Sign in to follow this  
Vmarco

When Positive is Negative

Many today strive for the perception of positiveness,...however, as Teal Swan articulates in the link,.."positiveness is like an anesthetic"...and is really, for most, a form of denial.

She equates today's "being positive trend" as an aspect of Spiritual Bypassing.

Any interested in a discussion?

I think she is spot-on for the most part... but I get a small feeling that she is a little too much of an isolationist... she isolates an issue in a clea way, but seems to forget that the average person is the one we're talking about. So I am not sure if she is really isolated to those who are trying to connect to religion or spirituality... many common folks are not.

Her examples of working through it are all western... so that is her audience... Maybe she has not thought much about the other side of the world... where you have experience in living.

I think she would be a fascinating person to talk to but not be involved with... she has an energy of resistance on some level.

I think she would be a fascinating person to talk to but not be involved with... she has an energy of resistance on some level.

She has an interesting history. I'm not sure why, but in the last 3-6 months Youtube has been pushing her videos to me.

She is a victim of Satanic ritual abuse as a child/teen.

She has an interesting history. I'm not sure why, but in the last 3-6 months Youtube has been pushing her videos to me.

She is a victim of Satanic ritual abuse as a child/teen.

To be honest, you can 'feel' it in her eyes... I was trying to really hold back the energy feeling of her video... I like her message but there is a strong vibe which comes through... thanks :)

I think she is spot-on for the most part... but I get a small feeling that she is a little too much of an isolationist... she isolates an issue in a clea way, but seems to forget that the average person is the one we're talking about. So I am not sure if she is really isolated to those who are trying to connect to religion or spirituality... many common folks are not.

Her examples of working through it are all western... so that is her audience... Maybe she has not thought much about the other side of the world... where you have experience in living.

Interesting thoughts. I'll likely take a second look with your commentary in mind.

As I understand it,... she is from Santa Fe, NM....but as a teen lived in a Mormon cult, and was held as a sex slave. Did like her take on positiveness is often an anesthesia.

Yes, me too,...her video just appeared on a list of Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 and Mercedes G63 6x6 off-road vids I was watching.

I wasn't much observant about the messenger,...but the message intrigued me,...a message that challenged today's Therapeutic Ego Enlightenment trend.

There is truth to what Teal is saying. True spirituality actually includes facing and illuminating shadow themes, as part of the process of enlightenment. But we can get stuck endlessly in darkness and negativity, as we amplify what we focus on. Many psychotherapies err on the negative side, imo. If you focus on problems, you will find problems. If you focus on positive solutions, you will find... guess what? We are treading a thin line here. It's all about proper balance.

• Like 1

On a personal level, I think she generalizes a little too much and is too insistent and self-assured, revealing, to me, an element of insecurity behind all her wise-sounding words. Her eyes are reading text.

But I agree with the basic message, and enjoyed the representative images she chose. False and forced emotions and perspectives are always destructive, but I think a person who is genuinely content will be 'positive' by default.

edit: I think what she's saying is something I just basically assume, and so it seems like a lot of repetition of something very simple and self-evident. But I guess there are a lot of people out there who don't understand it (I'm thinking of my spiritually-inclined friends)

Teal Swan speaks well and puts her point across in a straightforward way without any sign of hesitation. She is also possessed of an air of power and confidence.

There is something about her however that sets the warning bells ringing. There is a certain deadness in the eyes which somehow reminds me of a shark. Perhaps she will join our forum. :D

• Like 4

Teal Swan speaks well and puts her point across in a straightforward way without any sign of hesitation. She is also possessed of an air of power and confidence.

There is something about her however that sets the warning bells ringing. There is a certain deadness in the eyes which somehow reminds me of a shark. Perhaps she will join our forum. :D

Yes,...she may be tricky,...like the Dalai Lama,...playing to particular audiences. You could invite her here,...but I'd suggest only those engaged in her one-year program first can respond on her threads,...out of courtesy.

wow, before today, I'd never heard of the woman. Now I'm aware of a whole movement surrounding her and find myself wishing to restore my previous state of being.

