judoboy

don't know where to start

hi.. new here from the Philippines, I have been a Judoka for 8 years now and Im really interested in doing tai chi and qi gong. correct me if im wrong, what I know is I cant learn tai chi without an instructor right? I can only learn qi gong by myself. :?:

If I can only learn qi gong, what kind of qi gong is fit for a judoka like me?

thank you in advance guy.. hope to learn a lot from all of you :)

Zhan Zhuang is a great practice, such stillness is the root of powerful movement. Lots of good information on it in the 'Zhan Zhuang Suggestions for Short Practice' thread As far as an easy qi gong routine, here is a quick easy one I like. Simple, but effective. This is Michael Winn's version. There are others.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

It would be a good idea to look for a taiji teacher in your city. If there is a judo club, perhaps there is a taijiquan club too. Good luck !

• Like 1

'Where do I start' is an excellent question. First you need to ask what you will be doing gi gong for ? Do you want to boost your immune system or are looking for something else. As a place to start there is spring forest qigong if you want an introductory course. There is also great texts like 'the root of Chinese qigong' by Yang Jwing-Ming to get started. Finally there are systems like Bak Fu Sunn Yee Gong that you may also like.

I hope that is some help as there is a lot of approaches out there and I'm sure others can recommend other systems too.

• Like 1

thank you :D

Zhan Zhuang is a great practice, such stillness is the root of powerful movement. Lots of good information on it in the 'Zhan Zhuang Suggestions for Short Practice' thread As far as an easy qi gong routine, here is a quick easy one I like. Simple, but effective. This is Michael Winn's version. There are others.

thank you ill see to it to read more about Zhan Zhuang... :)

I used to hold the opinion that you can teach yourself qigong...

Well you can, and it's very slow.

i have no choice, i have been searching for club here that can teach me, but to no avail.. hope to find who can teach me personally here in our area.. thank you for the reply

It would be a good idea to look for a taiji teacher in your city. If there is a judo club, perhaps there is a taijiquan club too. Good luck !

there is a taijiquan club but i would have to travel for 2 hours or more, here in our area i cant find any club that could teach me personally... thank you for the reply

'Where do I start' is an excellent question. First you need to ask what you will be doing gi gong for ? Do you want to boost your immune system or are looking for something else. As a place to start there is spring forest qigong if you want an introductory course. There is also great texts like 'the root of Chinese qigong' by Yang Jwing-Ming to get started. Finally there are systems like Bak Fu Sunn Yee Gong that you may also like. I hope that is some help as there is a lot of approaches out there and I'm sure others can recommend other systems too.

i would like to start from the basic, not to jump ahead so that i can apply it to my everyday life not just for martial arts.. i need to read more and find an instructor here in our area. thank you for the reply :)

Hi Judoboy,

To learn Taijiquan all you need is zhan zhuang as in the post #2 and to learn the main postures of Yang Chengfu Taichi style from here:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/36682-zhan-zhuang-suggestions-for-short-practice/?p=588425

All you need is a mirror or a wall on which you project your shadow so that you can see your posture compared to what you see in the pictures. Then you need to link the postures very slowly, you can find lots of tutorials on youtube.

This guy I like the most in Yang style:

For the next step (learning the martial applications of the Taichi forms) you need a partner.

Edited by Andrei

Zhan zhuang will cause the body to become more immovable than others. So if someone tries to throw you in judo, it will be more challenging...but you will throw them even easier due to having more of a root. Your body will be more integrated. The only time this is bad in martial arts, is when it would be better to deflect something...it's not good to be completely immovable when a punch is coming your way for instance, because all of that force will enter and damage you. So it's good to train both ways...to be light as a feather, and also to be heavy as a mountain, and to know how and when to switch between the two.

Even just for qigong, though (without consideration of martial arts), zhan zhuang is good. It increases your qi and health.

