Sign in to follow this  
liminal_luke

Incense

Steve,

Funny you mention those high-end Tibetan incenses and the olfactory rescue service. The Tibetan Medical College one was exactly what I was thinking about getting on the strength of the ORS recommendation. Sure it´s expensive compared to some other incense but still a bargain compared to the top-shelf Japanese stuff.

Also, while I love natural fragrances of all kinds, my sense of smell isn´t really the best. I got some Hinoki cedar incense once (Baiedo I think) that I really liked when I could actually smell it. I had to be right on top of the stick fanning the smoke into my nose.

My understanding is that the Tibetan incenses are less subtle?

Liminal

The Tibetan styles are fairly noticeable - not nearly as subtle and ethereal as the Japanese.

That said, there are subtleties and complexities so that over time you pick up different aspects.

I'm like you, my sense of smell is diminished by chronic sinus issues and asthma.

The Lotus Ground is a bit more subtle than Holy Land and a bit less smoky - both have a lot of similarity.

Even more pronounced and in the same general vein are Samye Monastery Samanthabadra and Highland - I don't like them quite as much but you might. Another strong scent, and a lot cheaper, is Tengboche Ceremony incense.

Bhutanese styles can be even more powerful like Nado Poizokhang.

• Like 2

I got some flak one time for mentioning that i liked Nag Champa. The guy said i was supporting child labour and Sai Baba, whose enterprises are supposedly behind this brand. I wasn't aware of this, and never bothered to even find out if it was true. Have tried a wide variety of incense, but still come back to Nag Champa. A lot of friends use this brand as well. We all agree that its pleasant, wont choke the nostrils, and economical.

There are several brands of nag champa, the most famous, the classical, the "blue" one is Sai Baba's and yes he was (imo) a fake guru (although he was very famous) and yes he made children work.

I love using incense, for all kinds of purposes -- ritual, clearing the space, instead of or in addition to dry cleaning clothes (see below), and just for fun. I don't overdo it though, a little goes a long way. Here's what I use fairly regularly:

copal, myrrh, camphor -- in a burner that's exactly like the pic CT posted, with a fu dog on top -- unprocessed crystals on charcoal tablets;

sage -- this I collect by a local lake where it grows in abundance, and make into smudge sticks;

spray bottles with assorted combinations of essential oils added to water or rose water (from a local Middle Eastern store), these I hand pick wherever I can find the high quality stuff -- you add a few drops to water, and then just shake it well before spraying into the area;

various incense sticks (I'm partial to frankincense);

freshly ground coffee -- this I use for dry cleaning purposes when the jacket or coat isn't dirty but has been collecting the dust of time over the summer -- you put the coffee on the bottom of a plastic bag, insert the garment on a hanger, tie the bag closed over the hanger letting the hook stick out, and hang it to sit like that for a week, then extract, shake out, and air out in the open (or it will smell of coffee) -- works great. Clothes that did go through professional dry cleaning, I smudge afterwards with sage (no bag involved in this, and be careful not to set them on fire if you're going to use this method), then air out.

I think this is a good place to mention that I hate, with a passion, all commercial "fragrances" -- which are invariably based on toxic petrochemicals -- perfumes (with very few exceptions used very sparingly), body lotions, deodorants, hair sprays, aftershaves -- it's endless. People stink up the air relentlessly with these, at a restaurant it can ruin my meal if the lady at the next table has bathed in her expensive petrochemicals before going out and her teenage daughter, in her cheap ones. Clean air act my ass. But I digress.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 6

There are several brands of nag champa, the most famous, the classical, the "blue" one is Sai Baba's and yes he was (imo) a fake guru (although he was very famous) and yes he made children work.

Yeah, i have come to know this by now, but you know something... i am still using it. In addition to the fact that i like the fragrance, each time i light one, it brings me in touch with children that are abused and taken advantage of in parts of the world, and thru this connection, i send them good thoughts that they will find peace and freedom in their hearts, and that someday, hopefully soon, their circumstances will improve.

