Sign in to follow this  
i am

Living Simply

So this is a split of a split IQ--->Success--->Living Simply.

Maybe it's too much to expect a person truly living this to be on the internet, much less this site. But who is really living this ideal people like to talk about? I feel like people with decent paying jobs and a secure life like to talk about how true success is being happy with a bowl of rice.

But I'd like to hear from someone living this, and get their take on it. I absolutely believe there are people living a simple, happy life out in the country. Like some people third-world countries. But I'm not interested in hearing from a Westerner who is not living that life, and doesn't know the day-in day-out realities of it, putting it up on display as some ideal.

I think most of us on this site are not enlightened. So to us, success is going to require some level of monetary comfort. I don't like people with money in their bank account pretending it's not.

If someone around here is living the life that people like to lay out as what a spiritually realized being could be completely content with, I'd like to hear from you. Send me a PM if that's easier.

This could include a commune, an eco village, a monastery, or otherwise. Living in a tiny house on a trailer in someone's backyard? No retirement, no insurance? Bringing in recycling to afford your next meal?

Sure, probably an enlightened being can be living on the streets, perfectly happy. For the rest of us, realistically, how simply are you living? How simple can your life truly be, for you to still be happy? Not theorizing from the drivers seat of your Mercedes about how you'd be plenty happy if you were poor. I mean people living a truly simple life without the security blanket of a fat bank account, investments, health insurance and retirement.

Are you content? Or do you stress this stuff? I realize that anyone who is not fully realized will struggle trying to live an "ideal" spiritual life, whatever that is. But there must be levels.

What I guess I'm getting at is I'd like to hear a realistic concept of people being happy, not an idealized one. We're all somewhere along the way to enlightenment. Until we're there, let's be real about what success in life means to us. How much can we do without? How many levels of security do we need to be comfortable, and therefore happy and content?

Just knowing that someone will feed us? Or a paycheck? Living paycheck to paycheck? Or money in the bank? No insurance? No hope of ever retiring?

Ideally, I get it. An enlightened being can wander the earth, receiving food and lodging where they find it, and being completely happy and not constantly stressed and struggling.

If someone is that, or is close to that, speak up. Otherwise let's be real and talk about the level of simple living that we can really be happy with, especially those actually living it, not just people giving it lip service.

9 months ago I would be right there with you in the theorizing of simple living and being happy with a bowl of rice. I'm in a slightly different situation now and it's forced me to confront the reality of those ideals, so I'm being a bit stubborn. I want the opinion of those achieving this simplistic contentment, not those just thinking about it poetically.

I don't think the Sage is devoid of hardship, or challenge.

I don't think they rejoice in the simple, nor judge the complex...

They do not, based on my readings of such, define themselves by either.

Nor do the pleasant things become who they are...

to be in the world, but not of it is sagely... to me.

• Like 1

I don't think they rejoice in the simple, nor judge the complex..

I think it depends on the sage. The Laozi and Zhuangzi are all about simplicity.

to be in the world, but not of it is sagely... to me.

I would have phrased it, "To be of the world, but not in it".. ha!

How much can we do without? How many levels of security do we need to be comfortable, and therefore happy and content?

secure > comfortable > happy ? I know that might not be what you're saying, precisely, but it sounds like it, a little.

Just to offer something..

Earlier this year, I quit the best-paying job I ever had, and have been scraping by ever since. Little money, no car, no "social life", etc... not the modern "success story".

I'm less secure than I was before... but happier. Not the happiest I've been... but enough for the moment. It was either quit or go mad, and I do not regret it.

But no, I have not given up everything to go live in the woods a la Thoreau, as much as I have considered it.

Well for me, at least right now, it's part of it. Lack of security makes it hard to be comfortable. If you don't feel safe, either financially or otherwise, it's hard to be really content, and hard to be happy. But I'll admit that how you define security, comfort and happiness plays a huge part in where you're going to come down on this argument.

Security can just be basic access to healthcare, money in the bank in case shit goes down, and some kind of income to meet simple needs. Without that I feel like it's pretty easy to stress. Pretty hard to be content. When you have no money, and bills are coming due, it's hard to tell yourself "if I am content within, then I am happy", and believe it. But all you gotta do to fix that is get a damn job and get the bills paid.

