Kongming

Shangqing Question

Does anyone know to what extent Shangqing/Maoshan/Highest Clarity Daoism has survived into the modern world? From what I understand based off reading the Wiki article, it integrated under the general Zhengyi Alliance. Does this mean that modern Zhengyi preserves transmissions, practices, doctrines, rituals, or other aspects of Shangqing Daoism?

Furthermore, for those knowledgeable of the topic, are there any books in particular that you recommend for learning more? I just began reading Isabelle Robinet's "Taoist Meditation: The Maoshan Tradition of Great Purity" which seems to be a standard study available in English. Anything else worth checking out?

Thanks.

The Kunlun Nei Gung school is said to be mostly from this tradition.

Michael Saso translated the Huang Ting Jing in a book called The Gold Pavilion, which was a main book of Shangqing...and there's another (extremely poor) translation of it on Amazon called "Jade Writing: Individual Phase Space User Manual", but which includes the Chinese characters and pinyin for those who want to do some translating or interpretation work of their own.

Jerry Alan Johnson was trained in the Zheng Yi school.

I would assume that Zheng Yi Daoism did preserve some of the Shangqing school. Is Maoshan still an active school...because the wikipedia says that it's still the principal seat of Shangqing Dao. Although these days it's mostly known for black magic rituals.

• Like 1