Sign in to follow this  
Bum Grasshopper

Tao for Dummies

I'd thought I'd start another newbie thread since the other one got, well, down a different path.

I have read the Tao Te Ching and the Hua Hu Ching. I am now reading Wayne Dyer's version a verse a day and practicing what he says. When I am through I plan on writing my own thoughts on each verse. I practice Tai Chi Chih that I learned at the YMCA every day. I have started Tai Chi Chuan classes and I am reading the I Ching.

But when I read these posts, I get lost with some of the terminology that you guys throw around. Is there a basic book or web site that would put me up to speed ?

I'd thought I'd start another newbie thread since the other one got, well, down a different path.

I've only been on this site for a little over a month, and I have noticed that the threads have a tendency to go in strange and interesting places (sort of like a room full of unruly toddlers). :lol: But everyone here really wants to be helpful, so if your questions are not being answered just bring everyone back to the point of discussion. :)

V.

I have read the Tao Te Ching and the Hua Hu Ching. I am now reading Wayne Dyer's version a verse a day and practicing what he says. When I am through I plan on writing my own thoughts on each verse. I practice Tai Chi Chih that I learned at the YMCA every day. I have started Tai Chi Chuan classes and I am reading the I Ching.

But when I read these posts, I get lost with some of the terminology that you guys throw around. Is there a basic book or web site that would put me up to speed ?

We're all quite varied here at TB - so any generalization is bound to be inaccurate, but a lot of us practice physical aspects of taoism - namely cultivation... so probably all the confusing lingo is to do with that... It's great you're practicing Tai Chi, you may also want to start a qi gong practice (this is where most of the terminology comes from)...

are you enjoying your journey into Taoism?

Very much so! It is so comforting knowing that you are eternal, just using your body for awhile, then returning to your source. Everything just seems so natural.

But everyone here really wants to be helpful,

At the very least, we believe we are being helpful. We're like a Cracker Jack box full of good intentions - sometimes the prize at the bottom is not what you expect. :D

In some things, you don't need an answer right away. You've served yourself a full plate already.

A glossary can't hurt (links above) if you must have a definition today. But if you stick with it, most of these things will come back around. You'll "get" them when you should.

Above all, have fun.

Peace,

Very much so! It is so comforting knowing that you are eternal, just using your body for awhile, then returning to your source. Everything just seems so natural.

Very nicely put. I feel much the same! One criticism of Daoism and Buddhism that I've encountered is that they are so impersonal. That they lack a "personal relationship" with God or that they lack a concept of God. For me it couldn't be more the opposite. How can I feel closer to "God" than the realization that I am one and the same, that there is no separation other than the illusion arising from our transient time on Earth? How can I have a more personal relationship than with myself/ourself? It certainly is a comforting and natural feeling.

Back to your question, it's not a glossary, but Eva Wong wrote a pretty good overview called Taoism for Shambala publications that can serve as a basic reference covering devotional aspects, cultivation aspects, philosophical aspects, historical aspects... If you're not a book addict ( I am!), you can probably find the majority of the material on any of a number of nice websites devoted to the topic.

I'm realitively new to Taoism myself. I found Alan Watt's The Watercourse Way very helpful. TheTaoBums is a great resource. Just sit back and read all the posts for a few months and you'll learn so many new things.

Sign in to follow this