• Like 1

I can't imagine a life without being positive, at least about some things. You don't want to be too Pollyanish, its good to be prepared for what's likely to happen. Yet when you don't know the outcome you may as well hope for the best. Otherwise its too easy fall into negativity about everything and not enjoy life.

Human dynamics the way they are, one's attitude towards others often determines the outcome of ones encounters. Be negative, expect the worse, and that's what you'll get.

I can't imagine a life without being positive,

There is no life in duality without positive,...but then, there is no duality without negative either.

To seek the perceived positive over perceived negative is denial of life.

Allow me to repeat a quote I have often used,...and remember, as all quotes I use, it has nothing to do with the messenger, but simply the message.

"we need to draw our attention to what is false in us, for unless we learn to recognize the false as the false, there can be no lasting transformation, and you will always be drawn back into illusion, for that is how the false perpetuates itself" Eckhart Tolle

Now,...imagine that quote for someone only seeking the positive,...and you should quickly realize that such a person will never recognize the false, and thus, their perceived positive view is itself a falsity that perpetuates their delusion.

The underlying teaching of Buddhism and Taoism is to realize neutrality,...to see positive (yang) and negative (yin) for what it is.

"The Tao gives birth to One. One gives birth to yin and yang. Yin and yang give birth to all things....Recognize that everything you see and think is a falsehood, an illusion, a veil over the truth." Lao Tzu

Keep in mind,...everything one sees and thinks arises from things,...all things are positive and negative. Wholeness is not realized by merging with positive, as if such could even be done,...Wholeness is beyond the sum of opposites.

Duality,...or Yang-Yin,...or positive-negative,...must be fully recognized BEFORE anyone backtrack to Oneness,...and from there, to the Tao. To deny the negative,...to deny the Great Feminine,...is to remain in hell.

Hmnn, in other words you don't get my point. You ignored all the times I wrote the need for balance, not to be Pollyanish and went straight to assuming I meant to be 100% positive. You literally quote half a sentence, ignore the 2nd part and the gist of what I wrote. Missing my point go on to wax poetically about the Great Feminine. It makes replying to you hard,.

Notice how often I wrote Balance. Many times cause its important. I do think people in general are by nature pessimistic so you need a boost of optimism, lets say positivity to overcome that part of human nature. Being positive also opens up possibilities that may not be seen by someone who is more negative.

You took a few hours of learning about Ki stuff from the Ki Society and Koichi Tohei, I spent 13 years training in it. I learned that with a positive attitude you can turn negative situations to your advantage. You have to be realistic but often its there. For example one advanced physical koan was we'd have one person grab our arm with two hands and pull, on the other arm someone would pull the opposite way, stretching you out. A third would be behind you choking you, and a forth infront and when you made a move would punch you in the stomach.

Now that's negativity. Yet, be positive and escape is possible. Matter of fact a couple ways. For example instead of feeling you're being pulled apart by 2 people, why not think, 'Its me, and the guy pulling on the right, against the guy the left. Two against one! Suddenly you can move the 2nd person strongly. With a change of perspective, you've got 160# weapon to use against the choker as well moving out of the way of the punch.

In other words the realist sees 4 attackers and impending doom, the Aikidoist will see possibilities and that comes from positive thinking. In life, in general, be realistic, but allow in a positivity that opens up possibilities. I had to travel recently and though planes were delayed and canceled it wasn't too bad because the people around me were nice. We fist bumped, we danced, we consoled each other. Even in a crappy situation, you can be positive and enjoy yourself, because just being neutral in that situation would sit there wallowing in Sucksville.

