ValleyStream

Tea/Tisane

Yes. I found a cool tea shop when I was in Durango this spring, and that's where I picked up those first two I mentioned. They had a lot of other good blends but I could only justify spending so much money on tea, since I was freshly unemployed and had already stocked up on a ton of green and wulong tea. Had never heard of adaptogens before then.

Vanilla...interesting. I'll give it a try. I'm less into sweets, but who knows, I may like it!

The same tea shop had a blend called "spiritual purification" or something like that...but rightly or wrongly, I kind of have alarm bells that go off in my head when things are marketed that way.

• Like 1

I used to enjoy green tea very much, but am keeping away from as many caffeine sources as I can these days.

What are folks favorite tisanes?

Just a very quick brew, like 20-30 seconds, can cut caffeine to unnoticeable levels. It actually can help me fall asleep, as compared to having nothing...similar to a "hormetic effect".

Just a suggestion...respecting the choice to cut caffeine sources entirely though!

• Like 1

I've also heard that the practice of washing the tea leaves before the first infusion cuts down on a bit of the caffeine. Pour the hot water on them in whatever you're brewing them in, and pour it right back out. Then do your first infusion.

But if you're avoiding caffeine, then yeah, there are plenty of other teas out there with no caffeine at all.

• Like 1

Taiwanese Oolong is my favourite. A lovely clear, clean, beautiful tasting tea. No bitter aftertaste or sharpness on the tongue.

I'm also partial to a bit of Pu Erh, Genmaicha, Sencha and Silver Needle White Tea.

Taiwan oolongs really are great...I do 99% of my tea shopping from a Chinese tea store, but I buy from one other shop, here and there, just to get an oolong from Taiwan. Much smoother and sweeter.

Guys do you mind giving shop links ?

What about the gaiwans ? Do that really add something up ? Size ?

Sounds like I have something to try !

For Taiwan oolongs, I go here: http://www.redblossomtea.com

That's not to say it's the best or only place, it's just the best I've found.

All my other tea comes from here: http://www.sevencups.com

What's your question about gaiwans?

Any brewing method will do. For years, all I did was put the tea leaves in a cup/mug/glass. 90% or more of them will sink to the bottom within a couple minutes of pouring hot water in there. Some teas can be stubborn and not sink...but for the most part they sink and get out of your way. Hotter water helps them sink. Just add more hot water when you're down to about 1/4 full.

But there are all kinds of ways to brew. Teapots, gaiwans, infusers etc.

Most gaiwans are pretty small...I try to look for the larger ones. Mine is 6oz, and it's slightly larger than average. Most yixing pots are pretty small, too.

I try. Back at home, there was good water, so I just had it in a Britta-style filter. On the road, I kind of just used whatever I had last found to fill my water jugs...sometimes municipal water, but often water from wells out in boonies. Which can be good or bad...I put it through one of these, so it wouldn't be too bad.

Where I'm staying for the winter, we have a counter-top water filter I use for any drinking water/tea.

What do you use?

Now, mate tastes to me like it's been dried with cigarette butts. Gross. I really don't like it anymore. Not sure if it's just the one company, or all mate, but I think I don't like it anymore.

But then if I only tried green tea from store bought tea bags, I wouldn't like it, either.

Mate is super sensitive to preparation as to how well it tastes. Don't let your water temperature get above 175 F and you should have much less strength. Granted it all depends on which one you get as well. Many people use a half orange juice and half water brew.

Anyone try Spring Dragon Longevity Tea from Dragon Herbs? It´s basically gynostemma with other herbs (schizandra, goji berry, etc) infused in. Thinking of getting some.

Liminal

Anyone try Spring Dragon Longevity Tea from Dragon Herbs? It´s basically gynostemma with other herbs (schizandra, goji berry, etc) infused in. Thinking of getting some.

Sounds good. For me winter is the time for Genmai; roasted green tea with toasted brown rice, its sweet, a little thick, filling and oh so cheap. I can get 8 or 9 ounces for $5 or $6 bucks at a local Japanese grocery.

• Like 1

Well I'm sure I'd been using boiling water, so that's a good place to start. Thanks.

I made that mistake once. I nearly didn't make it to the toilet in time. All those xanthines... :wacko:

What is your favorite type of tea?

My favorite light oolong is Tie Guan Yin

My favorite dark oolong is Da Hong Pao

My favorite green tea is Taiping Houkui

• Like 1

I'm guessing if the Mountain Valley Spring Water "store locator" doesn't do anything when I enter my zip, that means they don't distribute there? Or maybe it's broken...