I think I'm just in the toughest part of my transition to some sort of different path, right now. The money I saved up is gone, and it's winter, so I can't just camp and live out of a vehicle and act like I'm on vacation, working seasonal jobs. Things just got real :) So how much I'm willing to work, and what I want out of life and what standard of living I want are very much on my mind, including the prospect of being dirt poor with no safety net (other than family and friends, which is actually a pretty good safety net). I've been going back & forth between knowing everything will be fine, and freaking out a little. And I'm not the type to freak out.

By the way, Thoreau lived within walking distance of town, and went there regularly, as well as having visitors over for dinner parties. He didn't preach against or deny society. He just wanted to be an example to everyone that you could slow down, live simply, and be happier than you were before. That much I already know about life. :)

If I had access to a cabin in the woods, fairly close to town, you can bet your ass I'd be living there, and at least 30% of what I'm currently stressing about would be gone. I don't think he had any mortgage or bills needing paid to disturb his calm.

Anyway, sorry I've made a couple threads "all about me". I'm a little frustrated right now and it's clouding my judgement. But even though it's blinding me to some pretty simple things, it's making it pretty clear to me that talking to people helps me nail down exactly what it is I'm looking for. I think what I'm asking out of life has changed a bit over the course of writing in these two threads, which is eye opening. It's pretty clear I'm still a little confused on what is the end goal, at least in the worldly sense. As the Dude said "my thinking has become very uptight"...or something like that...

• Like 1

Well for me, at least right now, it's part of it. Lack of security makes it hard to be comfortable. If you don't feel safe, either financially or otherwise, it's hard to be really content, and hard to be happy. But I'll admit that how you define security, comfort and happiness plays a huge part in where you're going to come down on this argument.

You're not wrong. I just wouldn't want to say that security necessarily leads to happiness.

By the way, Thoreau lived within walking distance of town, and went there regularly, as well as having visitors over for dinner parties. He didn't preach against or deny society. He just wanted to be an example to everyone that you could slow down, live simply, and be happier than you were before. That much I already know about life. :)

I started reading it and am only half way through, so haven't got to a bit about dinner parties! But yes, I know he wasn't hundreds of miles from civilization.

If I had access to a cabin in the woods, fairly close to town, you can bet your ass I'd be living there, and at least 30% of what I'm currently stressing about would be gone.

werd.gif

You could build one yourself. And once you've got the experience, come build one for me. I can pay you with raindrops and sunshine.

Anyway, sorry I've made a couple threads "all about me". I'm a little frustrated right now and it's clouding my judgement. But even though it's blinding me to some pretty simple things, it's making it pretty clear to me that talking to people helps me nail down exactly what it is I'm looking for. I think what I'm asking out of life has changed a bit over the course of writing in these two threads, which is eye opening. It's pretty clear I'm still a little confused on what is the end goal, at least in the worldly sense. As the Dude said "my thinking has become very uptight"...or something like that...

That's why many of us are here, isn't it? Figuring shit out.

As far as talking to people, though, make sure your family/friends know what you're going through. I know I have a tendency to bottle it in, in person.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I live as simple of a life as you are describing, but more simple than many.

Most of my food is nuts. (I'm allergic to pretty much everything else) If/when I eat out it is Pho ($6 bowl of really filling vietnemese soup).

I take the bus or walk most places. Some years I just bicycle everywhere.

I don't buy myself stuff if I can help it, clothing not very often, just a warehouse sale every few years.

What I do spend the money I make (from my at home job) is my business, so I can offer more types of products and learn more.

I also enjoy attending buddhist or taoist teachings. I hitchiked to and camped in the pouring rain at the last one. Was a lot of fun :). Everyone kept offering me a room to stay in during the teachings as soon as they saw the rain. I do prefer trees more though, and it was only for a short (10 days) period of time.

I always stay in youth hostels when I travel. Costs less, and I find the people are much more interesting there!

My not so smart phone is about 5 years old now. I bought this laptop after the last one finally finished dying its slow and painful death lol.

I did go through a period when I was younger buying fancy clothes, newest electronics, hair cuts and etc. It was fun and all, but was I happier, I would say more ups and downs (positive and negative) compared with more even level of just happy, but not extremely happy. Though I don't feel I'm lacking in, or need more happiness. The change could be due to age too though, and irrelevant of my situation.

I've been there done that on the worrying about making rent and affording food, sure it sucks... but the times in between the worrying each day were still quite awesome, since I only did volunteer work then, didn't have to do a job all day.