If we are mindful of everything we think and do, then all our thoughts and actions can be a bodhicitta dedication. :)

Yeah, i have come to know this by now, but you know something... i am still using it. In addition to the fact that i like the fragrance, each time i light one, it brings me in touch with children that are abused and taken advantage of in parts of the world, and thru this connection, i send them good thoughts that they will find peace and freedom in their hearts, and that someday, hopefully soon, their circumstances will improve.

If we are mindful of everything we think and do, then all our thoughts and actions can be a bodhicitta dedication. :)

I absolutely disagree with you but that's of little importance... and you know what ? I burnt one this morning :lol::rolleyes: ... why ? I have bought 1 big box before I came to know it. Will I buy it again ? NEVER.

Saï baba's incense is not the less toxic nag champa btw.

People stink up the air relentlessly with these, at a restaurant it can ruin my meal if the lady at the next table has bathed in her expensive petrochemicals before going out and her teenage daughter, in her cheap ones. Clean air act my ass. But I digress.

I used to enjoy going to wine tastings, not so much lately - it would always burn me when folks would attend wearing a thick stink of cologne or perfume... to a place where folks are trying to indulge in the subtleties of complex aromas. Unbelievable.

• Like 2

I completely agree that there are a lot of people stinking up the air. I would much rather smell someone's BO than their stinky chemical perfume. And it's always disappointing when I wash my hands in a new bathroom and only realize too late the smell that's in the soap...

I worked with too many women who could be tracked, room to room, by the smell they'd leave behind them. Probably due to where I lived, and the kind of work I did, it was pretty rare for men to be wearing anything. Most women didn't either. But they ones who did...boy that's annoying. Every now and then I'll find myself in a restaurant or some other public place and some guy or girl will walk in and yes, they totally ruin the atmosphere with their smell.

• Like 4

I would much rather smell someone's BO than their stinky chemical perfume.

As bad as overpowering scents can be sometimes, not I. BO is pretty terrible.

• Like 1

As bad as overpowering scents can be sometimes, not I. BO is pretty terrible.

I agree. (insert pinching-nose emoticon)

• Like 1

If you are wondering how to use resin incense, this video pretty much explains the process. Resin incense is great as it's the raw material extracted directly from the plant. Stick incense is good too, especially if the material (herbs, resins and binders) are quality. Perfumed incense is rather cheap and to be honest with you, I have doubts about the effect they produce, if any at all.

If you want to read more about incense and in general which ones are used for what purpose, then check out this article detailing some of this;

Incense Usage

Edited by FieryWind
  • Like 2

The problem with perfumes and colognes is that they are all fake scents these days, even the well known, and quite expensive ones.

More and more places are scent free zones now due to many people allergic to the new crap they are making these products with.

AHAH isn't BO (of a clean person) the very essence of someone ? For what I know we choose partner through odor. What would be sex without the smell ? As society we try to hide everything that makes us ourselves.

Yup nobody is supposed to have affinities with everyone but isn't it better to know you can't smell someone ? ^^

"smell" has very negative connotation in English, do you have any explanation ?

We going OT I know but that's very interesting...

AHAH isn't BO (of a clean person) the very essence of someone ? For what I know we choose partner through odor. What would be sex without the smell ? As society we try to hide everything that makes us ourselves.

Yup nobody is supposed to have affinities with everyone but isn't it better to know you can't smell someone ? ^^

"smell" has very negative connotation in English, do you have any explanation ?

We going OT I know but that's very interesting...

There is a marked difference between clean, natural BO and BO from those who think they are being au naturel when they go for days without attending to personal hygiene and expect others to accept their indifference.

I know its good to be true to oneself, but at the same time, we cannot impose this on others in an offensive, arrogant manner. Surely we can have preferences, but not to the point of being loud, i think. There is such a thing as amiability that plays a role in human interactions.

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

There is a marked difference between clean, natural BO and BO from those who think they are being au naturel when they go for days without attending to personal hygiene and expect others to accept their indifference.

I know its good to be true to oneself, but at the same time, we cannot impose this on others in an offensive, arrogant manner. Surely we can have preferences, but not to the point of being loud, i think. There is such a thing as amiability that plays a role in human interactions.

