YinYang

Li Ching-Yuen

Hello eveyone. I've been reading stuff about taoist and I found an interesting article. But I find this very hard to belive. I mean, if that article is true, how almost no-one knows nothing about it ? And if he got over 200 kids and despite of this large number, how you don't see any of them on other articles or at the TV ? And how about The Record Book where the maximum age was around 120 years ? Why he doesn't exist in The Records Book ? And why did he has over 20 wifes ? Why couldn't he teach the first wife how to live long like him and be both over 250 years old or close to 250 years old ?

What do you think ?

• Like 1

My opinion: don't worry about age too much! It's more important evolving and opening the mind. Being in a human physical body that long, it that were possible, it would be a nightmare...if you are after "not returning" or "merging with the source" then your body becomes a 'nuisance.' You must look after it though until it's time to let impermanence turn it into dust.

I wrote the same thing when his name came up. His story is in one of Daniel Reid's taoist books. He was a real person, an herbalist, he taught some taoist arts but.. his age, as far I know simply can't be reliably determined.

It may be less of a lie then a very old talented man getting a date or two wrong. That's where I'd put my money, for the reasons you mention, ie no 200 or 150 year old kids or 180 year old wife. If its true, it seems it couldn't be taught to his family or students.

Still, one never knows, it'd be interesting if someone knew more facts about him. Daniel Reid mentions other famous Taoists and the reality is some died in there 60's some in there late 90's. While longevity is considered one of the 'fruits' of the taoist path, and I think it does help, but not much more then clean active living.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Hello eveyone. I've been reading stuff about taoist and I found an interesting article. But I find this very hard to belive. I mean, if that article is true, how almost no-one knows nothing about it ? And if he got over 200 kids and despite of this large number, how you don't see any of them on other articles or at the TV ? And how about The Record Book where the maximum age was around 120 years ? Why he doesn't exist in The Records Book ? And why did he has over 20 wifes ? Why couldn't he teach the first wife how to live long like him and be both over 250 years old or close to 250 years old ?

What do you think ?

As has been mentioned, it would be hard to say for certain how old he actually was, but there reportedly is at least some evidence that he lived to a more than usual old age. There are many different practices under the banner of 'Taoism'. Some practices did focus on longevity and even a goal of immortality, although it appears to be generally agreed that there are different types of 'immortality'. The achievement of real longevity could have the benefit of one being able to continue their cultivation practices much longer than someone who lives a more normal lifespan, so there could be a practical advantage to this even from the cultivation perspective. :) Don't think for a moment however that if we allow that someone really can achieve an extended lifespan through certain practices, that it would necessarily either be easy to achieve or easy to teach to others. How many people in this world can truly let go of most or all their attachments whether mental or emotional? There may actually be methods to achieve all sorts of unusual states, but this doesn't necessarily mean at all that many people could ever achieve it even if they know the right method. ;)

Edited by NotVoid
  • Like 1

I'm open mindedly skeptical about things I haven't experienced.

I'm open to the possibility that this could occur, however, to believe this one man's story is tough, given how shoddy the records of births would have been in rural china 270 years ago. So I can't just take him at his word, even given the Chinese Government's claims. They claim many things to bolster their process... But I'm open to it being possible.

I've run across this article a few times (though wiki is useless in my opinion) and it makes me wonder. One thing that makes me feel it's possible is my teacher, who is 82, looks 45 and works 10 hour days healing and teaching while never getting sick, or taking a nap...

How many people in this world can truly let go of most or all their attachments whether mental or emotional? There may actually be methods to achieve all sorts of unusual states, but this doesn't necessarily mean at all that many people could ever achieve it even if they know the right method. ;)

That's a good question. In the West we might assume few. In cultures that have an active monk population the answer might be many! While it depends on the monastery, most often your average monk takes extreme vows and lives an ascetic disciplined life style. Not that they're all taoist monks either, but even in that population I wonder how many there are?

however old he was was he did live 106 years after they celebrated his 150th

there is actually a lot of documentation

• Like 1

however old he was was he did live 106 years after they celebrated his 150th

there is actually a lot of documentation

Thanks for adding that, I didn't notice that bit. That's compelling.

he had twenty wives because it took him till he was 180 years old to find the right girl....

all kidding aside- stories are lovely if you treat them as stories-

chinese people love a good story- and if a guy lives to be really old, expect to add at least another twenty years on top of it to improve the taste of the story a bit.