Hi Judoboy,

To learn Taijiquan all you need is zhan zhuang as in the post #2 and to learn the main postures of Yang Chengfu Taichi style from here:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/36682-zhan-zhuang-suggestions-for-short-practice/?p=588425

All you need is a mirror or a wall on which you project your shadow so that you can see your posture compared to what you see in the pictures. Then you need to link the postures very slowly, you can find lots of tutorials on youtube.

thank you for the reply Andrei :)

correct me if i didn't understand it correctly, I can do Zhan Zhuang the standing qi gong by learning the main postures of Yang Chengfu Taichi style? or if i want to learn tai chi ill follow the postures? im sorry for the noob question, i just want to get it right and do it the right way... i really appreciate your reply to my post:)

Zhan zhuang will cause the body to become more immovable than others. So if someone tries to throw you in judo, it will be more challenging...but you will throw them even easier due to having more of a root. Your body will be more integrated. The only time this is bad in martial arts, is when it would be better to deflect something...it's not good to be completely immovable when a punch is coming your way for instance, because all of that force will enter and damage you. So it's good to train both ways...to be light as a feather, and also to be heavy as a mountain, and to know how and when to switch between the two.

Even just for qigong, though (without consideration of martial arts), zhan zhuang is good. It increases your qi and health.

"to be light as a feather, and also to be heavy as a mountain" i really like this... it really describes Judo for me..

thank you for the reply.. i have a long way to go, but i know my persistence will get me there..

Hello judoboy,

I don’t think one can really learn Taijiquan alone. Just my opinion.

As far as qigong goes, my advice is to do Zhan Zhuang daily using Lam Kam Chuen's book the Way of Energy and the you tube videos and complementing it with Eight pieces of Brocade.

I personally find Dr Yang Jwing Ming’s version of Eight pieces of brocade very good. Just my opinion.

Mindfulness meditation can be done in the evening.

Before each qigong session you should do

. It is a very good one.

This way, you have a complete program : standing, moving and sitting practice.

If you do that, you will be busy for at least 115-120 min per day. If you have time for some other practice, go ahead.

Anyway, the best practice for you, is the one you really commit to do daily, be it zhan zhuang, Baduanjin or SFQ or whatever.

Best,

• Like 3

Hello judoboy,

I don’t think one can really learn Taijiquan alone. Just my opinion.

As far as qigong goes, my advice is to do Zhan Zhuang daily using Lam Kam Chuen's book the Way of Energy and the you tube videos and complementing it with Eight pieces of Brocade.

I personally find Dr Yang Jwing Ming’s version of Eight pieces of brocade very good. Just my opinion.

Mindfulness meditation can be done in the evening.

Before each qigong session you should do

. It is a very good one.

This way, you have a complete program : standing, moving and sitting practice.

If you do that, you will be busy for at least 115-120 min per day. If you have time for some other practice, go ahead.

Anyway, the best practice for you, is the one you really commit to do daily, be it zhan zhuang, Baduanjin or SFQ or whatever.

Best,

Hi bubble

yup, i thought so, i will need to find a instructor, someone to check if what im doing is right or wrong.

I have been doing the 8 pieces of brocade for a few days now, when you said "This way, you have a complete program : standing, moving and sitting practice." first is the Zhang Zhuang and 8 pieces in the morning then the sitting meditation in the evening?

thank you for the reply

I have been doing the 8 pieces of brocade for a few days now, when you said "This way, you have a complete program : standing, moving and sitting practice." first is the Zhang Zhuang and 8 pieces in the morning then the sitting meditation in the evening?

thank you for the reply

The idea is that yang activities are best done in the morning and yin activities in the evening. Just follow natural cycles. But if it's not convenient to you, practice when you can. Practice is what is important.

By the way, Dr Yang's books root of Chinese Chi-Kung and Embryonic breathing can give you good insights for your practice.

Be well,

• Like 1

The idea is that yang activities are best done in the morning and yin activities in the evening. Just follow natural cycles. But if it's not convenient to you, practice when you can. Practice is what is important.