You need back up plans, but in the face of adversity, being positive opens up more possibilities. Again that not 100% positive and ignoring the negative, but being realistic, balanced, seeing the whole picture in perspective then adding a dash or two of positivity, maybe 6.345% extra :), its gives you an edge in life. You don't deny the negative, but you don't wallow in it either, you meet the Great Feminine and get her phone number for later.

I'm a financial analyst (portfolio engineer really) and each decision mean making or losing money. I have to throw away as many blinders as possible in order see the big picture. Those who very partisan tend to be lousy investors because they color the truth. Prejudices are the same as blinders.

Ofcourse to me, financial truth number is nobody knows nothing. Firmly knowing that (except for a long term pattern of expansion) one can give up trying to anticipate market moves and craft portfolios that do well in up and sideways markets and not be badly hurt by down ones.

Edited by thelerner

Being positive also opens up possibilities that may not be seen by someone who is more negative.

I learned that with a positive attitude you can turn negative situations to your advantage.

I'm a financial analyst (portfolio engineer really) and each decision mean making or losing money. I have to throw away as many blinders as possible in order see the big picture.

A positive attitude in negative situations seems much better than reacting in kind to any given situation. Although Buddha may have stressed having a neutral or impersonal attitude. My last post was somewhat focusing on the idea of denial,...in that it has become trendy to not look at anything that appears negative,...it is one way the faith-based keep any light from shining on their BS (belief systems).

A good example of Positive Negativism is the 12 Step Programs,...the "Steps" are ultra negative in that they sustain an indoctrination in theism,...and through that negativity, a seemingly positive result of sobriety manifests.

Positiveness also looms large in today's therapeutic culture,...to the detriment of humanity.

Perhaps I see it more like this,...is one's positive attitude connected to hope,...if it is,...then their positiveness is negative, and will retard all opportunities for spiritual awakening.

Hope is an expectation,...and all expectation obscures one from being in the Present.

As for you career choice,...I had read in the NY Times that psychopaths make the best financial managers,...naturally refusing to allow emotions to enter decisions.

• Like 1

Perhaps I see it more like this,...is one's positive attitude connected to hope,...if it is,...then their positiveness is negative, and will retard all opportunities for spiritual awakening.

Hope is an expectation,...and all expectation obscures one from being in the Present.

As for you career choice,...I had read in the NY Times that psychopaths make the best financial managers,...naturally refusing to allow emotions to enter decisions.

That's very succint and just the kind of statement I treasure. Says a lot more than the script of the video in question.

Point about psychopaths and Wall Street is short-sighted, in my opinion and limited experience with these types of people. Cold, calculating types might do a thorough job of "re-structuring" (and getting a good night's sleep afterwards) but they have difficulties staying in one place for long because at the end of the day, business is social interaction, comparable to an extended family, and the large majority of players do not want psychopaths among their ranks.

Personal financial advisers with these tendencies also lose clients comparitively quickly (like I said, in my limited experience, but I could share a few anecdotes) because they inevitably serve their own interests and their clients are generally not stupid people.

• Like 1

Saw this and thought it had a nice logic to it. Full link at the end..

"Its quite a revelation to understand that life energy is opposed to negative thinking the reason why you feel bad when you think negative thoughts is because in that moment your life energy, the wholeness of life, does not agree with you. So when you think a negative thought you are on our own, disconnected from the source energy this disconnection is basically felt as a pull away from your wholeness, and hence its rightly called stress (which is just another name for emotional suffering). In simple words life does not give you the option of thinking negative thoughts without being disconnected from it there is no leeway, even the most subtle negative thought disconnects you from life force in that moment."

http://www.calmdownmind.com/life-does-not-join-you-in-negative-thinking/

I saw her interview on Batgap and somehow managed to get in an argument with one of her "followers" when I said that what she is saying is pretty basic Jungian psychology. I like and agree with a lot of what she says but it's hardly revolutionary. She does seem to attract a cult like following though and if you criticise her you get told that you "aren't ready" for her teaching, like they assume that everyone thinks the law of attraction is gospel.