That is the biggest issue...plastic. I was in central America last week, and I had to be really careful to specify a glass of water. The water out of the tap is perfectly drinkable, where I was. Usually they asked, but if they didn't, and I didn't specify, they'd bring me a plastic bottle of water. And of course the safe water out of the tap doesn't cost anything...

Then there's the airplane! I found myself getting a soda or sugary juice, because I could ask for the whole can. If you get water, it's coming out of a plastic water bottle, poured into a plastic cup. And on the first flight I made the mistake of ordering coffee and thought "doh!" when they handed it to me in a styrofoam cup... :) Been too long since I flew, obviously.

I got pretty dehydrated on the flight home, trying to avoid plastic and styrofoam.

Anyway...

What are people's thoughts on different cup materials, on taste? I'm completely ok with drinking out of stainless steel, but when I put my tea in a steel to-go mug, it has a totally different taste. I don't notice quite as much difference between ceramic and glass, but steel, definitely. Plus I was spoiled by living in the same town as a ceramic artist residency program, and it's pretty popular among the potters to make tea cups and tea pots, following in the tradition of the Chinese roots of ceramics.

• Like 1

What are people's thoughts on different cup materials, on taste? I'm completely ok with drinking out of stainless steel, but when I put my tea in a steel to-go mug, it has a totally different taste. I don't notice quite as much difference between ceramic and glass, but steel, definitely. Plus I was spoiled by living in the same town as a ceramic artist residency program, and it's pretty popular among the potters to make tea cups and tea pots, following in the tradition of the Chinese roots of ceramics.

I'm personally cool with plastic cups, but not plastic water bottles...brief contact with plastic won't be as bad as sitting in plastic for months.

I get spring water in glass jugs delivered by Mountain Valley. I had to google it to find it in my area...not use the locator on the website.

• Like 1

I think as long as we aren't talking hot liquids, I'd agree.

I finally got a form to come up on their site asking for my info, so a local distributer could contact me...Googling didn't do much good except to see that it's listed on some local restaurant menus, so it's clearly around here. For now, though...I don't think I need to be buying water in individually packaged servings, when I have a good water filter in the house.

But if I ever have an office or shop or something and want to put in a water cooler, I may revisit that..

In winter I love to drink Jin Jun Mei tea - its has rich fruity aroma, and delicious tase. As for oolongs -I do like Taiwanese oolongs, they are really great.

Best regards,

Kara

• Thanks 1

I finished my oolong, I seem to be sticking to high quality sencha green tea and puerh - but it will be time to buy some more tea soon :)

I've recently gotten interested in some pu-erh and oolong, and the intricacies of brewing gung fu style.

I really enjoy it and I would drink it all the time if possible, but I am very sensitive to caffeine it seems and any more than once in the morning and once in the afternoon, really seems to disrupt my balance... I find I yawn more and sometimes more jittery.

Right now I'm working through some "Plum Nectar" Red Oolong from Taiwan Sourcing...

On 4/29/2019 at 10:12 PM, Fa Xin said:

I've recently gotten interested in some pu-erh and oolong, and the intricacies of brewing gung fu style.

I really enjoy it and I would drink it all the time if possible, but I am very sensitive to caffeine it seems and any more than once in the morning and once in the afternoon, really seems to disrupt my balance... I find I yawn more and sometimes more jittery.

Right now I'm working through some "Plum Nectar" Red Oolong from Taiwan Sourcing...

How long do you steep it? I found that 30 second steep with most oolongs didn't affect me that way...although with aged teas that's another matter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

How long do you steep it? I found that 30 second steep with most oolongs didn't affect me that way...although with aged teas that's another matter.

Good question. I use a longer steep but smaller amount of leaves. Maybe 45-60 seconds but only use 2-3g. The oolongs don’t do it as much as the pu erh. 

Pu-erh has been said to have a low caffeine amount, but I found if you steep for too long the caffeine in it can be very high. I also found it’s a very earthy tea, which could account for the sleepiness. 

• Like 1

Speaking about pu-ehr teas, how do folks break open the brick when the block is insurmountably unbreakable?

This year I broke open my first pu-ehr/mum tea. I steamed it repeatedly as I was able to break off pieces. But still it was a challenge. (A hammer to the outside of the block did not break it.)