Yasjua

So I have a hernia...

I'm looking for informed opinions and advice on dealing with an inguinal hernia. I noticed the lump on my right pubic area about 5 months ago, but it didn't bother me at all, so I didn't do any research or go to the doctor.

Fast-forward to a month ago - I caught a cold and started coughing a lot. The pubic area started to hurt, so I looked it up and found out I had a hernia. General physician confirmed the diagnosis.

I'm seeing a purportedly excellent surgeon tomorrow for his professional advice, and will probably have to decide between getting a very simple outpatient surgery or doing nothing about it. I suppose my questions are:

^1 - are there any unconventional treatments that I haven't heard about?

^2 - has anyone had inguinal hernia repair before? did you experience any complications?

^3 - are you familiar with the mesh some surgeons use to repair the stomach wall? will my body recognize this as a foreign substance? will this complicate or compromise my body's long-term health?

Edited by Yasjua

I'm looking for informed opinions and advice on dealing with an inguinal hernia. I noticed the lump on my right pubic area about 5 months ago, but it didn't bother me at all, so I didn't do any research or go to the doctor.

Fast-forward to a month ago - I caught a cold and started coughing a lot. The pubic area started to hurt, so I looked it up and found out I had a hernia. General physician confirmed the diagnosis.

I'm seeing a purportedly excellent surgeon tomorrow for his professional advice, and will probably have to decide between getting a very simple outpatient surgery or doing nothing about it. I suppose my questions are:

^2 - has anyone had inguinal hernia repair before? did you experience any complications?

^3 - are you familiar with the mesh some surgeons use to repair the stomach wall? will my body recognize this as a foreign substance? will this complicate or compromise my body's long-term health?

I had a hiatul hernia. Doctors did a fundoplication. Major surgery to "fix" it. It didnt fix it, just lessened the symptoms.

Later on, found a holistic healer, fixed the hernia in 3 minutes utilizing some applied kinesiology/ body manipulation therapy.After this, never had a problem with it.

Something to think about.

• Like 1

Yasjua I can help you with advice.

I had an inguinal hernia in 2005. Left and right sides of my stomach split from bad lifting due to being tired during night shift work while at Uni and also being weak from sex before work.

Only the left side of my stomach came out.

Surgery was completed with a long cut down my lower stomach/pubic area and it was fixed with mesh. Note that they will shave your pubic hair ;)

Touch wood I have had no issues since and the steel mesh is stronger than just sowing the stomach together, but be careful lifting heavy or akward objects for life after the operation.

My suggestion is to have the operation as it hurts the nerves in that area and down the legs if you leave it.

I couldn't walk for 2 weeks after the operation as I was in pain.

But you get over it :)

There are always possible complications to surgery but mine went well and my body did not reject the steel mesh. Also no long term side effects as all the doctors are doing are joining two parts of the stomach together with mesh.

Good luck as it takes alot of courage to get operated down in that area but its definitely worth it from my experience.

Peace FT

Edited by Formless Tao

I've had two hernia's 15 years apart on different sides which were both repaired by surgery. The first one was conventional cut open at the pubic area, the second was a keyhole operation. Both with mesh fitted to strengthen the muscle. Even though the keyhole has a quicker recovery, I found that long term I've had more problems with the keyhole. Pain when pressing on parts of my stomach etc. As FT rightly says, you have to be really careful what you do in future to not risk another tear.

• Like 1

You could try kinesiotape in a * pattern over the lump.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001VNE7TK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1416312697&sr=8-4Ï€=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I got an inguinal hernia while pregnant and although it was painful surgery of course not advisable then, so I kept it taped which did really help control the lump and I continued for couple months after having baby. It became negligible and now just feel slight swelling if I get a cough or do heavy lifting. This is 10 years later so not completely better, but definitely not worth even considering surgery.