• Like 2

Point about psychopaths and Wall Street is short-sighted, in my opinion and limited experience with these types of people.

However,...if you did a search on Psychopaths on Wall Street, psychopaths in the work place, Study Finds Corporate Psychopaths Run the Banking Industry, Which Professions Have the Most Psychopaths?, etc,...you will find thousands that disagree with your higher experience,...and very few, if any, that agree. Go figure!

Why are there so many psychopaths on Wall Street?

"People with psychopathic personalities seek out jobs in the financial industry, where charisma, confidence, risk-taking, and a singular focus on self-interest are often rewarded. In fact, DeCovny finds that the best candidates for Wall Street positions often display such characteristics. But some Wall Street workers also develop these traits because of the job and its attendant pressures."

"Its quite a revelation to understand that life energy is opposed to negative thinking the reason why you feel bad when you think negative thoughts is because in that moment your life energy, the wholeness of life, does not agree with you. So when you think a negative thought you are on our own, disconnected from the source energy this disconnection is basically felt as a pull away from your wholeness,

http://www.calmdownmind.com/life-does-not-join-you-in-negative-thinking/

That sounds very New Agey.

Let's start with this concept of "source energy." What does this mean? The source of energy? Energy is an illusion,...an illusion of a perceived separation from Source. From a Taoist/Prajnaparamita Buddhist view, Source is not a generative force nor cause,...thus the term "source energy" is pretty much an oxymoronic notion.

How many times does a person need to look at E=MC2,...before realizing that from Light's point of view, it travels no distance in no time, without any "energy," and has no need for speed. Energy is about duality,...yang/yin,...not the Tao.

Energy comes and goes. The Tao/Source does no come or go. Energy can NEVER cease coming and going. Source and energy NEVER meet.

The Tao/Source is synonymous with being Present. There is no Present in energy, nor in time.

Positive and negative is about coming and going. Yang comes, while Yin goes.

Most folks fear Yin,...they desire coming,...but attempt to deny going.

The link above says, "The most difficult phase after becoming "aware", is to endure the phase during which the past negative momentum ebbs away." What the heck is that supposed to mean?

To realize "real awareness,"...is to be liberated from duality. If one is liberated from an attachment to duality, there is no positive nor negative that needs enduring. Enduring is a condition that Christians associate with love.

Christian love says, "love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things", 1 Cor 13:7. HOWEVER, this , bearing, believing, hoping and enduring is merely ridiculous conditions,....the submission, devotion, expectation and suffering to the conditions of their religions brewed beliefs.

Who we are is never disconnect from Source.

Who we think we are, is not disconnected from the illusion of energy.

I saw her interview on Batgap and somehow managed to get in an argument with one of her "followers" when I said that what she is saying is pretty basic Jungian psychology. I like and agree with a lot of what she says but it's hardly revolutionary. She does seem to attract a cult like following though and if you criticise her you get told that you "aren't ready" for her teaching, like they assume that everyone thinks the law of attraction is gospel.

If you watched batgap,...she went way beyond Jungian psychology,...although only in short comments that went way over the head of the theist Rick Archer,..especially comments about time, present, duality. I'd really like to see her with a spiritually advanced host, or advanced group,...where she doesn't feel the need to dumb down the discussion,...before I could form a fair opinion.

I've heard too many "revolutionary" comments from the few vids I've watch,...to dismiss her.

Nevertheless,...this thread was suppose to be about the nature of positive and negative,...using one Teal Swan message as a talking point,...not necessarily a discussion on the messenger. Of course,...this is the Off-Topic forum,...and as such,...the discussion should flow wherever it does.

I feel that you are making a great assumption in believing that she is "dumbing her message down" to suit her audience. My own suspicion is that she is sufficiently more advanced than her fan base to impress them and even to induce a state of adoration. That is as far as it goes.

She sets the warning bells ringing and I fear that she is in fact serious bad news.

Sign in to follow this