Unseen_Abilities

Iron Hand development

All of a sudden, I can hit very powerfully...it's funny how you practise for 'x' amount of time and then become conscious of your development all at once. I feel like I could nearly break a brick wall now - not any walls around here I could really try that on, but it's pretty cool!

• Like 2

I mainly do Iron Hand as part of the freestyle training that I do - I own Sifu Chris Lomas' Iron Hand DVD and training bag, and I use breathing exercises combined with the Dit Da Jow like he demonstrates in the DVD. It's easy to injure yourself doing this, so I'm careful.

Edited by Unseen_Abilities
  • Like 1

Ok yes, I just wanted to say you shouldn't do this without Dit Da Jow but because you mentioned it everything is OK.

• Like 2

I feel like if I can get my energy to my fists it doesn't really hurt. The left one does usually hurt but that one I can't get as much of a flow. There's so much precision in it to get it happening properly.

When I was living in Montreal, I was with my sifu in the Chinatown and searched the Chinese medicines stores for the Dit Da Jow he was looking for a specific brand. So I was supplying from there, I can recognize the label on the bottle and the look of the bottle but I have no idea what was written on it. Anyway he told me it should be "Shaolin Dit Da Jow" for bruises, because there are other tinctures under the name of Dit Da Jow for other various purposes.

Where do you get the Dit Da Jow?

These days? Amazon.com :D

Or chinatown. Zheng gu shi (sp?) is good. Red box, white writing.

• Like 1

Is Iron Palm something that is taught in internal maetial arts?

Not to my knowledge. But then, the division into external and internal martial arts strikes me as a little artificial. I.e. look at Wing Lam: Ultimate Iron Palm - for each technique it mentions to what percentage the power is external and internal, respectively.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

yes there is internal iron hand training. also never use a jow that comes in a plastic bottle for serious training.

consider when you watch someone 'break' what type of chi kung that they did before stepping up to do the break.

• Like 2

from wikipedia

Iron Palm is a broad term covering many different conditioning methods. Some Iron Palm systems are considered internal and others are purely external in training methods. Martial artists who practice Iron Palm training are not unified in their training and techniques. Some teachers treat their Iron Palm methodology as a valuable secret, and only share their specific techniques, training methods, and herbal remedies with a select few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Palm

Anyone able to tell me about Iron Crotch training? :D

Need to get a teacher for that particular practice. Since you are dealing with uhm, things you might need later in life ;).

Yeah well you'll probably need your hands later in life too.

I started training this and made my own jit da jiu (nobody chinese knew what i was talking about when i started off saying jow) using cheap vodka and herbs from a chinese herb shop. I made my own bag from an old jean leg and large gravel. Hands were getting pretty tough but i stopped because i was a bit worried i might make my hands sore when i'm old. I've heard lots of people at work complaining about sore hands because they did this and that when they were young.

I'm sure if i continued training until my death my hands wouldn't get sore, but starting and stopping these things usually stuffs ya up i find. I used to do a couple of hand strengthening exercises from the shoulin temple manual and now i still get pain in my forearm sometimes on occasion in a certain grip since i quit doing them.

I would be especially careful with training on making joints hard, i'm sure they'd cause the most pain. Now i just do it a bit every now and then just to toughen up these computer hands so they get easily damaged in training.

proper iron hand training is healthy for the hands. it prevents and repairs arthritis, carpal tunnel, it strengthens the tissue, muscle, tendons, bone. you cannot enter into training like this haphazardly. making your own jow without herbal knowledge? the bigger risks to your health by doing iron hand training is to your eyes, heart, liver etc

the term backlash applies. you need to know how to send energy effectively, safely, smoothly you need equanimity while playing this.

never ever strike while angry or upset. treat it like an energy practice becoz that is what it is.

dont play after eating or drinking allow some cool down time

edit to add some promo of my friend, you will notice where rod had broken a bunch of concrete blocks and scott takes the broken remains,half the length, making it tougher to break and he used these to play with.

always resourceful and these vids are dated and scott has gone to new levels

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

Well if anyone wants the recepe i can post it. Its not cheap to make specially if ya use a shit jar and lose 2 bottles of vodka (used 5 or so all up i think +2)

Its pretty strong can feel ya hands tingling after use. Good to have plenty so ya don't be tight with it :)

• Like 1