By the way, Dr Yang's books root of Chinese Chi-Kung and Embryonic breathing can give you good insights for your practice.

Be well,

now i get it,

thank you for the help :D

hope to learn more from you guys...

Hi Judo-Boy,

A lot of good advice here.

Personally I am very happy with Zhang Zuang (holding the tree or ball position) and then Spring Forest Qigong, which has a lot of moving exercises. That way you can mix stillness and movement.

From SFQ, moving of Ying and Yang which was linked is a great exercise for health, but to feel chi in your hands very quickly, I recommend the joining of Ying and Yang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhhYrGqfQxo

My Masters always told me to start by relaxing yourself, which can make the exercises up to ten times more efficient. And finish them by a closing exercise when you are done, for example focusing on your Dan-Tian under the naval, which is our main energetic center.

Zhang Zuang tree position is the toughest excercice, it can be super tough the first few times, so don't be discouraged by that one.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 2

Be well,

another thing :D

from what i have read from other sources practicing ZZ could take hours? is that true? can i practice it even just for 10 to 30 minutes daily?

noob question T_T

Hi Judo-Boy,

A lot of good advice here.

Personally I am very happy with Zhang Zuang (holding the tree or ball position) and then Spring Forest Qigong, which has a lot of moving exercises. That way you can mix stillness and movement.

From SFQ, moving of Ying and Yang which was linked is a great exercise for health, but to feel chi in your hands very quickly, I recommend the joining of Ying and Yang.

My Masters always told me to start by relaxing yourself, which can make the exercises up to ten times more efficient. And finish them by a closing exercise when you are done, for example focusing on your Dan-Tian under the naval, which is our main energetic center.

Zhang Zuang tree position is the toughest excercice, it can be super tough the first few times, so don't be discouraged by that one.

hi Sebastian

thanks, ahm if i will be doing 8 pieces, zz and sfq.. how do you suggest me doing it? as of the moment every morning after i pray fajr i do my 8 pieces brocade...

thank you :D

Hey

Do what works best for you, if you're happy with your arrangement, that's great !

Personally I like doing ZZ in the morning, it's one hell of a wake-up exercise and I find I can hold the pose longer in the morning then after one day at the office.

Just 10 minutes a day is already great and can build some serious energy if you stick with it everyday. Bring it up to 20-30 when you are comfortable.

When you can hold one standing posture like the tree for 1 hour or more, then you've got some serious kung-fu in my book.

I'd be afraid you start shooting fireballs at me from the Philippines. I am in Taiwan, but I'd have to erect a giant force field to block your energy. Yes, the high level becomes very much like Dragon Ball Z ;-0

3827611_std.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 2

Hey

Do what works best for you, if you're happy with your arrangement, that's great !

Personally I like doing ZZ in the morning, it's one hell of a wake-up exercise and I find I can hold the pose longer in the morning then after one day at the office.

Just 10 minutes a day is already great and can build some serious energy if you stick with it everyday. Bring it up to 20-30 when you are comfortable.

When you can hold one standing posture like the tree for 1 hour or more, then you've got some serious kung-fu in my book.

I'd be afraid you start shooting fireballs at me from the Philippines. I am in Taiwan, but I'd have to erect a giant force field to block your energy. Yes, the high level becomes very much like Dragon Ball Z ;-0

3827611_std.jpg

hahaha :D epic... after a few months you can expect some fireballs from here haha

so, i can do the 8 pieces brocade then after than ill do the ZZ, is that okay for my routine?

325552-bigthumbnail.jpg

You bet. It's a good idea to warm up / open the body before ZZ, and these exercises should open up the spine pretty well.

Now with that said.

300px-10x_Kamehameha_3.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 1

Now with that said.

300px-10x_Kamehameha_3.jpg

thank you Sebastian :D ill start with the routine tomorrow, just need to be diligent in my practice..

ill post any updates in my practice

be well..

• Like 1