Sign in to follow this  
euro

How does one become more sensitive?

I've been practicing for about a year now and I'm barely sensitive to qi or anything that comes with it. If I focus really hard I can feel things. I also have a problem with stomach qi stagnation (TCM) which might be impeding in that. I have been pretty ungrounded lately but its something I am working on. Maybe that's what it is? What is 'sensitivity'? How is it achieved? Is it dependent on how open you are or how much qi you have?

I also get sleepy really easily when I meditate and I have difficulty focusing, especially for time frames longer than 20 minutes.

Thank you!

It actually helps to feel qi, if you relax, rather than focus hard. Focusing hard can cause qi deviation...that's the type of thing you don't want to feel (!), and it can be easy to push too far and too hard into that territory due to wanting results and progress. But the way to get results and progress, is to let go of results and progress, and just relax. Then the qi flows smoothly.

Also, different practices will produce different results. Not saying whatever you're doing is bad, but maybe try some different ones.

• Like 4

I also get sleepy really easily when I meditate and I have difficulty focusing, especially for time frames longer than 20 minutes.

You have to stay super alert the whole time. Feeling tired is a good way to know when you aren't alert enough.

• Like 1

It is not open yet.

Walk up to a VERY LARGE TREE... breath about 10 times very, very, very, slow..

Slowly, look up and down the tree... very, very, very slow... smile at the entire exchange...

Raise your arms to waist height on each side of the tree... just breath very, very, very slowly in and out... and let your mind go up up up and disappear to the sky (tian) or down down down and disappear into the earth (di)... Don't try to even think or control it... just disappear...

• Like 4

The obstruction to feeling qi is often a combination of expectation and effort.

What is this qi stuff you are expecting to feel?

How hard are you trying?

One very helpful approach is to begin with simply opening your awareness and attention to how it feels to be in your skin.

What does your body feel like inside?

Standing meditation with open, relaxed attention to the body and breath may help.

Don't have any preconceptions as to what you should feel or how it should happen - just feel what is there inside and rest in that feeling.

Standing is better at first because you're less prone to get drowsy.

good luck

• Like 4

You might give the Tai Chi Ruler practice a try.

It is said to be one of the fastest ways to feel chi,

and that has been my experience.

Good luck!

Edited by cheya
  • Like 1

What are you practicing is a good question, you may resonate with some teachings/methods more than others, and feel more qi with some practices more than others. Thats not uncommon. Having a teacher can be very helpful, especially the right teacher for you. You may also want a teacher to help speed things up and get some stuff moving (if they can do that).

I felt qi in a few months, but I had been meditating long before I started qi gong and was already a sensitive person. But keep practicing, and keep exploring until you find some techniques that make you feel 'good'. Then you know you are hitting upon something that works well with you.

Sensitivity is not dependent on how much chi you have. You can have barely any qi and be sensitive to a lot more than people with lots of energy and there are an infinite number of things/layers to be sensitive too. Its more a state of your sensory systems on all your levels.

(Edit, as Steve said really well) a good way to refine your sensitivity is to feel and listen intently to what you actually feel, and not what you think you are supposed to feel or how others have described something. Also practice feeling the outer limits of what you can feel, the most refined subtle edge of what you are feeling. If you practice this regularly your sensitivity will grow because you are now paying attention, and you are now opening your awareness to what your bodies are probably already feeling. Also as you seek to feel more subtle things, your bodies will attempt to meet that demand you are now asking of it. Its almost like a muscle.

Try to get grounded at the same time if seeking sensitivity. Sensitivity without grounding is not fun.

Regarding force, you don't want to be unfocused when doing qigong (ie barely even doing the practice properly) but as mentioned above, you want to be completely relaxed and almost effortless so the qi can move and your mind doesn't block it.

Regarding meditation, falling asleep or sleepy with meditation is fine/good. Just means you have fatigue in your system and its coming out. I prescribe to the area of meditation that has nothing to do with force/concentration etc but that is another topic altogether.

Edited by somatech
  • Like 2

Somatech,

Too bad there's not a double or triple like button!

Great advice, especially about paying special attention to the most subtle sensations, which often then slowly blossom into major discoveries.

• Like 2

When I was tired during meditation I was told to get more sleep :).

Part of the work is keeping a quiet mind. Not just during meditation but during the day watching your thoughts and letting them settle. Not feeding them. That tends to be grounding (also long walks, exercise, simple sitting-all good) and help with sensitivity. Quieting the mind is the aspirin of meditative practice.