It mainly a cultural point a view. If you would have grew up 200 years ago in a farm (or maybe today in an average Senegalese family) you'd have no problem with human odors at all.

If we place the debate in present western society you'll disturb most people because they can smell your fragrance. Human skin is actually much better without being soaped everyday. I think water everyday is fine (but not sure lol).

But most of what you talk is convention and it's full of meanings.

I generally (lazily) follow conventions 'cause (or when) it's petty... but I keep questioning the norm.

It mainly a cultural point a view. If you would have grew up 200 years ago in a farm (or maybe today in an average Senegalese family) you'd have no problem with human odors at all.

If we place the debate in present western society you'll disturb most people because they can smell your fragrance. Human skin is actually much better without being soaped everyday. I think water everyday is fine (but not sure lol).

But most of what you talk is convention and it's full of meanings.

I generally (lazily) follow conventions 'cause (or when) it's petty... but I keep questioning the norm.

As it stands now, i think the norm is a good yardstick to go by.

There's really no usefulness in speculating about what happened 200 years ago, is there?

We are hopefully talking about sensibilities here - its neither petty nor gross to pay attention to personal hygiene.

Doing enough, without neglect nor going overboard with daily cleaning habits. Such a practice is reasonable,

given that we are interacting with society. If not, one can do what they like, but you'd be surprised how many

sadhus along the Ganges river take delight in cleaning themselves as part of their worship routine.

As it stands now, i think the norm is a good yardstick to go by.

Your opinion, I respect that.

There's really no usefulness in speculating about what happened 200 years ago, is there?

I'm not speculating. I know many kind of people (almost some past people !)

We are hopefully talking about sensibilities here- its neither petty nor gross to pay attention to personal hygiene.

I disagree, already explained why. It's very funny I don't want to put so much effort in explaining why but it's like your in more in touch with both physical and spiritual world than me/tolerance vs intolerance. Get it who can...

You'd be surprised how many sadhus along the Ganges river take delight in cleaning themselves as part of their worship routine.

I spent a week in Varanasi, so no I wouldn't.

If your questioning it I wash myself when I feel dirty, almost everyday...

Have a very nice Sunday CiTy Zen :)

Have a very nice Sunday CiTy Zen :)

Thank you v much! Best wishes, hope you have a lovely Sunday too.

Rain, sunshine and rainbows here. Not bad at all. :)

• Like 1

200 years ago you sometimes had to wear something over your nose to even be able to stand walking through a highly populated area, the smell was so bad.

I agree about the BO. I'm talking about people who shower every two or three days at least, and don't have some sort of "condition".

The problem with perfumes and colognes is that they are all fake scents these days, even the well known, and quite expensive ones.

More and more places are scent free zones now due to many people allergic to the new crap they are making these products with.

I started out detoxing what I ate... after feeling the difference, I walked into the bathroom one day and went to grab whatever ridiculous body soap I was using and promptly threw that, my toxic shampoo, my ridiculous tooth paste and my nasty deodorant in the garbage and went out for non toxic alternatives...

It hit me, how many chemicals I was rubbing into my skin on a daily basis... yee-uck.

• Like 5

Hey body odor has never given anyone migraines before, but many chemical scents these days do unfortunately.

Folks who smell from BO, it's because they don't change or wash their clothes. Also most of them don't have a place to live nor shower, so I have more patience for them than someone who douses themselves with lots of chemical perfume or cologne without thinking about others.

More recently a friend was staying with some folks overseas, in Europe, and they could only shower twice per week due to water shortages! I can't imagine how they keep people doing that, folks here don't even follow the lawn watering restrictions...

My teacher has a standing rule and make it well known when scheduling treatments that no one is permitted in the office wearing scents of any kind. He specializes in helping people with 'untreatable' conditions and some of his regular treatments involve people with such severe sensitivity to chemicals that just being in the room after another has been in it wearing such, will cause intense reactions.

My wife just got accosted by some bad incense yesterday walking into a grocery store. They had this 'cinnamon incense' that they had coated on the fake flowers around their entrance... about two steps into the store her eyes got puffy and red, the itching and waterworks started and it was about 4 hours until the reaction subsided completely. ack.

Sign in to follow this