Sign in to follow this  
Wun Yuen Gong

Yoga or Chi Kung

This question has probably been said plenty of times but i have a question on good flexibilty and yoga compared to chi kung.

Yoga asanas are static postures and some moving that resemble chi kung, but it is different what do you think would give better results or do you think they lead to the same path?

regards

WYG

My impression is that, from a physical standpoint, qigong is a little more focused on joint health, and yoga is more focused on the connective tissue health. Both are important when it comes to flexibility. If your joints are in good shape, diving into yoga will probably give you faster results. If they're not, qigong might be a safer option to start with, and work the yoga in as you start to feel better.

I would be interested to see if most internal masters would agree with CARDIO workouts, running, swimming into there healthly lifestyle?

Is the Cardio type training more a western way of health then easter and would it matter if you didnt do cardio but had good diet, internal training but no cardio as such?

I would be interested to see if most internal masters would agree with CARDIO workouts, running, swimming into there healthly lifestyle?

Is the Cardio type training more a western way of health then easter and would it matter if you didnt do cardio but had good diet, internal training but no cardio as such?

Conditioning - including but not limited to cardio - is a necessary part of training. As I understand it, the old time teachers didn't have to worry about that so much because the hard work required in their lives (fieldhand, blacksmith, etc) provided a great deal of that conditioning. The more the east becomes like the sedentary west, the more they'll find they need to do it, too.

I actually just read a biography of Bill Bowerman a few days ago (past U of Oregon track coach, Olympic caliber) who highlighted the same point in an argument with a New Zealand coach, who was teasing Bowerman about incorporating weight training for his athletes. Bowerman made the point that, at that time, they were still mostly working fields and baling hay in the fields of NZ, and that if his athletes were doing the same, he wouldn't bother.

Good point grass hopper. So far I have enjoyed mixing up yoga, dance, qi gong and meditation of course massage (self or other) etc. What yoga really is, is a form of tantra! So it qi gong but maybe less hardcore in some respect.

I say seek a higher balance.

Thanks for the replies, Yoga does have some very advance asanas and i will probably never be able to most of them but there is some asanas that resemble some chi kung i have practised or still practise now. Yoga is also deep in meditation like Raja Yoga which is all seated meditation for what i know. So Yoga is a very deep system of health in some ways similar in its teaching of Prana or chi like in chinese.

What im trying to understand from a western point of view is should one do Cardio like running, treadmill etc or would that be depleating the chi that one cultivates?

WYG

What im trying to understand from a western point of view is should one do Cardio like running, treadmill etc or would that be depleating the chi that one cultivates?

WYG

The only thing I can add to your searching process is that Cardio increases inflammation in the body, so you need be mindful of that and eat and rest accordingly. Moderation is probably key. This is the reason behind the paradox of why so many high profile runners etc. die of heart attacks.

T

What would recondmend for weightloss when doing Chi Kung, appart from my poor diet which is soon to be fixed. Cardio gives quicker results then doing chi kung IMHO for weightloss but i dont like running probably just walk and med at the same time?

WYG

What would recondmend for weightloss when doing Chi Kung, appart from my poor diet which is soon to be fixed. Cardio gives quicker results then doing chi kung IMHO for weightloss but i dont like running probably just walk and med at the same time?

WYG

I personally enjoy FlowFit - imo it covers all the bases - dynamic flexibility, breathing in motion, cardio, helps to balance the muscles and tendons\ligaments, is designed in a way that helps you get into a flow state... it also progresses in complexity so there is always room for growth... pretty good for one dvd!

I think Sonnon's systems are very much compatible with qi gong.

Nah, i dont like Sonnon or his RMAX, but thanks!

:o

lol fair enough.

I'm not that big on Sonnon and Rmax, but still love intuflow and flowfit...

Have a look at Meridian Stretching - I think there are a few people here that do it... you might like it for stretching - no cardio though...

There is also the Hindu pushups, squats and bridging combo for cardio conditioning - Cameron seems to like em.

WYG

If you know how to swim i highly recommend it.especially in the ocean.guarenteed to help you lose weight,great for the immune system especially if the water is cold.Good all around work out,easy on your joints,good for your spirit.The amount of energy i.e. fat your body needs to consume particularly in cold water to maintain stasis is much higher then flogging yourself in some smelly gym.Stay away from indoor swimming pools those things are poison.

WYG

Take in less calories than you need. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.

T

Thanks all, im only 10 kilos over weight and i was looking at answers that i didnt have to use running or western way of weightloss exercises. Good strength training with chi kung and meditation can be very benifcial as my art uses a heavy metal sphere for its iron body conditioning.

Appreciate everyones answers!

This question has probably been said plenty of times but i have a question on good flexibilty and yoga compared to chi kung.

Yoga asanas are static postures and some moving that resemble chi kung, but it is different what do you think would give better results or do you think they lead to the same path?

regards

WYG

If you do practice Hatha Yoga and Tai Chi/Chi Kung, you'll see the similarities in the energy flow. Personally yoga has been helpful in opening up some channels (or so I feel) and developing the suspension that my teacher emphasizes in Tai Chi practice.

It might seem a tad unnatural, but it feels really great once you get going. The key to doing Hatha Yoga is moderation (tai chi classic? Not too much, not too little).

Sign in to follow this