Sign in to follow this  
qibrush

Cannot feel chi in the morning

Hello, I've been practicing qi gong (on and off due to school and trips) for about a year now.

I truly enjoy qi gong and so far it has benefited me in almost all areas of my life. However I

have this one problem that I can't seem to get over or find information on.After waking up brushing

my teeth and meditating I used to do qi gong. I would feel the chi but I always

assumed that I must become more experienced if I really want to feel the chi (where it is felt with your

entire being as this warm nice energy) as I had been able to do some months before going to

India on a trip (I was doing it in the evening).

Then one day when I couldn't do the qi gong in the morning I settled for doing it in the evening time.

My lord, I had never felt the qi any stronger. It was coursing through my whole body and it was

exactly what I had wanted. When I woke up the next day I was excited to feel the chi again, however

it was the same old feeling. I would either barely feel chi or feel almost nothing at all. I tried it again

in the afternoon and BAM there it was again. I have since moved my qi-gong practice to evening

time. This time is a little inconvienent for me in that somedays I won't be able to do it at all but I

find this a fair trade off if I get to experience chi and really feel that my qi gong has helped me.

I am still inexperience in Taoism and qi gong as a whole so I could not find any information as to

why I cannot feel any chi in the morning. If it was possible I would love to start doing it in the

morning again so I can fit qi gong into a daily schedule instead of most days in the week. I would

love anyone's advice or suggestions on this. Thank you

Edited by qibrush

Hi and welcome -- what exactly are you feeling?

In the morning? I don't really feel anything. I just did it again this morning to test. I do get this very vague feeling of chi but it's weak even though I'm doing nothing different. In the afternoon I can feel it completely going through my whole body and hands.

You will have different experiences of energy depending upon the time of day in which you practice. The chart below will give you a brief outline of the subject which you may find useful.

The below chart illustrates where the meridians begin and end on the surface of the body, not showing the exact paths they take. It also shows the 24 hour cycle which takes place in the body. For every two hours throughout the day, one organ-channel is at it's peak, while the organ opposite of that hour (ie, bladder/lungs) is at it's low. People who are sensitive enough to energy, always know the time of day just by feeling the rhythmic shifting of energy in the body.

bmer.GIF

• Like 4

In the morning? I don't really feel anything. I just did it again this morning to test. I do get this very vague feeling of chi but it's weak even though I'm doing nothing different. In the afternoon I can feel it completely going through my whole body and hands.

no, soryy, I meant, what are you feeling that you're describing as "qi"? I'm curious about the sensations you're experiencing when you do feel it, whenever that might be.

• Like 1

no, soryy, I meant, what are you feeling that you're describing as "qi"? I'm curious about the sensations you're experiencing when you do feel it, whenever that might be.

It's a little hard to describe it but generally it is this warm, tingly sensation. It is akin to water in the way it flows. I don't know what other way to describe it, it just is.

Chang I looked at the chart but I still don't see how it really works. If I were to practice in the morning it would be at the times from 9-11. Does this mean I have a deficiency in energy in those areas? Forgive me if I sound ignorant about these things.

Sleep is like an energetic winter. While it is rejuvinating on one hand, it is also depleting the body if you have issues transitioning the energetic transformations between seasons.

So, how do you go transitioning from winter to spring? Colds, runny nose, sneasing etc?

By the time afternoon comes around your energy has been able to awaken again and you can feel qi more easily - it is probably the case with 90% or practitioners.

Things you can try to improve it with:

- just keep practicing and reach the threshold where you have cultivated enough qi that you notice the phenomena diminishing.

- ground more in general especially during sleep. if you are aligned to your home electrical grid rather than the earth grid for extended periods you will more readily feel electricity than earth qi (or body qi). They are similar (electromagnetic energies) but one heals and one kills. - try an earthing/grounding system for your bed.

- try a TCM winter herbal tea to assist in transitioning from the morning.

- practice morning and night.

• Like 1

Well, my thoughts are that it's a) not important to feel anything like that while practicing and that B ) the qigong we practice that feels least effective is in fact often the most effective. This is why we practice every day, especially on those days when we don't feel like it and have the impression that we're "just going through the motions".

