Brian

Handedness?

Handedness?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself to be left-handed, right-handed, or ambidexterous?

• Left-Handed
    • Right-Handed
    • Ambidexerous

I'm a right hander, and work with my hands as a woodworker/fabricator.

I was consulting a TCM Herbalist about 15 years ago who suggested that I start using my left hand more in my daily life to help balance my liver energy. I can't tell if it helped balance my liver energy or not, but I certainly have appreciated the benefit and challenge of that process.

edit: I picked up some baoding balls for this work and those have been amazing. My right elbow and wrist have less flexibility than my left since my right hand is used for more of the force work while the left, stabilizes the piece I'm working on. I've noticed much improvement in my right elbow rotation and wrist flexibility.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 4

I chose ambi because about the only thing I don't do left handed is write / draw... I suggest a fourth category, something like "all screwed up because forced to learn to write with the right hand when young"

• Like 4

Oh yeah, got my first guitar when I was 13. played it intuitively for a few months before going for my first lessons. If had had a good teacher, he would have told my parents that I needed a lefty guitar. But I had a musty old crusty curmudgeon of a teacher and he forced me to turn my guitar over and hold it right-handed. I had been playing it with the bass strings on the bottom, like Dick Dale, baby.

It's because of that move that I never progressed. And can't play lefty today.

• Like 4

mum & dad were lefties, so's the wife. often feels like i'm a minority. B)

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

I like baoding balls. I also enjoy simple 3 ball juggling. It helps the dexterity. Juggling clears the mind nicely, you can't have too many extraneous thoughts while you juggle. Its kind of a physical activity mantra.

• Like 4

I write and use a fork with the left, but most other things I do righty (chopsticks, throwing, scissors, computer mouse, pool, tennis..)

This has lead me to believe that we don't necessarily favour a side like we're told we do, and that many people choose a preference out of deference to authority (teachers, parents) who themselves were brought up believing that we must be one-sided in life.

I chose ambi because about the only thing I don't do left handed is write / draw...

Pretty much the same for me.

I hold woks with my right hand though, ladle or spatula in my left.

Fry pans, well, both hands are ok. Flipping pancakes i would use the right.

All flippin' else, left. :D

Lately im learning one-handed push-ups with the right to get some balance.

The left arm used to look a bit bigger than the right, now its almost evenly matched.

Im thinking the left has shrunk a bit. ^_^

Which leg do you guys use to kick a ball eh?

Both can do? Is there a term for the ability to use both legs evenly?

• Like 1

While I use both hands interchangeably for many things, I favor the right.

BaguakicksAss clarified any doubts I had with "which foot do you favor in kicking a ball".

I use my feet often like my hands for picking up things off the floor and opening things like a dropped sock or underwear that needs to go in the hamper or the toilet needs flushing. Even in this I tend to balance on my left foot and use my right for whatever manipulation I'm doing.

Edited by Spotless

I adopted one philosophy of Wing Chun that relates to this and that is when I practice any form, I do my weak side twice for every rep I do on my dominant side once.

• Like 1

Pretty much the same for me.

I hold woks with my right hand though, ladle or spatula in my left.

Fry pans, well, both hands are ok. Flipping pancakes i would use the right.

All flippin' else, left. :D

Lately im learning one-handed push-ups with the right to get some balance.

The left arm used to look a bit bigger than the right, now its almost evenly matched.

Im thinking the left has shrunk a bit. ^_^

Which leg do you guys use to kick a ball eh?

Both can do? Is there a term for the ability to use both legs evenly?

^^^Footedness. The general term (which includes things like eye dominance) is called "laterality."

EDIT: A curious aside -- a study by Johns Hopkins a few years ago showed that college-educated left-handed people pull in 10 to 15% more money than their right-handed counterparts.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

EDIT: A curious aside -- a study by Johns Hopkins a few years ago showed that college-educated left-handed people pull in 10 to 15% more money than their right-handed counterparts.

Thanks, B. Footedness... I was wondering if a word like 'ambifooted' would do. Guess not. :D

I think there's something to that JH study. Of the schoolmates that i still keep in touch with,

it appears that the lefties have done better than the righties.

Ok, hands are important; who knows which of their eyes are dominant?
Very important to note for any budding Archers present ...

Right handed, left eyed.

Ok, hands are important; who knows which of their eyes are dominant?

Very important to note for any budding Archers present ...

Right handed, left eyed.

I am left-dominant.

While I use both hands interchangeably for many things, I favor the right.

BaguakicksAss clarified any doubts I had with "which foot do you favor in kicking a ball".

I use my feet often like my hands for picking up things off the floor and opening things like a dropped sock or underwear that needs to go in the hamper or the toilet needs flushing. Even in this I tend to balance on my left foot and use my right for whatever manipulation I'm doing.

Me too, hotshot! I am just as dexterous with my left foot as my right. Woo-hoo! I can practically toss a tennis ball with those things.

At school, (catholic school that was) they used to strap you if you wrote left handed. Then they changed that to, if you were left handed- but wrote with your right hand, you would get licorice .

I know a guy that is an artists... he is ambidextrous ... but he usually paints ' left hand ' style ... ;)

Internet access to the requested website has been denied based on your user profile and organization's Internet Usage Policy.

User/Machine:

RADACCT-10.1.100.65
IP:
Category:
R Rated
Blocked URL:
http://youtube.com/embed/0QL5EEHM8Zs?version=3

For further options, click here.

To submit this blocked site for review, click here. For assistance, contact your Administrator.
M86 Web Filter provided by M86 Security. Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
  • Like 1

Do you know which is your dominant eye.

In most cases if one is right handed their right eye will be dominant

If they are left handed their left eye will be dominant.

Then their are some who are cross dominant - right handed/left eye dominant or left handed/right eye dominant.

To determine which eye is dominant take a standard piece of white paper cut a tiny hole in the center - hold the paper with both hands arms distance and look through the hole- slowly move the paper towards you - at some point the hole will shift to

your dominant eye.

See if this corresponds to which eye you use to take a picture with a camera or aim a rifle.

I mentioned above that I am left-dominant. Left-handed, left-footed, left-eyed, etc. Apparently, from the results so far on the survey, the only one here...