Sign in to follow this  
aaronearl

Looking for the Real Deal

Hello, all!

My name is Aaron and, as the title of my post suggests, I am looking for something.

One of the things that I seek is an explanation of the "Internal Power" of the Taoist martial arts. I need this explanation to be in English and stripped of all that truly fantastic confusion that surrounds and pervades most discussions about this topic. I know nothing about this power, but I do know there are no such things as "Qi fireballs," nor is there a power, like The Force, "flowing through all living things", etc., that has been manifested in these arts. I know that "Internal Power" refers to a subtle kind of body mechanics and I seek a really clear explanation of its principles. I hope that someone in this forum can help me.

One of the things that I seek is a way to cultivate this power within myself, i.e., an effective training system. I just wasted a couple hours of my time observing one so-called Taoist "class" in the Chicago-land area. I paid very, very close attention to everything but, quite frankly, I saw nothing to suggest to me that the "Internal Power" was, necessarily, operating in those various forms and exercises. Nor did it appear that anyone there commanded any formidable martial power of any kind, unfortunately. So, I hope that someone in this forum can direct me to a real, accessible resource(s).

One of the things that I seek is to be entertained. I hope that someone in this forum can help make my quest an enjoyable one!

Thank you.

Hello aaron, and welcome to the forums!

Glad to have you here, I hope you find what you're looking for, but I want to make clear that we're a very eclectic group and everyone is entitled to express his/her opinion on any subject. Meaning, you may well receive more than one perspective on subjects you might wish were a little more straighforward :-)

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

SC and the TTB team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Special Note: all female members are more than welcome to join the discussions at our new

Women’s Cultivation forum, moderated by rainbowvein and zanshin

An interesting introductory post which is strangely contradictory regarding your knowledge and observations of internal energy.

I look forward to perusing your future posts with interest.

Welcome to the Tao Bums.

• Like 1

Yes, my post might seem contradictory. I shall clarify...

I know nothing about the power, really, just a few things I have tried to read. I just really know what "Internal Power" is not. The only thing that I have been able to discern from the literature that I have found, is that is has to do with "not-usual" body mechanics. But, I have found no clear explanations, i.e., ones that don't talk about "life force," or "energy flowing through the body along meridians" "pushing willpower through the Dan Tian," etc.

I need to hear a good, old-fashioned bio-physical explanation of what it is and what I must do to express it. Something like, "flex your this to make that happen." I find it difficult to imagine that, over the thousands of years that "internal power" has, apparently, been used in martial arts, no one has just spoken about it simply, like the phrase, "lift your hand to here." And, no, I don't accept that "Internal Power" is an esoteric subject. After all, we're really only talking about body motion and I don't think that that Taichiquan, Baguazhan or Hsing-I stylists possess body parts that I don't. Therefore, I should be able to, at the very least, conceive of how their techniques are performed.

I need to hear a good, old-fashioned bio-physical explanation of what it is and what I must do to express it. Something like, "flex your this to make that happen."

That is very aptly put.

Therefore, I should be able to, at the very least, conceive of how their techniques are performed.

Yes, you should be able to. If those who make their living from it being secret tell you. But they will lose their livelihood if they do. So they wont.

And, no, I don't accept that "Internal Power" is an esoteric subject. After all, we're really only talking about body motion and I don't think that that Taichiquan, Baguazhan or Hsing-I stylists possess body parts that I don't. Therefore, I should be able to, at the very least, conceive of how their techniques are performed.

oh, this could be a huge undertaking and honestly not something you're going to get from someone who simply phrases it in a way that you can relate to. I suggest searching out good, solid Taiji (or Bagua if it's available in your area) instruction. These things can't be incorporated on an intellectual level, they have absolutely got to be experienced on the physical plane, and to do that properly, you need live instruction, no exceptions.

The written material on these subjects that will contain the hard information you're looking for are going to be written for practitioners who already have a good amount of experience. (edit: and even then, as TT indicates above, they're not going to be complete).

Maybe you could narrow your search down a little, to something very specific?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this