I've done the microcosmic orbit and that takes a lot of focus but I hit a wall where I can't focus anymore after about 20 minutes. I dive right on into it. I've also tried just sitting there. I've done some chakra stuff (focusing on them and feeling a feeling that is associated with a particular one.) I don't really do any moving meditation. I've done some standing meditations and a similar thing would happen. Maybe I'm too 'there' and not 'aware' XP I do tend to focus on this feeling I associate with qi (everything moving up) and that's how I think its a good session. I don't really focus my awareness as much as I should so that could probably be it.

I do have a desk job where I sit all day. Excess sitting? I like to exercise but I really don't do anywhere near as much as I should (I'd say once or twice a week going for a run, stretching 5-10 minutes a day at work), since I get home and I'm tired. I wake up, and I'm tired.

somatech thank you! I'll try that! I don't focus on my entire body usually. I guess I should just 'feel'. ]

What is the Taoist Ruler?

I feel like I'm trying hard but I just can't go very far. There's only so hard I can try before it stops and I can try any harder, like a dog running on a rope and the rope keeping him from running as far as he'd like.

Edited by euro

As has been said already: dont push. Its easy to get frustrated or disillusioned, but remember that youre still sharpening your senses. How often do you practice? Too much practice can hinder, especially if you're in a phase of hitting walls.

Doing something different but related could be a boost, the tai chi ruler sounds like fun!

I can also highly recommend "walking meditation" or "mindful walking" as some call it, its really all about just trying to walk as slowly as humanly immaginable and then some. A good measure for the first time is five meters should take at least five minutes to walk, but 10 is better.

All the while breathe deep in your abdomen (natural or reverse, as long as its relaxed and unforced), notice your muscles, bones, tendons, blood, heartbeat etc.

Being relaxed and using as little effort as possible are key in this. You'll be zig zagging a little bit from shifting your weight, this is good. Walk across a room back and forth once to begin with, keep your eyes looking at the opposite wall. Walk more if you feel like it. Watch out though, time really flies when you get in the zone with this.

No fancy moves or weapons involved sorry, but its a nice practice that helps with sensitivity.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 1

every person has a different physiology - and no two people experience exactly the same results from meditation.

Laozi said

虛其心,實其腹,弱其志,強其骨

quiet the heart

fill the belly

soften the resolve

make the bones strong

the first step is really the most important one.

whatever activity you undertake, you should try to use the meditative mind to assist you in some way.

Keep the focus soft and general - you could tiring yourself out with all that emotional effort.

Have you ever practiced Baguazhang or Chen style taiji?

either of those are very vigerous internal arts which could help you get your body and mind ready before you sit for long periods of time.

sometimes i'll cut a meditation short if I feel like I need to sleep.

just get my mind back down to my dantian, from wherever it is, go to a comfortable place, and have a nap.

Meditation is all about letting the body tell you what it needs you to know. ^_^

• Like 1

Yes, meditation is all about letting the body do whatever it needs to do internally too.

....and it does well. :)

Edited by ChiDragon

I've been practicing for about a year now and I'm barely sensitive to qi or anything that comes with it. If I focus really hard I can feel things. I also have a problem with stomach qi stagnation (TCM) which might be impeding in that. I have been pretty ungrounded lately but its something I am working on. Maybe that's what it is? What is 'sensitivity'? How is it achieved? Is it dependent on how open you are or how much qi you have?

Thank you!

Sensitivity to chi runs from 0-100; everyone is different. That said, efficiency of qigong practice makes a huge difference.

If you want to try the highly efficient Gift of the Tao movements - the majority that practice it feel qi immediately - if you will agree to practice 20 min per day for 30 days I will send you a Gift of the Tao I DVD. If at the end of those 30 days if you haven't SIGNIFICANTLY enhanced your qi sensitivity then quit practicing and use the DVD as a coaster for good beer (please do not use bad beer). If you feel it has significantly enhanced your sensitivity then you can pay me for the DVD.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 5

Hi euro

It sounds like you are trying to do this by yourself. this is not a good idea, especially with practices like the orbits. There are particular things you need to take note of to do this properly, and if you don't, you are either going to get nowhere or get yourself into some trouble.

Keep in mind that your better off training less and correctly. You'll get further than training more and incorrectly. I suggest getting a teacher. If after a year you cant feel it I would suggest you technique is not correct. There is more to it than just visualizing.

• Like 2

Hmm. I've always felt Qi, but I had a sudden increase in sensitivity a few years before I started internal arts... I feel this is due to openness rather than having strong vital energy. That said, I think developing greater sensitivity has to do with developing greater relaxation. Most people are so crazy tense that it takes years just to relax! Learn to surrender yourself to the flow of the universe :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this