Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Do Non-Citizens Vote in US Elections?

Without trying too hard to understand the process, I'm amazed that it is even possible for a non-citizen to register as a voter.

• Like 1

Without trying too hard to understand the process, I'm amazed that it is even possible for a non-citizen to register as a voter.

Rather bizarre, isn't it?

Yes, though I suppose we shouldn't be surprised, really. It's not the stupidest thing government has allowed to happen!

As well as using my own vote, I'm quite sure that I could walk into any polling station at the next election (in England), claim to be someone else, and use their vote too. In my experience, ID isn't checked beyond asking for your name and address when you show up. If you knew someone wasn't going to vote, it seems that you could quite easily step in and steal it.

Yes, though I suppose we shouldn't be surprised, really. It's not the stupidest thing government has allowed to happen!

As well as using my own vote, I'm quite sure that I could walk into any polling station at the next election (in England), claim to be someone else, and use their vote too. In my experience, ID isn't checked beyond asking for your name and address when you show up. If you knew someone wasn't going to vote, it seems that you could quite easily step in and steal it.

That's precisely what happens here in the US, too. When nearly have the eligible voters don't vote, it is tempting for some to do exactly what you describe. With early voting, the window of opportunity is stretched and the only way it might be caught is if the legitimate voter later attempts to vote (in those places which are really checking for repeat voting).

Additionally (and this is the point of the research paper), when one needn't demonstrate eligibility to get on the list of registered voters, anyone who bothers to register can vote.

Just this week, a campaign manager for a candidate in North Carolina was caught on tape telling a Brazilian national that it wasn't illegal for him to vote, even after the Brazilian national expressed concern that it might be (which it unquestionably is).

The group called the National Council of La Raza, here in the States, has been providing guidance this election cycle on which voting locations will not check to see whether a voter is eligible.

A few years ago, a national voter advocacy group was caught using taxpayer money to pay people to turn in voter registration forms for other people. That group responded to getting caught by fragmenting into hundreds of smaller groups.

Technically you do not need to be an actual human to vote.

In the US we allow the "corporate" person to purchase votes en masse.

As Mitt Romney stated "corporations are people, no really they are".

Technically you do not need to be an actual human to vote.

In the US we allow the "corporate" person to purchase votes en masse.

As Mitt Romney stated "corporations are people, no really they are".

I think we have a larger percentage of the dead voting... At least in Chicsgo... :)

A few years ago, a national voter advocacy group was caught using taxpayer money to pay people to turn in voter registration forms for other people. That group responded to getting caught by fragmenting into hundreds of smaller groups.

Democracy at work :D

I'll happily take money for my vote, or to vote for someone else. No less than $50,000 though. Man gots to live.

Edited by dustybeijing

Democracy at work :D

I'll happily take money for my vote, or to vote for someone else. No less than $50,000 though. Man gots to live.

No, this wasn't "vote buying" -- this was paying people (with Federal money) to forge voter registrations in the names of unwitting third-parties.

Sign in to follow this