Unseen_Abilities

Jeet Kune Do

I'm having a hardcore epiphany right now - I've never had an epiphany like this about my training before. Jeet Kune Do is the right style for me...I've come through schools and loved their arts but this is something quite profound - I may have been connected to Master Lee in a past life, because this feels like coming home (for real). I was just out on the Muk Yan Jong (I have a Muk Yan Jong in the shed out the back) and I started realizing The Way of Jeet Kune Do is the art I'm supposed to learn. I wanted to share this profound moment with the Tao Bums.

Love, Unseen_Abilities.

• Like 3

I know exactly how you feel. Back in the late 90's when I when I was looking for a style to study it was the traditional styles that appealed to me the most. Then when I checked out a J.K.D. school for the first time and everything changed. Maybe it was the clothes they wore which was black sweats and pants which gave it a street fight look. Maybe it was seeing kick boxing and muay-thai being used. Whatever it was I knew then and there that my search was over. I can attest it's definitely useful for self-defense.

• Like 1

I know exactly how you feel. Back in the late 90's when I when I was looking for a style to study it was the traditional styles that appealed to me the most. Then when I checked out a J.K.D. school for the first time and everything changed. Maybe it was the clothes they wore which was black sweats and pants which gave it a street fight look. Maybe it was seeing kick boxing and muay-thai being used. Whatever it was I knew then and there that my search was over. I can attest it's definitely useful for self-defense.

Have you come across any schools that teach a hybrid system combining JKD & JiuJitsu?

Its a pretty efficient style - one learns how to be offensive on the ground too.

I have heard the Schmelter brothers up in SoCal teaching this style. Iron Circle i think.

Seen their vids - awesome speed, accuracy and power demo'd.

One of my teachers was an early student of Bruce.

He taught a mixture of Shao Lin Five Animal and JKD.

I had a very similar feeling to the one you describe.

• Like 1

What is special about JKD is that it was conceptualized as an open style (long before there was MMA). More of a philosophy than a style, really. Even though most people who are into it are more or less following in the footsteps of Bruce Lee, you can integrate anything you want into it, basically. In line with Bruce's philosophy: "Absorb what is useful. Discard what is useless. Add what is uniquely your own." I'm trying to apply this philosophy to anything I do.

• Like 6

Have you come across any schools that teach a hybrid system combining JKD & JiuJitsu?

Its a pretty efficient style - one learns how to be offensive on the ground too.

I have heard the Schmelter brothers up in SoCal teaching this style. Iron Circle i think.

C T, there is a fellow Burton Richardson who combines JKD with concepts borrowed from many martial arts (much in the way Bruce exemplified), especially with wrestling arts, including Jiu Jitsu.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

How to , "Absorb what is useful. Discard what is useless. Add what is uniquely your own" in a knife 'defense'.

What is special about JKD is that it was conceptualized as an open style (long before there was MMA). More of a philosophy than a style, really. Even though most people who are into it are more or less following in the footsteps of Bruce Lee, you can integrate anything you want into it, basically. In line with Bruce's philosophy: "Absorb what is useful. Discard what is useless. Add what is uniquely your own." I'm trying to apply this philosophy to anything I do.

Exactly...I did have a profound moment of deep resonance yesterday, but as well as that the philosophy is perfect for me with the other art and music I create (which includes neo-pantheistic chaos faith). Perfect. Edited by Unseen_Abilities

To CT- When I was doing it they did have grappling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu and even some grappling using Kali-Escrima sticks. At that time you had to be at level 2 to do any of the grappling. From my resrarch it's not like that anymore. They offer grappling at the entry level now. When my financial situation changes I'm definitely going to train in J.K.D. again although it will be a different school.

• Like 2

I'm having a hardcore epiphany right now - I've never had an epiphany like this about my training before. Jeet Kune Do is the right style for me...I've come through schools and loved their arts but this is something quite profound - I may have been connected to Master Lee in a past life, because this feels like coming home (for real). I was just out on the Muk Yan Jong (I have a Muk Yan Jong in the shed out the back) and I started realizing The Way of Jeet Kune Do is the art I'm supposed to learn. I wanted to share this profound moment with the Tao Bums.

Love, Unseen_Abilities.

Hi UA, I have had the same feeling also. I have studied JKD and still practice parts of it on and off over the last 14 years. The philosophy of Bruce is something that I try and put into practice everyday of my life...

