Sign in to follow this  
dust

I'm thinking of becoming a knight-errant

I'm thinking of becoming a knight-errant.

Basically, as I understand it (from my reading thus far of the adventures of el ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha), it's like being a Daoist hermit but with a healthy dose of fighting reprobates, wandering through strange lands, and pledging oneself to beautiful women in corsets.

I'll need a horse, shield/buckler, sword or pike, and possibly armour (though I'm given to understand that, as muskets and cannons have evolved somewhat over the years, armour has been rendered less useful than it used to be), and then I'll be all set to go.

As far as searching out those in need and besting scoundrels in single combat, I'm pretty sure I can learn on the road.

Would anyone like to be my squire?

• Like 1

China seems like a good testing ground. What you need in addition to a squire is an eager cameraperson. Capture all the wide-eyed looks and publish a book then. You'll make millions and have plenty of loose change to buy designer corsets for the ladies in waiting. :P

• Like 4

Be all that you can be.

Just be it without me, thanks.

Art thou sure?

You'd get to ride an ass..?

China seems like a good testing ground. What you need in addition to a squire is an eager cameraperson. Capture all the wide-eyed looks and publish a book then. You'll make millions and have plenty of loose change to buy designer corsets for the ladies in waiting. :P

Verily, though we must rely on second- or third-hand accounts of the adventures of the knights of yore, modern technology affords a great and noble opportunity for future generations to look upon the prowess and bravery of those of us still with chivalry running hot through our veins.

But I'm not sure I can afford a camera and the operator's wage as well as all the other stuff...

• Like 2

A daoist Game of Thrones...

or is this more like Reign...

Game on... :D

Indeed, though of course ye must realise good sir that Game of Thrones is but a fiction, a fantastical reimagining of the true tales of Arthur, Amadis, and other worthy knights-errant of history.

Is Reign any good?

Indeed, though of course ye must realise good sir that Game of Thrones is but a fiction, a fantastical reimagining of the true tales of Arthur, Amadis, and other worthy knights-errant of history.

Is Reign any good?

It is all but a fiction... any good? fiction... again... true tales... fiction again..

worthy knights-errant of history...

Ready... Go :)

I'm interested to hear more ;)

I'm curious how your daily food acquisition and such will transpire? There was no mention of goodly smithing, or other tradesskills in your description ;).

• Like 1

I'm interested to hear more ;)

I shall write often of my adventures, and if it happens that I find a cameraperson worthy of my company, and willing to work for wisdom, and the promise of a lordship, I shall become a phenomenon on this phenomenon they call You Tube.

I'm curious how your daily food acquisition and such will transpire? There was no mention of goodly smithing, or other tradesskills in your description ;).

True knights-errant have little need for the meats and breads that the common person cannot live without, for our strength comes from the love we hold for our beloved, which is usually succour enough. It is also true that the property of those I vanquish shall be available to plunder, and that on those long journeys through the wilderness that must of necessity transpire, water and herbs will be sufficient to sustain me.

idk if i could accompany you, as i do not know your personal definition of scoundrel

also i don't have much faith in myself for combat situations :lol:

A scoundrel is easily recognised on sight, as anyone who seeks to deny a citizen their freedom or happiness, either physical or mental.

A squire has little need at first for fighting -- as a person of lower rank, thou should not be expected to join the fray apart from those instances where I am set upon by base-born hooligans unworthy of my attention, who shall be easy enough for one such as thyself to pummel into submission.

• Like 2

Cameraman ? No ... what you need is a travelling companion speed etcher;

621-20107.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

My Brother-in -law is a nut on it! Sis's house covered in pictures of 'The Man' . Do not engage him in conversation about it ! He even goes regularly to http://sidney.cervantes.es/en/default.shtm ... and even got a Knighthood from the (old) King of Spain for his work in promoting Spanish Literature!

He might even join TBs if he heard about this thread :D

(So I wont say nuthin :ph34r: )

Well I feel like I must break character for a moment just to say: wow!

I'm not as far gone as Don Quixote himself, but a knighthood from the King of Spain (or the Queen of England, I guess) would certainly be something to write home about!

It was from Jaun Carlos ... maybe one of his last ones? He got a sash, a medal and a very thin weak looking sword :) ... and a fancy certificate of Knighthood signed with a King's flourish.

(Sis tells me he is now enrolled in the 'Order of Isabella', the same order that was behind the Spanish Inquisition :wacko: )

But it may be better seeking to emulate 'The Man of La Mancha' ... an awarding of Knighthood from the local barkeep should be sufficient here.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Turns out I'm not very good at riding horses. And most people have cars these days, which are often faster. Maybe a motorbike would do. Need to be able to swing a sword, you see.

I also have yet to find a squire.

• Like 1

I had no idea this thread existed when I registered!  :)

Quite surprisingly, the work became more convenient in our modern western society than in previous centuries:

• Idiots who want to prevent us questing to slay dragons, save the princess, or find the grail are no longer taken seriously.
  • It also far more easier to take care of the horses, their health and life expectancy increased, so it is possible to quest more.
  • The number of maps available has also skyrocketed. They are also way better research available. Therefore getting lost in the quest due to a bad map is less common today than before.
In fact the biggest problem which have risen is the number of distractions, it became easier to forget the quest due to our inattention.

• Like 2

Well, I did save a few princesses in my younger years while on my quests but never had to fight a dragon.  They probably heard I was coming and ran off and hid.

• Like 1

the princesses always think I am the dragon, while I think I am the knight it's a mess

Funny.  I have been viewed that way a few time as well but I never let that get me down.

Sign in to follow this