Ace

Mizner/Discover Taiji

Hello All,

I ran acroos this online training from Adam Mizner a couple of weeks ago http://www.discovertaiji.com/

I know the limitations of trying to learn an art like Taiji online/at a distance, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this. My thought was to train in Taijiquan locally & supplement my live training with Mizner's online offering.

Any thought/experiences/opinions out there?

• Like 1

Online training will never compare to attending a class or live training with a teacher. It could in theory be used to supplement your live training but you will find subtle differences even if the forms are the same. This could be problematic.

• Like 3

Thanks, Chang. I agree, online training will never replace hands-on with a teacher. I'd like to supplement the live training (or at least experiment with doing so). I'm just wondering if anyone has nay reviews of/expereince with this particular online training from Mizner.

Does Mizner get into the "energetics" of Taijiquan...or does he mainly stick to the bio-mechanics. I've seen clips of him, but in actuality I know little of his approach to Taiji or his teaching focus.

Hello All,

I ran acroos this online training from Adam Mizner a couple of weeks ago http://www.discovertaiji.com/

I know the limitations of trying to learn an art like Taiji online/at a distance, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this. My thought was to train in Taijiquan locally & supplement my live training with Mizner's online offering.

Any thought/experiences/opinions out there?

Based on what I've seen (online), Adam knows the internal aspects. But only way to know for sure is to push hands with him and meet him in person

As a novice, it is impossible to learn the basic movements correctly the first time. It seems better just to learn the forms, now, and correct them later. You don't want to hear too much minor details to avoid confusion.

Watching the movements of Tai Ji from a video is best from a posterior view.

Edited by ChiDragon

His skills are ridiculous. The online training is on a modified Yang form from Huang Sheng Shyan , and highly focused on internals.

He's a great teacher and arguably one of the greatest tai chi practitioners alive.

Adam Mizner used to be a member here, and you can find his member profile here:

Adam Mizner

If you are interested you can use search for him, for example, searching under taiji produced this:

Greetings. Here is the new Seminar flyer. I hope to see you there.

sem-poster.jpg

Good hunting.

I was really skeptical until I saw this review from Lan Tran.

Thank you Adam Mizner and Jim Russo for hosting this workshop and inviting me as a guest. I also got to meet Adam's other half Kingdao Nilchai who was the videographer of the event.
Adam and I met across FB a little over 3 years ago. I can attest Adam's skill is profound at a level far above what I had imagined. Everyone wants to know how he felt and if there was any difference w/ how the ILC touch feels.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he owned me before physical touch happened. There was no difference in feel between how he felt and how Sifu Sam Chin feels on the touch. Completely neutral and empty. I'm sure a video will be posted soon and you can see what I had to deal with. LOL
I can make many parallels with the skills in what Adam does and how ZXD/ILC manifests the internal quality. Adam pretty much did to me what people see me doing to others in my videos but at a level I have not reached yet but can understand. Every quality that I am learning in ILC was there w/ Adam on the touch. I can see what I am currently doing is on the correct path, but I have a lot of work to do to get to to even get anywhere near Adam's level of efficacy. My current level in ILC is not clear enough yet for me to maintain anything against his skill set. He felt everything I was doing internally and was able to point out what I need to pay attention to in order to advance my skill.
Is there a difference between ILC and Adam's TC ? Only in how we approach. Adam's curriculum is set in pure traditional Yang Style Classics, and he was able to explain all the qualities in a way that is very tangible and workable. It has all the same qualities at the POC, the pivoting, the stickyness.....etc. I felt no difference at all and it even allowed me to see my current errors and insight.
This was no balance tricks or anything of the like. I have done TCC for over 25 years before going to ILC, and Adam is the only one i have ever touched w/ to manifest this feel in the TCC arena. This feel was the same feel I experienced almost 3 yrs ago when touching w/ Sifu Sam Chin. If anyone has any doubts as to what he is doing, do yourself a favor and get to a workshop. More than enough food for thought for one to start questioning the veracity of their own practice. May will be surprised how far off they are.
  • Like 2

$50 for two videos a month seems a bit steep though. I'm not sure how long it will take to learn the form at that rate. Perhaps I misunderstand his website.

I'd rather buy everything up front and work through it at my own rate.

It's a shame because he seems like a good teacher, with a good system to share.

$50 for two videos a month seems a bit steep though. I'm not sure how long it will take to learn the form at that rate. Perhaps I misunderstand his website.

This level of skill cannot be learnt from videos imho. We have to have direct transmission and touch hands with the teachers.

• Like 1

A lot of people want to move through material too quickly before even having a hint of what each posture's intent and purpose. Neijia arts are not something one can learn quickly. My xingyibagua teacher is now charging $100 a month for in-person classes, sometimes only once or twice a month can he make it down to the area. The value of training with people with these kind of skills is not something most understand. There are so many things within the neijia arts that many would miss the cornucopia of needles in the proverbial haystack unless they get pricked with it by the teacher.

• Like 1

It's 4 videos a month, one every week.

I live in too remote an area to get regular access to Taiji teachers, so I'm more than happy to pick up some things from the online video course so that I am more prepared when I do get chance to attend a seminar.