Hi CT, There are many different Jun Fan JKD/JKD systems out there. I studied JKD under a Shifu in Melbourne, who learnt JKD from Paul Vunak in the states under the PFS JKD umbrella, who learnt from Dan Inosanto, who learnt directly from Bruce.

This JKD I was taught is what Bruce was up to before he passed away. So, it has many martial arts combined into it. To name a few in the four fighting ranges are; Trapping range: Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Kali/Escrima, Punching Range: Western Boxing, Karate, Fencing, Kicking range: Savate, Tae Kwon Do, Grappling range: Judo and Brazilian Gracie Jiu Jitsu and others.

Edited by Formless Tao
  • Like 2

Hi UA, I have had the same feeling also. I have studied JKD and still practice parts of it on and off over the last 14 years. The philosophy of Bruce is something that I try and put into practice everyday of my life...

Hi CT, There are many different Jun Fan JKD/JKD systems out there. I studied JKD under a Shifu in Melbourne, who learnt JKD from Paul Vunak in the states under the PFS JKD umbrella, who learnt from Dan Inosanto, who learnt directly from Bruce.

This JKD I was taught is what Bruce was up to before he passed away. So, it has many martial arts combined into it. To name a few in the four fighting ranges are; Trapping range: Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Kali/Escrima, Punching Range: Western Boxing, Karate, Fencing, Kicking range: Savate, Tae Kwon Do, Grappling range: Judo and Brazilian Gracie Jiu Jitsu and others.

I forgot to mention out of all the martial arts I have studied and I have studied many, JKD to me is the most realistic, efficient and effective martial art to use in a street fight.

Also check out Israeli Krav Maga which has many similarities to JKD :)

Edited by Formless Tao
  • Like 1

I think jkd is good if you can actually generate a force. It seems like some people just keep learning more techniques to counter the fact that their force generation is poor. This just comes from the "jack of all trades, master of none" thing. Example: Someone came to our wing chun school with over 20 years jkd experience and they couldn't even use their fancy techniques cos they just kept bouncing off.

Imo the mix stuff is only good for the ring or until you get really good at wing chun. To put it simply, if your internal force generation is good then you just punch someone and they drop. They can't stop it and they can't stand after taking it.

BD, I agree with you partially. JKD, MMA is great for the ring or real life street situations and yes force generation is important mixed with other key attributes.

You stated that 'the JKD man couldnt use his fancy technique'. Thats funny because JKD does not have fancy techniques, as Bruce was totally against anything that didn't work.

I also studied at William Cheungs Wing Chun in Melbourne who was a student of Yip Man and who also sparred and trained with Bruce in Hong Kong.

I have seen both sides of the coin and honestly, there is too much politics between the Wing Chun and JKD schools.

FT

quote name="Bearded Dragon" post="588482" timestamp="1414379278"]I think jkd is good if you can actually generate a force. It seems like some people just keep learning more techniques to counter the fact that their force generation is poor. This just comes from the "jack of all trades, master of none" thing. Example: Someone came to our wing chun school with over 20 years jkd experience and they couldn't even use their fancy techniques cos they just kept bouncing off.

Imo the mix stuff is only good for the ring or until you get really good at wing chun. To put it simply, if your internal force generation is good then you just punch someone and they drop. They can't stop it and they can't stand after taking it.

I don't care for the politics. I only know from what I see.

One of my friends was an instructor in William Cheung's lineage and looking back he considers what he did to be complete garbage. Each to their own though. I've met people from that lineage that are OK and could handle themselves against most people.

The techniques I refer to in jkd is the matter of too much crosstraining. More like dabbling in muay thai, wing chun, bjj, etc. There really isn't anything other than having freedom of movement to accelerate your body mass into people. Scratching the surface is not going to cut it in that regard. If people learn internal force generation and apply it in muay thai, bjj, etc then that would be fine. I have not heard of such a jkd school, probably because Bruce Lee didn't have 'it' when he decided to stop learning wing chun.

Haha, BD, I was merely stating a fact regarding the politics in both schools that I have witnessed while training in both :)

How do you know Bruce didn't have 'Internal force generation' when he stopped training Wing Chun?

What do you think the 'One inch punch' is then?

I agree with you that scratching the surface/dabbling in many martial arts will not make a person as complete a fighter as a person that masters only one.

But on the other side of the coin a person that can master more than one martial art will in my opinion be a more complete fighter than a person who only masters one...

I see where your train of thought is coming from but you only need to look at Georges St Pierre in UFC or Bruce himself to see the benefits of mastering more than one martial art as apposed to learning Wing Chun alone :)

Edited by Formless Tao