With your comparison evening vs morning sensations, I'd say it's just more subtle in the morning because you haven't done anything beforehand except sleep (and I'll take a guess that you sleep very well). In the afternoons/evenings, you've accumulated a LOT more sensory input previous to your practice and what you're feeling is the sorting out processes.

Both sessions are beneficial and if you can get in at least a short morning routine, every morning, without high expectations, you'll feel the subtle benefits.

Standing still (after a little vigorous warm-up gymnastics) is a good morning exercise.

Theoretically, the optimal time to practice is in the Lung phase as shown in the chart that Chang posted. BUT that's theoretical and quite ancient. If getting up at 3am does nothing but rob us of sleep, then it's not a good practice to get into.

• Like 2

Ok this is good. I thought that something was wrong with me but thank you guys for clearing out that misconception. I guess I'll start doing a morning session as well as a afternoon session, I just assumed that because I was not feeling chi it meant that it was doing nothing. I see now that this is wrong. Thank you again for your help this was on my mind for quite awhile.

Horus- what exactly do you mean by grounding?

Edited by qibrush

You will have different experiences of energy depending upon the time of day in which you practice. The chart below will give you a brief outline of the subject which you may find useful.

The below chart illustrates where the meridians begin and end on the surface of the body, not showing the exact paths they take. It also shows the 24 hour cycle which takes place in the body. For every two hours throughout the day, one organ-channel is at it's peak, while the organ opposite of that hour (ie, bladder/lungs) is at it's low. People who are sensitive enough to energy, always know the time of day just by feeling the rhythmic shifting of energy in the body.

bmer.GIF

Hi Chang,

Where did you find this chart?

Early morning 3-5 am practice is an alternative and also a great time to meditate - you can also go back to bed afterwards for a bit. Whatever amount of time you practice will reduce the mount of time needed for sleep by about 1.5 to 2 to 1: in other word 40 minutes will reduce sleep needs by an hour to an hour and a half.

Breathing into your Lower Dan Tien while still in bed for awhile will also help to remind you to reside there and center there for the day.

Stretching into your body for the day as well as giving your head a hand washing of energy helps - this also can be done in bed prior to getting up. Move your hands along the length of your arms and up and down your front and back - also the legs.

As we become awake in the morning we tend to be full of "future". Often by the end of the day we are ready to settle into our bodies.

Odd but does it ring true?

Stand and actually be in your body as you stretch into it and then go on to shower. At least while preparing for the day do so by being in your body and in the present. Try not to be in the details of the coming day, where you left off yesterday and even in the desire to get coffee into you or food. You can be in your body and breathing into the LDT and dressing your self for moving about in the world while maintaining presence in the present.

You may also find practice to be particularly strong around 5:30-6:30 pm

Some of the reasons are shown in the chart Chang used above but also among them is that near the end of the day we are more able to relax into the practice in the present. You can feel this as well in the very early morning - well ahead of the day with no immediate "future" anxieties or pressure/projection.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

I like that, i'm gonna have to try it. I find myself waking up atleast 2-3 times a night to go to the bathrooms anyways. My first time is usually around 3 so I will have to try meditation then. I am curious however to exactly why the sleep needs decrease if practice is done around those times. I imagine one would have very vivid dreams after meditating and then going to bed around those times.

I like that, i'm gonna have to try it. I find myself waking up atleast 2-3 times a night to go to the bathrooms anyways. My first time is usually around 3 so I will have to try meditation then. I am curious however to exactly why the sleep needs decrease if practice is done around those times. I imagine one would have very vivid dreams after meditating and then going to bed around those times.

The reason you sleep is in order for the very same energies that move through you during meditation to move through you.

In seated meditation the amount of this energy movement increases dramatically so you will need less sleep.

You will definitely also find you will practically float off the bead instead of begrudgly getting up and pulling yourself around.

Seated at the edge of a chair is even more energetic in this regard and standing meditation is again even greater.

