Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

Letting go into death

What would it feel like to let go and disappear into death? Knowing that what you think you are will become no more?

Sorry for the morbid question, just some insights during meditation that I wanted to get feedback on.

The answer to this question will come soon enough and it is not a subject I would squander time considering.

• Like 3

i dont think there is liberation after death. the poeple who die are mostly just yin souls and havent become truely conscious immortal.

liberation is freeing oneself from the cycle... most people dont leave the cycle upon death...

If you go deep enough into what the Buddha taught, you will realize deathlessness.

Its a little different from immortality.

Knowing interdependent origination is to know the conditions which brings into being birth, old age, sickness and death.

To go beyond conditions is to practice reversing the 12 links of causality in as mindful a fashion as your practice allows you.

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

The fear that comes with the feeling of oblivion through meditation is the same as any other fear. It doesn't exist. The point of letting go is a test of faith, if you like. Once you do, you realize there was nothing to let go of.

All my little oh so special experiences of feeling I wasn't thinking at all for very brief moments... If that's what death is like I would gladly take it now or whenever.

All my little oh so special experiences of feeling I wasn't thinking at all for very brief moments... If that's what death is like I would gladly take it now or whenever.

I would recommend "whenever" rather than "now".

• Like 1

Of course. While I'm alive I have a body to experience nothingness.

Tricky subject but I think we are all on the same page.

Edited by woodcarver
  • Like 1

There is a sense of oneself, and of being "at home", that exists when everything else fades away. It's how things always are and were. Look up at the stars on a clear night, and you feel something like this. It's not that death is this blackness which overcomes everything and then you are no more. Perhaps who you thought you were, will change and be no more...for instance, your body might be in the grave. Your ideas of yourself will be long gone. But who you truly are, remains, and always will no matter what, and all is right with the universe. The sense of the blackness or oblivion of death passes, and this deathless existence remains.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying. I don't want to live on in the hearts of my countrymen; I want to live on in my apartment.

(Woody Allen)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 4

There is a sense of oneself, and of being "at home", that exists when everything else fades away. It's how things always are and were. Look up at the stars on a clear night, and you feel something like this. It's not that death is this blackness which overcomes everything and then you are no more. Perhaps who you thought you were, will change and be no more...for instance, your body might be in the grave. Your ideas of yourself will be long gone. But who you truly are, remains, and always will no matter what, and all is right with the universe. The sense of the blackness or oblivion of death passes, and this deathless existence remains.

Darn I thought I was the only one who noticed the night sky effect. Back to the drawing board

What would it feel like to let go and disappear into death? Knowing that what you think you are will become no more?

Sorry for the morbid question, just some insights during meditation that I wanted to get feedback on.

Not at all a morbid question.

Death is every bit as natural and necessary as life.

If one ever has contact with the unborn and undying essence, the fear of death is gone in a flash.

What's morbid is that so many of us fear and resist death and yet we waste our entire life worrying about the future and regretting the past.

Nothing lasts, nothing is what we expect, and everything changes.

When we embrace and accept the end of everything we know and are, it allows us to truly live.

It's a wonderful practice - very liberating.

I suppose, upon death, I wouldn't be thinking about death at all, or of anything else.

One of the things I love about you Marblehead. You point to the obvious so well.

I forget the philosopher, some greek or roman, who pointed out the illogic of fearing death. I cant do it justice, but it cruxed on if there is 'nothing', then none of us will experience it as we are alive the entire time we are alive, and dead the instance we are dead, so its pointless fearing something that can't be experienced.

If there is 'something' after death though, well, then we dont really 'experience' death either...

• Like 2

If there is 'something' after death though, well, then we dont really 'experience' death either...

That is a powerful statement. It brings together well the "either/or" concepts regarding death. Conclusion: nothing left to concern ourselves with.

• Like 1

Follow it through and see what happens

Interesting to know what would happen.

I really had an intuitive feeling that I would leave the body, with no chance of return. The first time it happened I pulled away, the second time I was looking after some dependent animals and I couldn't allow them to suffer if I left.

Maybe it was just a subconscious reaction though.

That is the investigation Ramana Maharshi did which led to his awakening.

Really death is nothing other than the present moment, so what will happen if you come in to the present moment? It's possible that the mind may convince the body that you might die as the false character (which is only found in the imagination of past or future) fights for its survival. The mind has the capacity to create a hell realm for you out of resisting the moment or it can submit and let go, each persons experience will be different. If you are blessed with genuine natural faith and trust it is likely to be an easier ride than the person who has a very tight traumatised ego.

Sign in to follow this