soaring crane

Humor trumps hatred

In Wunsiedel, a town of about 10,000 (not 1,000 as stated in the article), residents got creative in their approach to a pest problem:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4592903,00.html

Short synopsis:

Residents of Wunsiedel, Germany (which is just up the road from me) turned the tables on a planned neo-nazi march. They created a fund-drive that collected ten Euros for every meter the neo-nazis marched. The n-n's were unaware of the action before they started off and the town had prepared all sorts of creative, humorous signs along the route to make it clear what they were doing. Oh, yes, the funds went to an organisation called "EXIT-Deutschland" which helps members of the scene get out of it. So, for every meter they marched, the nazi-scum collected money to help fight nazi-scum. They went the full distance of 10km, bringing in 10,000 Euro for the organisation.

Especially creative: aid stations with food and beverages for the participants, to help keep them going. That's where you see the "Mein Mampf" sign (haha!). There's a marathon run in Wunsiedel and I suspect the race organisers were probably involved in this.

Note: The German word for "food" is "Essen". The word "Mampf" means something like "munchies". So the sign at the aid station is really incredibly funny!

Feeling very proud of my courageous neighbors right now :D

• Like 9

What a perfectly excellent way to turn the tables and turn something ugly into something constructive. Certainly it would make the n-n marchers take pause..

• Like 1

What a perfectly excellent way to turn the tables and turn something ugly into something constructive. Certainly it would make the n-n marchers take pause..

They come to Wunsiedel every year. So, we'll what they do next year.

It seems as though this or something equally creative is going to be done again at other rallies in future.

• Like 2

Soaring Crane - not only is it Humor, but I see the reaction as Love as well. Humor is just the form that love comes in in this particular case. There was some fairly enlightened thinking on the part of someone to devise that response to the marchers. I especially like the food and goodies to keep them going. Gee - maybe next year someone can keep track of how far they march and get people to pledge a certain amount of money per mile (or block, etc) and then contribute the money to a cause that is totally dedicated to wiping out neo-Nazism. If it were sufficiently advertised, I would think it would discourage further marches because they would see it as counter-productive.

• Like 1

That's wonderful to see. Actually, that particular march did make it onto the news that was shown over here - and it did mention how the townspeople treated it as a fundraiser for anti-Nazi causes. I was so gratified to see that it attracted attention for the right reasons.

• Like 1

That's nice to read, Manitou, thanks :)

I've learned in the meantime that a good acquaintance of mine did a lot of the work on this event.

I want to point out how much courage it takes to stand up to these people. They are not the kind to forgive and forget, and there could well be some form of retaliation in the future. They've murdered people in the recent past.

Yes, it takes courage to do the right thing, especially when the stakes are high because of the attitude of the Neos and the retaliation you mentioned.

Those of us with a shamanic bent utilize Death as an ally. The TTC refers to us all as ceremonial straw dogs. The reality is, we're all going to shed this body. When faced with something that takes tremendous courage, it is helpful to remember this. Does it really matter on what particular day we shed our body? That takes care of the fear part, if we can get to this transcendent place within the condition in front of us.

Then....call me crazy....I think this is why the Sage is not harmed. He is in alignment with Truth and he can trust that he will be unharmed, as a tender child. Perhaps this is true, perhaps this is not. But at least we face the condition without fear - and better yet, with Love for those poor Neos who are so blocked with hatred. To shrink from doing the right thing sends us a few paces back, I would think.