I think your unenjoyment of things is the big change, and it hasn't balanced out yet (rent and food covered without much worry) yet.

I have found that happiness and relaxation can come from only having a bowl of rice, when it is a choice, instead of being forced into it. If you sit down and decide yes this is enough and it is how I would like to live, that is way different than just having lost everything and going from having nice sashimi on top of that rice, to plain old rice.

With stress, well either I stressed about making rent/food, but when that was over I stressed about getting my job done within deadlines, or stressed about my relationship, or stressed about a friend in the hospital... I think I just like to stress lololololol

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 4

Security can just be basic access to healthcare, money in the bank in case shit goes down, and some kind of income to meet simple needs. Without that I feel like it's pretty easy to stress. Pretty hard to be content. When you have no money, and bills are coming due, it's hard to tell yourself "if I am content within, then I am happy", and believe it. But all you gotta do to fix that is get a damn job and get the bills paid.

I think I'm just in the toughest part of my transition to some sort of different path, right now. The money I saved up is gone, and it's winter, so I can't just camp and live out of a vehicle and act like I'm on vacation, working seasonal jobs. Things just got real :) So how much I'm willing to work, and what I want out of life and what standard of living I want are very much on my mind, including the prospect of being dirt poor with no safety net (other than family and friends, which is actually a pretty good safety net). I've been going back & forth between knowing everything will be fine, and freaking out a little. And I'm not the type to freak out.

If I had access to a cabin in the woods, fairly close to town, you can bet your ass I'd be living there, and at least 30% of what I'm currently stressing about would be gone. I don't think he had any mortgage or bills needing paid to disturb his calm.

Hey no problem with threads about you, how else can you ask these questions ;). If we didn't like them, we would just ignore them...

I'm not living a simple life, not even close.

Lots of responsibilities, people who depend on me, busy job, etc...

Nevertheless, it is possible to simplify my life without changing any of that - it's all a matter of perspective and attitude.

Stress has little to do with how complicated life is, stress is related to our resistance to life.

Think about being involved in an extraordinarily complex and demanding task that you absolutely love doing and are completely engaged with - there is no stress, time flies, and it's so simple, it basically does it itself.

Now think of being forced to do something very simply and repetitive that you absolutely despise, something that seems pointless and a complete waste of time. A minute seems like an hour and the stress is enormous.

What most people think of as security is an illusion, it simply doesn't exist.

Any of us could drop dead, stroke out, get hit by a bus... at any time.

The richest folks are often the most frightened of loss.

On the other hand, there are many people who don't know where their next meal is coming from and they're completely happy and simply aren't worried about it.

When people have what they think they need to feel secure, something else invariably becomes a problem.

That's because you already, always have everything you need to be completely happy and secure and nothing outside of yourself can substitute for that. Security and stability do not come from outside - only from inside.

The only real security is finding a way to be OK with anything and everything that could possibly happen.

It seems impossible but it's not.

• Like 4

You're not wrong. I just wouldn't want to say that security necessarily leads to happiness.

Agreed

I started reading it and am only half way through, so haven't got to a bit about dinner parties! But yes, I know he wasn't hundreds of miles from civilization.

Not positive they're in the book. It's something I read somewhere else, but it's been a while since I read the book so it could be in there. Oh they're scandalous! Just kidding. I think he just had a few friends over for some wild picked berries and stuff like that.

werd.gif

You could build one yourself. And once you've got the experience, come build one for me. I can pay you with raindrops and sunshine.

Yes but the LAND. The land, man. That's the issue. Though I agree otherwise. I'm not ready to become a squatter and build myself a hut on Forest Service land.

That's why many of us are here, isn't it? Figuring shit out.

As far as talking to people, though, make sure your family/friends know what you're going through. I know I have a tendency to bottle it in, in person.

Yeah, they do. I'm living with family now, and my friends have been getting some comical emails. I know it'll all be alright. I'm sleeping fine at night, and I'm happy. I just have a lot going on in my head, probably mostly because I'm overcomplicating things. I honestly didn't think it was as big a deal until I started ranting about it in these threads...apparently it's been bothering me!

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I live as simple of a life as you are describing, but more simple than many.

Most of my food is nuts. (I'm allergic to pretty much everything else) If/when I eat out it is Pho ($6 bowl of really filling vietnemese soup).

I take the bus or walk most places. Some years I just bicycle everywhere.

