Sign in to follow this  
nantogph

afterlife!

what do you think happens in the afterlife. do you think people find peace there; what about all the suffering that's going here, on earth; do they feel it. thanx

What afterlife?

You mean death, right?

I don't think you do anything after life except feed the flowers.

But then I could be wrong.

• Like 3

what do you think happens in the afterlife. do you think people find peace there; what about all the suffering that's going here, on earth; do they feel it. thanx

Last night I dreamed that I was having dinner in a restaurant with an old friend. We asked for the bill but before it came I woke up. Did my friend have to pay my share of the bill ?

It is easy to see that the question about my dream is absurd. It is the same with the question "What happens to me after death ?" The question dissolves when it is seen that I am a dreamed character. Then it is seen that there is no `me' who dies; no `after' because time is created only in the dreamed mind; and no `death' because death is simply the awakening from the dream.

The mind cannot imagine its own annihilation. Faced with the appearance of death in the dream, the mind creates stories about its own continued existence after death. All of these stories are like answers to the question "Who pays the restaurant bill of the dreamer who wakes up before the bill arrives ?"

We are all familiar with so many of these stories. Most offer some variation of reward for a life well-lived, (however that is conceived), and punishment for evil doing. They are both seductive and intimidating, alternately promising us spiritual riches and threatening us with dire consequences.

In fact there are billions of these stories because each one is unique to the particular dreamed character who holds it. My version of salvation through the blood of the lamb will be different to yours. Your version of taking rebirth as a god, a human, an animal, a hungry ghost or a demon will be different to that of the Buddhist meditator sitting next to you.

Richard Sylvester

Edited by ThisLife
  • Like 1

We (Spiritualists) go to the Summerland.

Very nice place, good weather and handy for the shops.

It's mainly Spiritualists but anyone's welcome.

Reincarnation's an option.

Right next door to Summerland is a huge walled city with no gates or windows in the walls.

That's where the fundamentalists go.

They like to think they are the only ones who made it to the afterlife

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 7

I don't trust atoms. They make up everything

And yet they are not even solid. For that matter, matter isn't really matter. Not that it matters, anyway.

攻述身退天之道也 Rest when the deed is done: the Way of Heaven

TTC ch.9

髑髏曰:「死無君於上無臣於下,亦無四時之事,從然以天地為春秋,雖南面王樂不能過也。」

The skull said: "In death there's no ruler above, nor a servant below. Also, the four seasons aren't a thing; year by year we flow with Heaven and Earth... even the happiness of the highest king couldn't be better."

http://ctext.org/zhuangzi/perfect-enjoyment

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this