• Like 2

don't chase after sensations too hard,

just let it be what it is.

having said that- you will eventually find that you are able at least to some extent to control the energy field when you practice. so you ought to be able to focus your mind to make it larger or smaller depending on what you need.

the way you hold the mind in qigong is very important- and what you need from day to day will differ depeneding on your level of awakeness, how full of food you are, how good or bad you feel etc...

don't always chase after the same feeling,

let the practice be natural...

in the morning I:

sit up in bed, dangle my feet over the side and make contact with the floor- then sink my mind through my body into my legs and feet. i let the mind rest in the feet a while until all the blood has settled into my body and left my head. then i get up and softly creep to the washroom to shower and the like.

this kind of practice is very wonderful and can give you a sense of early morning vitality- it also helps make morning practice more effective, since you don't have to battle with a sleepy head.

• Like 1

I am the same, usually less chi in the morning, a lot in afternoon or evening. Very late however not so good.

Its also the same for my meditation. But everyday is always slightly different too. Some morning qigong sessions have been powerful and afternoon nothing.

Agree with posters, if you feel do qigong in the morning, continue doing it then, regardless of what chi you feel. However if you feel really uninspired and feeling nothing, perhaps you are doing it because you think you should be doing it, rather than what your body/energy system wants to do. Sometimes the right practice at the right time is best (and not just sometimes).

I once made a deal with myself... if I woke up between 3-5am, I would do some meditation... next thing I knew, I was waking up every day at that time ! I finally released myself from that deal and slept longer :) But I do encourage one to give it a go.

Shaking/vibrating the body for a few minutes, getting outside for fresh air and sunshine shouldn't be discounted. Facing the sun, feeling the curvature of the earth, watching colors behind your (closed) eyes, standing in a strong posture. All good.

I won't even claim this brings on 'chi' since there are so many definitions but its brings relaxation and clearness. I figure those are bridges that most be crossed to get there.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

A simple way understand daily Qi dynamics is to relate the morning to spring, noon to summer, evening to fall, and night to winter. Like the spring, Qi gently emerges in the morning. It's normal to take some time to warm up. Practices like shaking are a great way to act like spring (the trigram associated with spring is called 震 zhen and means vibration) and help the yang emerge.

However, because you say you are waking a few times a night to urinate, you should consider that your "winter" energy might have a problem. Winter is associated with storage and relates to the kidneys, bladder and genitals in Chinese medicine. Waking to pee during the night can mean that the kidney and bladder's ability to act like winter and store tight might be compromized. In time this often manifests as prostate issues in men. When the Qi is not stored firmly through the night, there will be less Qi feeling in the morning. But this intitial diagnosis should not at all be considered definitive and there could be other factors at play. If in doubt see an MD and a CM doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Edited by 松永道
  • Like 1

A simple way understand daily Qi dynamics is to relate the morning to spring, noon to summer, evening to fall, and night to winter. Like the spring, Qi gently emerges in the morning. It's normal to take some time to warm up. Practices like shaking are a great way to act like spring (the trigram associated with spring is called 震 zhen and means vibration) and help the yang emerge.

However, because you say you are waking a few times a night to urinate, you should consider that your "winter" energy might have a problem. Winter is associated with storage and relates to the kidneys, bladder and genitals in Chinese medicine. Waking to pee during the night can mean that the kidney and bladder's ability to act like winter and store tight might be compromized. In time this often manifests as prostate issues in men. When the Qi is not stored firmly through the night, there will be less Qi feeling in the morning. But this intitial diagnosis should not at all be considered definitive and there could be other factors at play. If in doubt see an MD and a CM doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Hmmm, is there anything I could do to help with my winter energy? I'm doing semen retention so that might also have something to do with this.

Honestly any practice that can strongly improve someone's health can also strongly screw it up. So I hesitate to prescribe a practice. Ideally that should be done in person by someone who will take you pulse or otherwise conduct a proper diagnosis. All medicine is poison, all poison is medicine, the distinction is made in application.

Semen retention is definitely a practice to be careful with. It can cause Qi and blood stasis when performed improperly. Know that if you get any pain in your balls or lower abdomen you're definately not doing it right. Also, in cause you didn't know, semen retention was historically a practice for older people to recharge their kidney yang, not for young guys. Kidney yang deficiency can cause night urination but it isn't the only cause.

Safer, slower practices for kidney yang are quiet sitting meditation and any movement practices that strengthen the inner leg.

Edited by 松永道

Sign in to follow this