Owledge

How do you prevent a mantra / realization from losing its effect?

I'm not sure it's not even self-defearting to try and do anything about it, but since I experienced a certain effect several times, I want to inquire about its nature.

You know the experience when something new you do, maybe a new realization or any thought has an effect, likely desirable, and even if you do your best to really just let it flow, sink in, you can't help but notice how it gradually turns into just words in your head?

The general experience that something works great when it's new but quickly stops working can be very frustrating. I understand this is very likely due to the mind somehow latching onto it, but apparently that process can be so unconscious that there seems to be nothing you can do about it. It happens, I'd almost say, automatically - whether you do anything or not.

I mean, isn't a mantra supposed to be a realization or wisdom that is to be repeated to sink in? But it seems when I put a fleeting realization into words in order to not lose it, it's doomed to lose its power. I can either totally not care and let a realization slip through my awareness or I can capture and ruin it. There seems to be no way to win. Either you put importance into something or you don't. Either way comes with certain actions or non-actions.

Often I wish I was blessed with active influence from outside, because that would make it easier to really let go. (That's why I enjoy massage a lot.)

It also seems that many people, even of otherwise relatively great enlightenment, might not understand this dilemma. I mean, I had this with Kunlun Nei Gung even. It had some impressive effects at first, and even more so while Max was directly involved, but after that it quickly lost its potency, and then practicing it was self-defeating. The more I practiced, the less it had any impact, thus more and more frustration built up.

Really seems like I'm at a point where I cannot pull these things off on my own, because "on my own" is one root of the problem, but I haven't found any feasible external help in this, and I tried a lot.

And from this position, the probably only solution - a saint-like level of indifference - is not realistically achievable. At least not for more than brief moments, shorter and less often. It can really feel like running out of options, like burning through methods, even if you're not even actively pursuing those methods.

Again, maybe writing these words is a mistake, too, but after all this - you know - I kinda don't care anymore; if it feels like I have the choice of several different mistakes.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

That is pretty much the way most of my practices went until the last year or so. The mind takes ownership of them and then they no longer work, there is a great lesson in that failure which is basically that all this stuff will never go the way that you want it to go, in the end all you can really do is surrender to whatever happens.

Often I wish I was blessed with active influence from outside, because that would make it easier to really let go. (That's why I enjoy massage a lot.)

I really understand that, the mind can manipulate and control things in very subtle and clever ways to try keep control, the good news is that that influence from the outside is available, for example you can get empowered mantras from certain lineages and individuals which bring in the outside influence which the mind can never really own or control. devotional practices could also bring that in possibly, also meditating on avatars.

Edited by Jetsun

I really understand that, the mind can manipulate and control things in very subtle and clever ways to try keep control, the good news is that that influence from the outside is available, for example you can get empowered mantras from certain lineages and individuals which bring in the outside influence which the mind can never really own or control. devotional practices could also bring that in possibly, also meditating on avatars.

All but one of those things are essentially internal.

Also my experience: Many people with great potential are scared of making a crucial difference in other people's lives; scared to cut the bullshit, embrace the beauty of simplicity and just get stuff done. There are various isolationist/individualist 'philosophies' in spiritual circies that cater to this fear. The idea of self-empowerment can be misused for this when it's denying the interdependence of everything. The self-help sector in spirituality can be - as the name suggests, lol - very selfish. It is boosting the egoic, analytical mind. Those doctrines help people to succeed in a selfish world and thus don't lessen the selfishness in the world. And when I see that, it can piss me off, because I see what's happening. ... Sometimes I condemn myself for being such a damn saint and try to be more egoistical myself. Seems I have been living an imbalance; a luxury I couldn't afford, out of the wrong reasons.

Edited by Owledge

This maybe how we can prevent a mantra/realisation from losing its effect....

• Like 1

All but one of those things are essentially internal.

Empowered mantras and meditating on avatars can bring in divinity , which the egoic mind can never dominate. Whether that comes from inside or outside of you depends on how you define the self, it will come from the freedom part of you rather than the part which wants to control and dominate.

Other than that selfless service is probably the best way, but that is going to be a lot more purifying if it is done from the basis of some recognition of selflessness or from the place those that you serve are extensions of yourself.

I thought that mantras has so many effects that you sometimes don't even know the effects of it.

So if that's true, why worry?

When it seems like it becomes mere words, then keep reciting. Be dedicated!

Haha you said after a while, it seems less impressive. Reminds me of what Barney Stinson would say, "New is always better." It's because some people quickly get bored with new things, Once they're tired of it, they want something new.

No, it's not that. It's not about being impressive, but about actually doing anything that can easily be recognized as a process.

Well, what are you aiming for?

Anything helpful. Details aren't important regarding this problem. They'd only confuse.

Edited by Owledge

For me, the two biggest show-stoppers are intellectualization and pride.

• Like 2

This may not apply to you Owledge but for me it´s helpful to make a commitment to a practice and then let go, as best I can, of the results. Of course I always feel when something seems to be working or not. It´s just that I decide to persevere through those times when I´m not aware of progress.

Liminal

• Like 2