Sign in to follow this  
Uroboros

Breath- All we really need?

Hello, all!

I have been contemplating how important breath is after my partner told me a story about what happened to her sister who is paralyzed, along with being born with spina bifida.

Her body is curling up on itself and she cannot walk, all the organs are failing, etc. In her families attempts to find a way to help her, an experimental procedure was offered. It used hyperbaric chambers to heal dead nerves. The doctors said that they could heal her paralyzation. She has never walked before, let alone felt any sensation in her legs.

They set the oxygen levels around 30- 50 percent. The dosage was one week out of the month she would go inside the chamber for an hour every day. A total of 7 hours per month.

There were immediate changes overall. Her pains were lessened, her breathing improved, her posture and body was more supple and relaxed. Her retardation lessened. This was just in the first week.

After 3 months, her nervous system started to heal and she could feel her legs and lower abdomen. The problem was that it was excruciatingly painful. Dead nerves were now alive but sending constant pain. The doctors said that it was part of the process and it would pass as she healed more.

The pain was too much and they did not continue the treatment. Eventually, because her nerves did not heal enough, they regressed back to paralyzation.

Another man was a part of the program. He had been in a vegetative state for years. He was aware but could not move his body except blink. After 6 months of treatment, he could walk, talk and was mentally ok.

All this JUST from oxygen?!

If all this can be had from increasing the oxygen we breathe, do we cultivate the same kind of effect through breath work/ pranayama?

If so, why do anything else?

I think this is fascinating!

What do you all think?

• Like 6

Fascinating indeed!!!

Too bad your partner's sister couldn't handle the pain associated with the treatment.

It has been suggested that the reason the dinosaurs grew so large was because of the higher percentage of oxygen in the air at that time and it were catastrophic events that reduced the oxygen in the air as the main cause of their demise.

I smoke. It is a given that this is bad. It reduces the amount of oxygen my lungs are capable of utilizing.

Breathe more and smoke less.

Edit to add:

And I think that this is timely:

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

harmonious gut motion does much more than just enhance o2 uptake

from a while back,

ever seen a bee breathe?

they use their abdomen (but that's just what the structure is called - look at 'em, significant movement with their butt end) to move fluids around, because they have no circulatory system to move those fluids, so it must be done via the mechanations of breath.

someone posted recently about the tcm condition of the kidneys not grasping the qi

these concepts are linked, and not only does harmonious gutmotion in breathing help motivate fluids, it has energetic effects also

aBcjeZ5.jpg

so part of this vibratory signature of the mingmen fire is derived from the waxing and waning of the breath, and heck, I did just mention the crura of the diaphragm elsewhere also, focus there is sure to produce good results here.

• Like 2

Fascinating indeed!!!

Too bad your partner's sister couldn't handle the pain associated with the treatment.

It has been suggested that the reason the dinosaurs grew so large was because of the higher percentage of oxygen in the air at that time and it were catastrophic events that reduced the oxygen in the air as the main cause of their demise.

I smoke. It is a given that this is bad. It reduces the amount of oxygen my lungs are capable of utilizing.

Breathe more and smoke less.

Edit to add:

And I think that this is timely:

Im glad you like it! I keep pondering this and it keeps blowing my mind!

Yes, if she could have withstood it, she probably would have been able to walk for the first time..Even so, it was not worth it to her.

I have heard that theory, MH! My partner and I talked about it recently. Some say that is why there could have been giants in the past, as well. It may also explain why there is a common theme of people living so long, 500 years and up in myth. Maybe, they did.

Heh, my father was a smoker. I got plenty of it from that..I do not need more.

• Like 1

harmonious gut motion does much more than just enhance o2 uptake

from a while back,

ever seen a bee breathe?

they use their abdomen (but that's just what the structure is called - look at 'em, significant movement with their butt end) to move fluids around, because they have no circulatory system to move those fluids, so it must be done via the mechanations of breath.

someone posted recently about the tcm condition of the kidneys not grasping the qi

these concepts are linked, and not only does harmonious gutmotion in breathing help motivate fluids, it has energetic effects also

aBcjeZ5.jpg

so part of this vibratory signature of the mingmen fire is derived from the waxing and waning of the breath, and heck, I did just mention the crura of the diaphragm elsewhere also, focus there is sure to produce good results here.

There definitely is more to breathing then just oxygen, for sure.

There is the spinal fluid movement mechanism, the organ stimulation and then we have the subtle breath, as well.

LOTS to breathing!!

Maybe it is all we need.....

I dont know, yet.

• Like 1

i have heard stories of regular treatments with oxygen chambers curing all sorts of things, long ago - but it was just stories by the time i heard it

interesting to hear some closer hand perspectives

one of the ideas about dolphins (and whales) being so funky is that they are mammals with bodies built for supreme breath control

dolphin-universe-9943.jpg

• Like 1

i have heard stories of regular treatments with oxygen chambers curing all sorts of things, long ago - but it was just stories by the time i heard it

interesting to hear some closer hand perspectives

one of the ideas about dolphins (and whales) being so funky is that they are mammals with bodies built for supreme breath control

dolphin-universe-9943.jpg

I had heard similar stories, diluted by multiple degrees of separation. This is the first time I had heard first hand experiences. The potential is amazing!

Oh? I did not know that about dolphins and whales. What does their unique breathing mechanics allow them to do?

Sign in to follow this