Sign in to follow this  
adept

First Tai Chi Lesson

Well, today I had my first tai chi lesson and I was very impressed. It was part of a scheme run by the local council to get people off their butts and into any kind of exercise.

Stereotypically, I expected nothing but OAP's and ultra happy new age types having seen these sort of things elsewhere. I could not have been so wrong ! In fact, myself and Mrs. Adept were the only ones there. This was to be an excellent opportunity for a virtually private lesson.

The tutor was extremely good. We warmed up with some light stretching and then qigong. Later the instructor took us through body movements, posture, alignment, stepping and breathing. We didn't do the form at all, as the instructor was trying to get us into the way of moving and stepping and coordinating it with correct breathing.

A thoroughly enjoyable first session !

• Like 4

Yep. Lunchtime 12-1. Only £2 as well because it's subsidised by the local council.

Also you could tell that the instructor had the 'juice'. Steel wrapped in cotton as the saying goes.

• Like 3

We didn't do the form at all, as the instructor was trying to get us into the way of moving and stepping and coordinating it with correct breathing.

keep that instructor! Seriously.

• Like 4

Well, today I had my first tai chi lesson and I was very impressed. It was part of a scheme run by the local council to get people off their butts and into any kind of exercise.

Stereotypically, I expected nothing but OAP's and ultra happy new age types having seen these sort of things elsewhere. I could not have been so wrong ! In fact, myself and Mrs. Adept were the only ones there. This was to be an excellent opportunity for a virtually private lesson.

The tutor was extremely good. We warmed up with some light stretching and then qigong. Later the instructor took us through body movements, posture, alignment, stepping and breathing. We didn't do the form at all, as the instructor was trying to get us into the way of moving and stepping and coordinating it with correct breathing.

A thoroughly enjoyable first session !

I wish you many more helpful lessons and many years of enjoying the benefits that taijiquan practice has to offer!

Cheers

I'm hoping to start Tai Chi soon as well. There's one local in my area, just a few stops on the train and I'm there, either that or find some online teaching videos or something similar.

In fact, myself and Mrs. Adept were the only ones there. This was to be an excellent opportunity for a virtually private lesson.

Well it sounds to good to be true, but if it is then it must be good karma. :) Finding a good IMA instructor is 50% of the whole business. The other 50% is your own effort.

Anyway, if you are going to take up Taiji seriously here are some pointers:

1. ZZ is the bread and butter of the practice. It will develop your root.

2. Ma Bu, horse stance training. All Chinese Martial Arts whether external or internal adopt this stance as a way of developing your foundations, power comes from the feet and the waist and Ma Bu was designed with that in mind.

There are a couple of entries (opening and strengthening the kua & Mabu: leading the weight of the body; how to be more vertical) in the following blog that cover important aspects of the stance, even though it comes from a BGZ practitioner, but it doesn't matter, it still is Ma Bu.

The following page is maintained by one of a Taiji player I know of here in Australia:

Brisbane Chen Taiji

This blog provides all the technicalities and nuances of the art.

And yes that teacher makes you train focusing only on waist, arm and leg movement left to right, right to left (lie Mr Miyagi in The Karate Kid: wax on, wax off :D...for a minimum of 3 months until you get the feeling of how to move correctly in Taiji using the kua and connecting all body parts at once, like a big sphere. No forms during that time. The class starts with 1/2h of ZZ practice.

All the best in your Taiji journey :)

Edited by Gerard

Sounds like a total keeper, you got a good look a lot of important stuff on your first lesson and its always a good sign a teacher imparts the basics of her/his skill before moving on to what people often mistake for "the good stuff" or the "real" stuff, imo its the other way around really.

A tip: dont rush ahead of what your instructor is showing you, the internet is great and all that but the less you bring with you to a lesson, the easier it'll be building a good communication and trust with your instructor. What is said about too many cooks is true about martial arts teachers as well.

Have fun!

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 2

I'm hoping to start Tai Chi soon as well. There's one local in my area, just a few stops on the train and I'm there, either that or find some online teaching videos or something similar.

If the local program is run by a good teacher, I'd HIGHLY recommend classes over videos.

• Like 1

Well it sounds to good to be true, but if it is then it must be good karma. :) Finding a good IMA instructor is 50% of the whole business. The other 50% is your own effort.

