Sign in to follow this  
eye_of_the_storm

Chinese Women's Quest For A More "Western" Face

well when you are taking to your body with a scalpel (for cosmetic purposes) something isn't quite right internally? and spending $$$ ... who is benefiting from causing dissatisfaction? I can't embrace deception and exploitation of manufactured insecurities via celeb co and friends

Neither can I see these technological "advancements" as Tao or what have you

If these things didn't exist people would be happier... and what are they going to tell their children? When the child asks mother... why don't I look like you? well my child I felt I didn't look good enough so I cut my face up and stitched it back together... which tells the child their appearance is undesirable also ... so now the children will be thinking... I don't look good I need surgery... can't be healthy in my view

you seem to think my comment is a flaw... hence your comment... so... ?

there is no such thing as non-judgment ... that is self deception

Edited by eye_of_the_storm

never said my comment wasn't flawed or non judgmental - i am extremely judgmental, pretty much all the time

good job putting words in my mouth though

then why tell me "Why don't you embrace things exactly as they are, including everything you disagree with?" ?

Seems hypocritical

http://www.carbonated.tv/lifestyle/south-korean-plastic-surgery-transformations-going-viral-in-china-photos

What is the cause of this?

Or plastic surgery in general?

Why don't people embrace their natural beauty?

Because to cultivate a good looking body is considered more important than cultivating virtues.

This is really sad and women are 99% into this system of cultivating their appearance because of cultural imprint: therefore in the spiritual path, you can find that women.are outnumbered.

• Like 1

I become sad thinking about it.

I once met a girl who was very pretty. She was discussing with friends breast surgery... she felt dissatisfied/ unfulfilled/ unattractive... though she was already beautiful and from my short time around them... she seemed a good person.

I wish at the time I had told her she was beautiful as she is.

It is this twisted society/empire mutilating these beautiful women... filling their bodies with toxic plastic

• Like 1

It's sad indeed. I feel for those poor deluded people suffering from the natural shape of their bodies.. It's a sad thing to be so programmed as to think that you're not good enough. The pinnacle of western materialism.

• Like 3

I agree that plastic surgery is fairly bizarre and that modern society is largely responsible. I agree that people shouldn't feel this horrible pressure to 'improve' themselves in this way. And I personally think that all of those women look better in the 'before' photos.

That said, we are modern society, and each person has the choice of whether or not to partake in any particular custom.

Some people get surgery for the same reason that they get tattoos: they really just like it. I have tattoos not because I feel my skin isn't good enough, but because I really like tattoos.

And speaking of tattoos, body modification (as I've just mentioned in the thread about Tibetan Darwinism) has been around for thousands of years. Pretty much ever since humans have had the tools to do it, we've been cutting ourselves open and putting dyes and metals and ashes and all sorts of things in. Much of the time in the name of aesthetics. It's part of our genetic programming to want to 'improve' our appearance.

Whether or not any particular modification is an improvement is really up to the individual.

• Like 1

To OP - when is it okay then? I think most would agree it's fine to get a cleft palate or broken nose that healed badly fixed. Orthodontics and treatment for bad acne is a change from nature too. Mostly I think natural seems best, but people can do what they want.

• Like 2

To OP - when is it okay then? I think most would agree it's fine to get a cleft palate or broken nose that healed badly fixed. Orthodontics and treatment for bad acne is a change from nature too. Mostly I think natural seems best, but people can do what they want.

Other than a broken nose/ accidents these things occur because we have moved away from nature. From my understanding within natural systems, nature only creates perfection... when we abuse the laws of nature suffering occurs...

It isn't "life is suffering" ... as Buddhism would have you believe ... but human error/ arrogance and disrespect of the way that causes suffering?

People don't know what they want... they have been given the illusion of choice... a selection of lies.

From a young age many people are dis-empowered... taught to be silent and obey...and punished if they do not. Many seek the approval of the artificial system/ false authority ... they have little self-hood / personal power ...

So they look to this false authority for acceptance/ love etc

If the system tells them they need X to be attractive... than some will conform to this

Say many are fixated on material possession as a from of attraction and worth ... appearance before substance

Yes..I agree with you Mr Storm. But isn't appearance something?

Most would not suggest that it's wrong to appreciate human-made music, poetry, literature, painting, sculpture, etc, or similar beautiful things in nature -- birdsong, sunshine, flowers, the Milky Way, etc...

So why would we suggest that it's wrong to appreciate the human form?

And if it's not wrong to appreciate the human form, is it better to appreciate the so-called "inside" of a person?

A person can no more choose their 'original' character than their 'original' appearance.

And if both one's outer appearance and inner character are equally a part of the person, and equally appreciable as something of wonder and beauty or of shame and disgust, I can see how some people, in the same way that people on TTB are out to develop their inner character, would like to develop their outer appearance.

It's a shame that people can't just be happy with who they are, inside and outside, but I don't agree that one is necessarily worth more than the other.

When all recognize beauty as beauty, ugliness is born.

I agree that plastic surgery is fairly bizarre and that modern society is largely responsible. I agree that people shouldn't feel this horrible pressure to 'improve' themselves in this way. And I personally think that all of those women look better in the 'before' photos.

That said, we are modern society, and each person has the choice of whether or not to partake in any particular custom.

Although this was about chinese (eastern) quest and modern society has only brought the tools to effect it; the pressures for it are quite historical... and sadly to add: Good looks can make good money in that part of the world for people who are desperate enough to sell a kidney for an iPad...

Yes..I agree with you Mr Storm. But isn't appearance something?

Most would not suggest that it's wrong to appreciate human-made music, poetry, literature, painting, sculpture, etc, or similar beautiful things in nature -- birdsong, sunshine, flowers, the Milky Way, etc...

So why would we suggest that it's wrong to appreciate the human form?

And if it's not wrong to appreciate the human form, is it better to appreciate the so-called "inside" of a person?

A person can no more choose their 'original' character than their 'original' appearance.

And if both one's outer appearance and inner character are equally a part of the person, and equally appreciable as something of wonder and beauty or of shame and disgust, I can see how some people, in the same way that people on TTB are out to develop their inner character, would like to develop their outer appearance.

It's a shame that people can't just be happy with who they are, inside and outside, but I don't agree that one is necessarily worth more than the other.

When all recognize beauty as beauty, ugliness is born.

I agree in inner and outer as having equal value in natural expression

Artificial beauty is not the person though inside or out ... like make-up... is a person make-up?

Cosmetic surgery is just a deeper more invasive form of make-up/ deception

Truly healthy persons don't need make-up etc... their natural light and beauty shines...from the inside out...

the make-up is to cover up a broken body... a lazy approach... a rotten apple painted red...etc

rather than healing the inner...they cover up the exterior

healing is from within

art and music are the expression of the inner world

perhaps a persons physical appearance is also an expression of their inner world.

Natural beauty can be natural fitness and strength too

A person practicing physical strength, endurance etc is also practicing willpower, self determination etc

Their physical body starts to become and expression of will-power etc ... their appearance is reflecting their inner state.

Bruce-Lee-7.jpg

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this