I don't buy myself stuff if I can help it, clothing not very often, just a warehouse sale every few years.

Yeah, you're doing better than me, that's for sure. Better than anyone I'm friends with.

I always stay in youth hostels when I travel. Costs less, and I find the people are much more interesting there!

Absolutely. The plane ticket usually is (and should be) the most expensive part of the trip. Not because I agree with the cost of air travel, but because it's so damn expensive, it better be the largest cost!

I'll have to check into this whole "astral travel" I keep hearing about :)

With stress, well either I stressed about making rent/food, but when that was over I stressed about getting my job done within deadlines, or stressed about my relationship, or stressed about a friend in the hospital... I think I just like to stress lololololol

Yeah I hear you. I know a person who stresses is a person who stresses. I'm usually pretty good. I don't stress much. But I haven't made this major of a life change in quite some time. Unchartered waters, for me. But tons of other people have been this route before, so there's plenty of advice and help. It's really just been in the last week that I let it get to me.

I'm not living a simple life, not even close.

Lots of responsibilities, people who depend on me, busy job, etc...

Nevertheless, it is possible to simplify my life without changing any of that - it's all a matter of perspective and attitude.

Stress has little to do with how complicated life is, stress is related to our resistance to life.

Good point, on the resistance thing. I know it's all about attitude and that usually takes care of it for me. But knowing something and your body and mind living it aren't always the same thing, right?

What most people think of as security is an illusion, it simply doesn't exist.

Any of us could drop dead, stroke out, get hit by a bus... at any time.

The richest folks are often the most frightened of loss.

On the other hand, there are many people who don't know where their next meal is coming from and they're completely happy and simply aren't worried about it.

I agree security is an illusion. That's the reason I quit my job. Death could happen any time, so what the hell was I doing there?

However I still haven't been presented with one of these people who don't know where their next meal is coming from, and are happy and worry-free. :) But their absence in my life or on this site doesn't mean they don't exist, I know.

When people have what they think they need to feel secure, something else invariably becomes a problem.

That's because you already, always have everything you need to be completely happy and secure and nothing outside of yourself can substitute for that. Security and stability do not come from outside - only from inside.

The only real security is finding a way to be OK with anything and everything that could possibly happen.

It seems impossible but it's not.

Yes, I agree.

But I think we can also agree that when some sort of life change happens, a person can be expected to freak out a little, even if they are aware of all these things.

I don't look at a simple, happy life as one devoid of responsibility. Only one devoid of unnecessary complication.

Edited by i am

But knowing something and your body and mind living it aren't always the same thing, right?

Perhaps that is the difference between knowing and believing. If you really know, beyond question, then how could you not live it? Belief, on the other hand, is much less solid.

However I still haven't been presented with one of these people who don't know where their next meal is coming from, and are happy and worry-free. :)

I've met a few - pretty inspiring.

But I think we can also agree that when some sort of life change happens, a person can be expected to freak out a little, even if they are aware of all these things.

No question, it takes more than awareness for it to really manifest in your life.

It takes enormous dedication and continuous practice.

I don't look at a simple, happy life as one devoid of responsibility. Only one devoid of unnecessary complication.

I think that is an excellent objective.

Yep. And let me make clear that I don't want to drop out of society and live in the wilderness. Well...not really. :) What spawned this thread was that I laid out an example of "success" in life, in my opinion, and it got nicely criticized as not being true to spiritual nature (somewhat rightly so), and still too materialistic. And in that thread, there are all sorts of people with jobs and "security" talking about how security is an illusion and being happy with basically nothing, and continuously using the example of some person not knowing where their next meal is coming from yet being happy and without worry.

So this was kind of my "show me" thread. Is someone doing this? Or is it just some idealistic construct of what people believe is possible and like to talk about from the safety of their security, but no one is putting into practice. They just like to tell you that it should be your goal.

I'm exaggerating a bit but that's the feeling I was getting. So I was just asking if anyone here is, or knows someone who is actually living this life, happily. Steve says he's met some people.

I don't want to renounce society. I don't plan on living a ascetic life. I'm just curious if anyone who likes to talk about it as advice, actually does it.

Personally, I'm so much happier working "light" manual labor than I am an office job. It's just that unless you're a tradesman, the labor doesn't pay well. But does my preference for light labor over office work mean I have issues? I'm just happier doing labor. I can be happy in an office, but it takes a lot of work. Yes, yes, that's an opportunity to work on myself.