Anyway, if you are going to take up Taiji seriously here are some pointers:

1. ZZ is the bread and butter of the practice. It will develop your root.

2. Ma Bu, horse stance training. All Chinese Martial Arts whether external or internal adopt this stance as a way of developing your foundations, power comes from the feet and the waist and Ma Bu was designed with that in mind.

There are a couple of entries (opening and strengthening the kua & Mabu: leading the weight of the body; how to be more vertical) in the following blog that cover important aspects of the stance, even though it comes from a BGZ practitioner, but it doesn't matter, it still is Ma Bu.

The following page is maintained by one of a Taiji player I know of here in Australia:

Brisbane Chen Taiji

This blog provides all the technicalities and nuances of the art.

And yes that teacher makes you train focusing only on waist, arm and leg movement left to right, right to left (lie Mr Miyagi in The Karate Kid: wax on, wax off :D...for a minimum of 3 months until you get the feeling of how to move correctly in Taiji using the kua and connecting all body parts at once, like a big sphere. No forms during that time. The class starts with 1/2h of ZZ practice.

All the best in your Taiji journey :)

Thank you Gerard. Indeed, quality IMA instruction is what I've been searching for what seems to be years, and then all of a sudden, this teacher appears, charging only £2 per session, a five minute walk from my door ? Maybe good karma has played a part. When the student is ready, the teacher appears, as the saying goes.

Sounds like a total keeper, you got a good look a lot of important stuff on your first lesson and its always a good sign a teacher imparts the basics of her/his skill before moving on to what people often mistake for "the good stuff" or the "real" stuff, imo its the other way around really.

A tip: dont rush ahead of what your instructor is showing you, the internet is great and all that but the less you bring with you to a lesson, the easier it'll be building a good communication and trust with your instructor. What is said about too many cooks is true about martial arts teachers as well.

Have fun!

Thanks Rocky Lionmouth, that's some good solid advice. Too much MA 'window shopping' can be detrimental to practice.

• Like 1

I wish you many more helpful lessons and many years of enjoying the benefits that taijiquan practice has to offer!

Cheers

Thank you for the good wishes Steve.

adept.....
You have not mentioned what style that was. It didn't sound like a Wu style but more like a Yang style. Am I right....??? :)

This guy is very good in explaining how to do the Tai Ji cat walk.

Edited by ChiDragon

If the local program is run by a good teacher, I'd HIGHLY recommend classes over videos.

Yes I'll have to investigate it further.

adept.....

You have not mentioned what style that was. It didn't sound like a Wu style but more like a Yang style. Am I right....???

:)

I didn't even ask what style it was. To be honest, I'm not too bothered at the minute. I'm just going to enjoy my learning as much as possible and maybe ask more questions at a later date.

Because we didn't learn any form work whatsoever, his style would be difficult to make out.

Judging by the width and length of his stance when showing us movement, I'd have a guess at saying Yang style.

• Like 2

I agree that videos are not good for beginners but good reference. After one learn the basic movements from a teacher and practice diligently. I would recommend to watch as many video as possible to get a good feel of how everyone is doing the same thing differently. One can pick up the good habits and discard the bad ones. Best of all, when the teacher is not available, then, it is a good source of reference for review. Finally, one should not insult one's own intelligence. ;)

edited to add:
P.S.....
The reason we have different style of Tai Ji is because that people do have their own preference of movements for their own comfort. Hence, there is no correct or incorrect way of doing Tai Ji. Even a slight off in the movement is not a significant factor but only a minor issue.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

The window shopping thing doesnt have to be detrimental, the important part imo is to not bring it to lessons, but you seem on top of that already so never mind :)

Also, i think videos and books are good reference, ChiDragon makes good points, but its also important not to indulge ones own intelligence too much either, its easy to see a solution for a situation that is pretty good but not seeing the mistake in a broader context. Even though the form contains the system entirely in its every movement, some of the simplest things are not at all explicit unless you've learned them already, or at least thats my experience.

Best way to learn the tricks is to make mistakes and have your instructor notice them, and over time it'll start to make sense on its own.

Im a bit jealous of you getting started into it, all the fun you'll have discovering it :)

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this