mentioned this in a post: "unlearning all the bad habits acquired from childhood". All the assumptions we've taken for granted. What are they? What are the worst?

We teach to our children how to fill their hearts with desire for external things because we assume that there's no way to live a happy life otherwise.

At the same time, we don't emphasize the importance of virtues ... in the best scenario, we see people putting them in the third order of priority because money and sexual fulfilment come first.

We've lost all of our ideals.

We've forgotten our hearts.

This is the "bad habit".

• Like 1

Too many to count. Absorbed a lot of ridiculous shit from my fundamentalist Baptist upbringing. I try not to think about it, just address the shit as it comes up.

Self hatred, I got this from being unwanted by my mother.

I haven't learned what unconditional love was.

Now I am learning and the feeling is getting stronger lately.

Life is showing up everywhere and giving me support, this is absolutely amazing!

• Like 3

"What we call the secret of happiness is no more a secret than a simple willingness to choose life".

- Leo Buscaglia

I'm 62 so unlikely to change much.

Bad habits from childhood...

Laziness definitely.

That said, I enjoy being lazy those few times when I get the chance.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Sign in to follow this