But I'd rather just do labor. I've been taught that preferences are fine, so long as you don't define yourself by your preferences, or as long as your preferences aren't unhealthy.

I wonder how many people on this site who are saying that you should be happy with whatever you're doing, actually put this into practice. Yeah, I'll bet a few do, and a few more are consciously trying. The rest just like to talk about it, and have made MANY life changes for the sake of happiness, and probably a lot of those changes worked out for them, for the better.

I don't think that all the people you talk to who made a major life change and will talk about it for the rest of their lives, about how it was such a great decision, the best thing they ever did for themselves, are all spiritual infants who don't understand life.

We've just moved from the self-sufficient 'dream'.

Smallholding in the countryside all our own veg and eggs plus milk when we had goats.

Tiny carbon footprint

That was darned hard seven days a week work and far from simple.

Land and livestock are very demanding of time and sweat.

We're too old to manage the work now so we sold up and retired to a seaside cottage.

Simplicity is possibly easier in an urban environment where all services are on hand and you don't have chop wood to keep warm or pump water by hand when the electricity goes out.

Anyone with little or no money who hankers after a plain and simple life with lifetime security might consider joining the Hutterites.

Those are good people.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Those are a lot of assumptions you have there!

I did live outdoors, in the forest for a total of 3-4 years of my life :). Once was in a shelter with no walls. The snowy season was pretty cold! The other time was in a camper. Though both times there were hot showers nearby, so cheating a bit.... It perhaps would have sucked, but, waking up each morning to a huge forest all around was pretty awesome.

Worrying about where your next meal is coming from; I think everyone has gone through that for at least awhile in their lives... at least while they were a student if nothing else. I don't think I can eat ramen every again lololol. Then there was that season I ate nothing but blackberries (amazing how it was the best bumper crop for the area in about 20 years :D).

Oh and during most of my life pain as bad as labor pains more hours on than off. So just having to live with your parents for awhile? If that is the worst thing that has ever happened, that's pretty good. No really. A few other TaoBums have ended up with no roof nor hot water for a time.

Money in the bank? I only know one person in person who isn't living paycheque to paycheque (and most of them with maxed out credit cards too).

Also keep in mind, anyone who is online a lot either is retired (low income), has serious health problems preventing them from working, or is in IT or some computer field where they can go online at work.

Your replies are getting a bit offensive actually. Perhaps ending the pitty party would help to bring positive things in ;).

You have them there? We have a bunch of colonies.

I don't think rural life is easy. But it is much more simple. The problems are real life problems. Not "wait, what's html code? Do you know sequel? Crap, we have to hire someone. Now how do I go about making money on the internet?".

I think a lot of people would agree that chopping wood and carrying water, while physically demanding, gives most people much more satisfaction at the end of the day, is much more "simple" than modern life.

Get a job, working for someone else. So you can make money. To pay bills. The bills are for heat, water, food etc.

As opposed to: get wood for heat. get water. grow and hunt food.

Neither are easy. One is simple and for some, a much more satisfying lifestyle. Though harder to sustain into old age, as you point out.

• Like 1

You're one of the very few who is giving advice, who has actually lived it. If this is sounding like a pity part I apologize. I already pointed out I'm talking 1st world problems.

My problems are problems a lot of people would wish to have. I know that.

I realize this has gotten a bit out of hand and maybe I'm not sure what I'm arguing anymore.

What's kept me posting is that I have the feeling that most of the people advising others to live simply and be happy with nothing, are living a life far from that.

I'll stop now.

Except one more to apologize :)

I got a little carried away. People were engaging me on stuff so I started talking too much and lost perspective.

To anyone who has experienced hardship, sorry I've been acting as though my problems are serious. I know they are not. I got caught up feeling that people with security were preaching against security, speaking about discomfort from a place of comfort, and it annoyed me.

If I came off as though I can speak for hardship just because I don't have a job, I'm sorry. That's lame.

If I'm going to offend people by venting my frustrations of insignificant (significant to me, but not to anyone else) problems, I should do it with friends and family and not strangers on the internet.

I've used a couple people, indirectly, as examples of who shouldn't be talking about living simply, and I'm sorry for that.

• Like 1

You're one of the very few who is giving advice, who has actually lived it. If this is sounding like a pity part I apologize. I already pointed out I'm talking 1st world problems.

My problems are problems a lot of people would wish to have. I know that.

I realize this has gotten a bit out of hand and maybe I'm not sure what I'm arguing anymore.

What's kept me posting is that I have the feeling that most of the people advising others to live simply and be happy with nothing, are living a life far from that.

I'll stop now.

I have a feeling that it is more like most are not willing to admit their hardships, especially around a large group of people. We are all trained to at least appear that everything is perfect, we are doing well, we are making lots of money and so forth. I know this for a fact with at least a couple of members...

Except one more to apologize :)

I got a little carried away. People were engaging me on stuff so I started talking too much and lost perspective.

To anyone who has experienced hardship, sorry I've been acting as though my problems are serious. I know they are not. I got caught up feeling that people with security were preaching against security, speaking about discomfort from a place of comfort, and it annoyed me.

If I came off as though I can speak for hardship just because I don't have a job, I'm sorry. That's lame.

If I'm going to offend people by venting my frustrations of insignificant (significant to me, but not to anyone else) problems, I should do it with friends and family and not strangers on the internet.

I've used a couple people, indirectly, as examples of who shouldn't be talking about living simply, and I'm sorry for that.

I have asked around, people who work in the psyche field, and healing field and so on. So I asked what about people who are rich with perfect lives, do they have stress too? Apparently yes, just as much as others, but over different things. Their job mostly, relationships, and little tiny things get to them far more than it does your average person.

Btw, no worries, I wasn't personally offended... but... calm down on the generalizing a bit will ya :).

I hope things turn around to the way you most want, soon! On a side note, times like you are going through now tend to have to happen for MAJOR life changes to occur, we as humans are really bad sometimes at figuring out what we want, making that change needed to get it, and going for it.

Well I'm off for the weekend, yeah no laptop!

• Like 1

It was difficult to frame the question in the original post - it's a wily one

The "simplicity" aspect appears to be heavily involved with compulsions.

If you are not cumpulsed to "do" much from a personal achievement level then a relatively complex life is quite simple. If you are not expecting outcomes in the greater sense then pressure is not created in the "doing" and things remain quite simple.

If you are leading a life that has little income and you are very focused on your recycling routes, who is trying to horn in on them and how you are going to make it to the next appointment with the health clinic then what appears to be a simple life is not so simple.

The "simlple" life does not appear to be a monetary structure. It is a life in which positions are set aside. They can be attended to in voting or in other simple ways but with no impulse to "set things right" as though the universe is not doing an exceptional job at that all by itself.

On a different note, as one awakens and positions subside and inertia drops off - creating a simple life takes on a new meaning of sorts. It has nothing to do with the outer appearance - how your life may look to others - from their oerspective you can still appear to be leading a complicated and not simple life while the opposite might be the case. The process of uncluttering your life of the things you are no longer personalized toward - perhaps your business, causes, projects and a whole assortment of relationships - this presents itself in a very real way.

Society draws and pulls at you to engage but now you can move to it and move away from it. The buildup of engaging life takes time to un engage from even if you are un engaged personally. It takes time to "retire" one life for another, and an interesting thing is that it can look very similar while being radically different.

The cocain of life and the robotics are all still in place - the simple life is a state of mind - orchestrating simplification outside takes time but knowing now and trusting without doubt that all is in perfect balance changes everything. You can be in a constant freefall with no fear - it takes getting used to a bit - for those associated with you it can look like total disarray that is somehow working out alright.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

Changing is good, chasing is not so good. Simplicity is a form of gungfu.

Wait...

What was the question???

• Like 1

Listening to someone talking about the "simple life" with a full bank account is not much different from talking to one with no bank account. Each is suspect in their opining of the "simple life".

Warren Buffet appears to live a simple life in many ways - while his accounts are drenched.

Often we refer to the life of a farmer as a "hard life" yet it is also viewed somewhat part and parcel to the idea of a "simple life".

A life that is not constantly unsettling in which you are engaged in one battle over another and always fighting the clock- these appear to be some of the major elements of "a simple life" and they can be had with or without a bank account.

The "country" fantasy is brutalized by statistics - nearly every sort of personalized abuse is higher - not lower - in the country: alcoholism, drug abuse, child molestation, wife beating, suicide, divorce, incest, general stupidity abound.

You can easily lead a "simple life" in a city or in the country - put the myth to rest.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this